(08-22-2005) Live 8 stars get hi-tech help for a tuneful DVD - Times Online*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Live 8 stars get hi-tech help for a tuneful DVD

John Harlow and Tom Pattinson

IT is live, but not as we remember it. Pop stars on the forthcoming Live 8 DVD will have their performances “improved” with computer trickery, attracting charges that the official record of the concert is being faked.

During the long hot day of July 2, several singers, including Bono of U2, went briefly off-key while the performance of others, such as Pete Doherty of Babyshambles, was dismissed by critics as an embarrassment.

Blushes will be spared thanks to a computer program called Auto-Tune, described by some as “Botox for the vocally challenged”.

“By cutting up and reassembling notes it can erase the wrinkles and bum notes and make a karaoke drunk sound like Frank Sinatra,” said one technician, who declined to be named.

Auto-Tune has aided singers such as the Spice Girls and Cher, but the four-DVD collection will set its technology against the memory of people who saw the concert.

Unlike well-known pop tricks such as lip-synching, Auto-Tune has remained largely a trade secret. Purists loathe it, saying it makes every singer sound similar to Milli Vanilli, the pop act infamously caught miming.

Crispin Murray, Live 8’s audio producer, confirmed that the DVD due on sale on November 28 had made use of the Auto-Tune technique: “We are just setting out to make the artists sound as good as they can.” Some of the artists who performed during the biggest live concert in the world have been to a west London studio to assist Murray in “tweaking” their sound in the mixing room, but this did not involve re-recording vocals.

Last week Doherty, who played with the Libertines before his drug problems led him to set up his own group, was recording in the studio next door to Live 8’s engineers, but it is not known whether he popped in for a damage report.

His erratic performance of Marc Bolan’s Children of the Revolution with Sir Elton John was roundly dismissed as one of the low points of the global spectacular.

Pete Waterman, the veteran pop producer, said that it would need a lot more than tweaking to make the song enjoyable. “If they can tune that up, I want that tuner please. That would be a miracle machine,” he said. “Mind you, every record producer in the world could do with one of them.”

All the bands who performed at Live 8 surrendered their rights to the performances so nobody can refuse to be on the DVD, as Led Zeppelin did with the original Live Aid show.

It was not just musical differences that prevented some bands joining Live 8 — politics was a big reason for the Rolling Stones turning down the invitation.

Keith Richards, the Stones guitarist, said this weekend that he had not wanted to take part as he found Live 8 “a bit nebulous”.

“I couldn’t believe the pressure, even from 10 Downing Street,” he added. “I heartily applaud what they were trying to do, except that it was tied in with government policy and I always try and separate politics and music.”

Richards said he had been “hit on by Sir Bob [Geldof] and Sir Mick [Jagger]”.

“But I said to Mick, ‘We ain’t doing it, pal. You can do it, but I ain’t’.”

He added: “Bob’s a nice bloke and all that, but ultimately he’s the one who comes off best, isn’t he?”

Whether it was politics or sound quality that concerned the artists, Alex Needham, deputy editor of NME, the music magazine, said that using Auto-Tune would be cheating the Live 8 audience: “It is unforgivable to corrode the authenticity and integrity of the day. Live music is not supposed to be flawless, it’s all about the emotion.”

Jill Sinclair, executive in charge of producing the DVD, said: “It will be different to the live broadcast and it will be better but in terms of rewriting history, we aren’t doing that. We are cleaning history up.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1743834,00.html

Thanks Barbara!

“But I said to Mick, ‘We ain’t doing it, pal. You can do it, but I ain’t’.”

Classic Keef (whether you agree with him or not) :wink:

Reading this article this morning got me to thinking about how I feel the music industry is pushing things too far. It's not music anymore when you have a computer program altering what's coming out of a person's mouth. There's no longer any talent involved. It's no longer real. It's like a picture that's been photoshopped, making things too perfect. Reality can't live up to what's been created and the end product kinda loses some of it's character.

"During the long hot day of July 2, several singers, including Bono of U2, went briefly off-key while the performance of others, such as Pete Doherty of Babyshambles, was dismissed by critics as an embarrassment"

BONO went offkey? which part?

He's a bit sharp on certain parts of One. I noticed it before and it's not bad and I definitely don't think the powers that be should tinker around with these things because of all the above mentioned reasons. Takes away from the integrity of the performances.

I would say only die-hard fans from the artists will know if the singer went off-key, and hardly anyone will care. And for me it's no problem when the text isn't right at every point, that's live. Live DVD's shouldn't sound as studio productions with some clapping included but as real live performances.
I don't understand why verything has to be perfect today.

It's a shame.

I agree, this really sucks. I'll bet 99 percent of the audience didn't even realize Bono was slightly off-key. I certainly didn't notice. All this is going to do is suck the life and personality out of everyone's vocals.

Hey everyone!

THIS IS A PETITION

to u2 and the other artists to use their influence to make sure the show is unaltered. I love this music and the performances and I believe it is important that they remain true. I know they don't want it. All the engineers have to do is boot up protools and remove the damn plug ins. I know coldplay, mccartney and u2 will go for it. I wouldn't boycott buying the dvd because it's for such an important cause, but since IT IS an important cause and IT IS an important historical record of an amazing event - it should be a truthful record of the (some say flawed, I say brilliant) humanity of the day. If your voice quivers a bit with emotion when playing to hundreds of thousands of people and millions worldwide via satellites then it's a testament to the emotion involved and the importance of the occasion.

So, I'll sign up first.

No Autotune! Let it Be!
1. Mike Elkins

if you agree, add your name and others and send this to the bands. If interference.com can help that would be great.
Cheers

Mike Elkins
elkinsmedia@yahoo.com

What a pile of dog fucking shit!
Leave it how it is natural and beautiful.. fricking human beings and there bullshit search for perfection!

U2phan said:
"During the long hot day of July 2, several singers, including Bono of U2, went briefly off-key while the performance of others, such as Pete Doherty of Babyshambles, was dismissed by critics as an embarrassment"

BONO went offkey? which part?

I didn't hear him being off key either, but I did hear Edge's guitar mistake in the "I need your love" part of Unchained melody.
Are they gonna fix that too??
It was so cute it made the audience even laugh (might have been at Bono pulling a face), but that's what a live performance is all about.

Why do we even bother going to all these concerts if we could just put on a (flawless) cd instead?
Because that's how we LIKE it!!!

imagine how much less cool the live version of party girl on uabrs would be without the "guitar hero" part...heck imagine what the boston and slane dvd's would be like with cleaned up vocals...certainly not the same

Back
Top Bottom