(08-18-2005) Kanye West To Support U2? - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2Hearts said:
Bono 3 times as arrogant as Kanye?

You really need to learn more about Bono, dude.

He really is.

I'd even go so far as to say that 3 is a rather conservative estimate. Honestly, Bono's ego is the size of the Solar System.

I don't think Bono ever threw a hissy fit because someone won an award over him. I'd say Kanye is waaaay more arrogant.

But "Jesus Walks" is still all kinds of awesome.

DaveC said:

He really is.

I'd even go so far as to say that 3 is a rather conservative estimate. Honestly, Bono's ego is the size of the Solar System.

I specifically asked for a list of examples of arrogant behavior by Bono (preferrably in his personal life), and I've gotten none. Want some examples of his humility? Read In Conversation, read the Fan Experiences board, or listen to U2's music for once. Where is the monster ego? He has gone out of his way to connect with fans (calling them, giving his cell # out, giving them a ride), but when you've got millions of them, he can't be everything to everybody. There is absolutely no reason to single Bono out as being arrogant while giving other artists a free pass. I think Bono has shown a remarkable ability to remain humble for someone in his position. And half the time, his self-deprecating humor is taken seriously. That's not his fault if people don't get the joke.
And I thought the only people still talking about Bono's huge ego were the masquerading 'reviewers' at Amazon.com.

Last edited:
2Hearts said:

I specifically asked for a list of examples of arrogant behavior by Bono (preferrably in his personal life), and I've gotten none. Want some examples of his humility? Read In Conversation, read the Fan Experiences board, or listen to U2's music for once. Where is the monster ego? He has gone out of his way to connect with fans (calling them, giving his cell # out, giving them a ride), but when you've got millions of them, he can't be everything to everybody. There is absolutely no reason to single Bono out as being arrogant while giving other artists a free pass. I think Bono has shown a remarkable ability to remain humble for someone in his position. And half the time, his self-deprecating humor is taken seriously. That's not his fault if people don't get the joke.
And I thought the only people still talking about Bono's huge ego were the masquerading 'reviewers' at Amazon.com.

Just because I love the man doesn't mean I can't see he is arrogant. And arrogance isn't always bad, Bono directs it well, like Kanye West. But he IS more egotistical and more arrogant, our Bono.

But as the song goes, 'Love is Blindness'. :shrug:

Let's be honest, Kanye is one of the most innovative, important performers in music today. His new album is incredible, dwarfs anything that U2 has released in the past 10 years. They should be so lucky to have someone like 'ye opening for them. However, seeing how the crowd reacted to Kings of Leon (whose set at the Sat. Boston show was bitchin'), even 'ye would have trouble getting the crowd into it. Love to see him though.

griffey123 said:
Let's be honest, Kanye is one of the most innovative, important performers in music today.

That depends on what you consider to be important when it comes to music.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at all. His debut CD is fantastic.

Palace_Hero said:

Just because I love the man doesn't mean I can't see he is arrogant.

Well, I can see that he's not as arrogant as everyone says he is.
I've tried to stick to the facts in this thread, I'm not basing my argurment on my personal affection for him. And like I said before, I'm not comparing him to Kanye. I honestly don't know how arrogant (or not) Kanye is. I could jump to conclusions based on a couple of interviews, but I won't do that.

Ok, since none you can come up with any examples of Bono being arrogant, I'll give you one. The whole bit about being the 'best band in the world' is something most artists don't express publicly. There's some arrogance there. But on the other hand, you have him (and the rest of the band) constantly talking about how they don't have the musical chops of other bands. Bono admits he's a terrible guitar and piano player, and I can't recall him ever really commenting on his voice before. He sure doesn't brag about it. He also depends on his bandmates. That is key. He never singles himself out as the greatest anything, it's always about the band as a whole. Without them, he wouldn't have anywhere near the confidence that he does now. He has said so. He doesn't take any more credit for U2's success (although he is the prinicipal song writer) than he gives out to the other 3. He says he could never be a solo artist b/c he needs the close bond that only comes from being in a band. That really sounds like a raving ego-maniac, doesn't it? :huh:

Last edited:
I think innovative production techniques, song structures, clever, meaningful lyrics are all important to music. I dont know what you value but when you go song for song, it is wildly difficult to find someone in pop music making better stuff than 'ye.

griffey123 said:
Let's be honest, Kanye is one of the most innovative, important performers in music today. His new album is incredible, dwarfs anything that U2 has released in the past 10 years. They should be so lucky to have someone like 'ye opening for them. However, seeing how the crowd reacted to Kings of Leon (whose set at the Sat. Boston show was bitchin'), even 'ye would have trouble getting the crowd into it. Love to see him though.

Spot on.

griffey123 said:

And that is why, my friend, you should go post in the Kanye West forum...

Kanye West = crapola.

griffey123 said:
I think innovative production techniques, song structures, clever, meaningful lyrics are all important to music. I dont know what you value but when you go song for song, it is wildly difficult to find someone in pop music making better stuff than 'ye.

What song structure?
Isn't he sampling?

as for the bono is arrogant argument... that is the #1 reason why people that i talk to who don't like u2 don't like u2. they think bono's an egomaniac. his constant claims to being the best band in the world don't help that image that he's gotten with certain groups of people. as a u2 fan, i can certainly see why people would believe he's an egomaniac... i just don't care. i do believe all the work for the good of humanity he does can excuse him if he gets a big head every now and then.

but alas, on to kanye west...

Now hear ye hear ye want to see Thee more clearly
I know he hear me when my feet get weary
Cuz we're the almost nearly extinct
We rappers are role models we rap we don't think
I ain't here to argue about his facial features
Or here to convert atheists into believers
I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers
The way Kathie Lee needed Regis that's the way I need Jesus
So here go my single dog radio needs this
They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
But if I talk about God my record won't get played Huh?
Well let this take away from my spins
Which will probably take away from my ends
Then I hope this take away from my sins
And bring the day that I'm dreaming about
Next time I'm in the club everybody screaming out
Jesus Walks...
God show me the way because the devil trying to break me down
Jesus Walks...
The only thing that I pray is that me feet don't fail me now

kanye is the u2 of rap. a little bit of rightousness, a little bit punk, a little bit ego, a little bit genious... all rolled into one. think back to the rock and roll hall of fame induction ceremony, where bono was talking about the risk they took by making their second album about God, and how in today's world an act would be dropped immediately, and there never would have been the U2 we know today. now imagine someone in the money, cash, ho's world of rap music having his debut single be about Jesus. think about that risk. a rapper who preaches the gospel. he is as obvious a choice for an opener as he is a bold one.

those with an open mind towards rap will be pleased with the choice. those who despise everything and anything that has do to with rap? well... simply use his opening slot for what the opening slot is really meant for... an opportunity to get a few more icy cold adult beverages in your system before the real show begins. simple as that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom