(08-16-2006) EDUN and ONE Join to Launch New ONE T-Shirt -- PRNewswire*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
EDUN and ONE Join to Launch New ONE T-Shirt

NEW YORK, Aug. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- EDUN, the socially conscious clothing brand created by Ali Hewson, Bono and New York clothing designer Rogan Gregory, has partnered with ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History to launch a new ONE T-shirt made by EDUN at Nordstrom stores and Nordstrom.com ($40 retail). The project will help fight global AIDS and extreme poverty, and bring fair trade and AIDS treatment to factory workers and their families in Lesotho, Africa.

By buying this T-shirt, made in Lesotho of 100% African cotton, consumers will help bring trade to an area with extremely high unemployment. Located in southern Africa, Lesotho's apparel industry is the major form of employment sector in this landlocked country of 1.8 million people, accounting for approximately 40 percent of the country's jobs. With an average per capita income of just $402, Lesotho is classified as one of the poorest developing countries in the world.

By wearing this T-shirt, people will also join ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History in the fight against global AIDS and extreme poverty. ONE is a new effort to rally Americans to do even more to save lives in Africa and the world's poorest countries.

EDUN will donate $10 from every T-shirt sold to the Apparel Lesotho Alliance to Fight AIDS (ALAFA) fund, which provides life-saving prevention and medicines to factory workers and their family members in Lesotho. The initiative will help 45,000 Lesotho apparel workers -- mostly women and one third of whom are estimated to be infected with HIV -- fight back against a pandemic that claims the lives of roughly 2,300 people in Lesotho's apparel industry every year.

Lesotho has one of the highest AIDS rates in the world, with 29 percent of the population infected. More than 55,000 of those infected are in desperate need of anti-retroviral therapy, a figure vastly outnumbering the 1,000 currently receiving these essential life-saving drugs.

The print campaign shot by supermodel and photographer Helena Christensen was art directed by Tar Art Media co-founder Evan Schindler who was the founder, creative and editorial director of BlackBook magazine for ten years before selling it in 2005.

Top names in Hollywood and music, Naomi Watts, Kate Bosworth, Lindsay Lohan, Rosario Dawson, Djimon Hounsou, Q-Tip, Gary Oldman, Gabriel Byrne, Peter Sarsgaard, Jimmy Fallon, Damon Dash and Rachel Roy, plus indie favorites Mark Ronson, James Iha, MisShapes, Saul Williams, Ben Cho, Diego Garcia (Elephant) gave their invaluable support to help reach and engage people in
the fight against global AIDS and extreme poverty. The entire campaign is available to view on www.edun.ie and on www.ONE.org (as of Sept 1).

The ONE T-shirt made by EDUN, will be available at Nordstrom on September 11, 2006. The tee will be sold exclusively at Nordstrom (USA), Harvey Nichols (UK), Printemps (France) and Isetan (Japan) as well as online at one.org, edun.ie, nordstrom.com.

ordered... ready on August 30th it said. :ohmy:

This is a great order:
it kills 3 birds with one stone:

You get your ONE shirt
Help Africa
& Edun shirt all in One!

Last edited:
Just ordered ONE white women's t-shirt and ONE black women's t-shirt.

I can't wait to receive my order either, especially because I have been part of a local humanitarian organization in my community that has been in Lesotho for years.

So I know first-hand about the challenges that this tiny and desperately poor southern African country faces, especially regarding the AIDS pandemic.

EDUN establishing their manufacturing base in Butha-Buthe, Lesotho has meant so very much to give hope and a renewed sense of pride to these very ancient and royal people. :hug:

So I will be wearing my ONE shirts for more than just ONE reason.

Great news! :bonodrum:

Oh cool the shirts Bono & Ali gave us the preview of in Africa!

bonoafricaoneshirt5-17-06.jpg

Please Standby fo Transmission:Great idea for a great cause.Why aren't they being sold in store's that will reach a larger group of consumer's,Target,Old Navy etc.?My wife never shop's at Nordstroms.Nothing against high end store's but for peolple watching there budget's they will shop mainly at the moderately priced store's.The faster fund's can be raised the faster the people in Africa will recieve the anti-retroviral therapy they so desperateley need.I highly recommend they cast a wider net for this clothing brand.Peace,the Rockmeister

Your idea (selling EDUN at more moderately priced stores), Rockmeister, has been suggested several times before either privately or publicly to EDUN over the last two years.

Here's one time that I can recall:

http://forum.interference.com/t133103.html

I don't think of us in this thread are a regular Nordstrom's customer but are willing to be one to support EDUN and fair trade with African countries.

Perhaps we have to accept the fact that for people who have the money that Ali and Bono have, Nordstrom's IS a moderately priced store.

LOVE AND PEACE.... :yes:

ROCKMEISTER said:
Please Standby fo Transmission:Great idea for a great cause.Why aren't they being sold in store's that will reach a larger group of consumer's,Target,Old Navy etc.?My wife never shop's at Nordstroms.Nothing against high end store's but for peolple watching there budget's they will shop mainly at the moderately priced store's.The faster fund's can be raised the faster the people in Africa will recieve the anti-retroviral therapy they so desperateley need.I highly recommend they cast a wider net for this clothing brand.Peace,the Rockmeister

Because Old Navy and Target are stores that sell the type of clothes EDUN is against - cheap clothes made with cheap materials by people who are basically slave labor in developing countries.

Also, EDUN is not a charity; they don't raise money to donate to Africa. The point is to set the example that you CAN create profitable, sustainable business by treating people fairly and including those in the developing world.

Besides, I don't see the difference buying a shirt from Nordstrom.com than buying a shirt from Target.com or Gap.com. I shop exclusively at Gap Outlet and Old Navy Outlet because that's what I can afford, but I want the shirt from Nordstrom's because it's more than just a piece of clothing.

Hopefully as EDUN grows, it can start producing less-expensive clothing lines so more people can support its philosophies with their dollars. There are companies like American Apparel that make sweatshop-free clothing at reasonable prices and are getting enough notice that someday all clothing will be made in more responsible ways.

I do, though, understand the frustration of wanting to support EDUN but not having a few hundred dollars to blow on a pair of jeans, regardless of the good intentions that went into making them.

dsmith2904 said:
I do, though, understand the frustration of wanting to support EDUN but not having a few hundred dollars to blow on a pair of jeans, regardless of the good intentions that went into making them.

Yes, me too. I'd rather spend $17 on my jeans and give the other $183 to the African Well Fund, if I had $200.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Because Old Navy and Target are stores that sell the type of clothes EDUN is against - cheap clothes made with cheap materials by people who are basically slave labor in developing countries.

Also, EDUN is not a charity; they don't raise money to donate to Africa. The point is to set the example that you CAN create profitable, sustainable business by treating people fairly and including those in the developing world.

I don't know - I think trade barriers and agreements also have something to do with it. Most of the clothes I buy have labels indicating they are made in Asia or South America. I'm sure African nations would like similar factories. I think the US has more favorable trade agreements with those continents than with Africa.

I can't really afford those clothes as well. Spent much money the last time on U2 by U2 for $87, but will ask my parents if they give it me as a birthday present so I won't have to pay full price. Today my amazon order arrived with two Bill Bryson books and the Welcome to Sarajevo DVD (stunning film, really kills all the joy for some hours), and now I'll have to save money for my studying.

Besides there is only one store that sells Edun clothes in Munich, and I'm living at the other side of Germany. The other stores are all abroad.

But when I have the money I will look for some clothes from Edun as well as other Fair Trade products. I really want to help the workers more than those big companies with their million dollars of profit every year.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Besides, I don't see the difference buying a shirt from Nordstrom.com than buying a shirt from Target.com or Gap.com. I shop exclusively at Gap Outlet and Old Navy Outlet because that's what I can afford, but I want the shirt from Nordstrom's because it's more than just a piece of clothing.

I love my Target and the clothes too. I do wish they sold that kind of wears there. :(

JCOSTER said:

I love my Target and the clothes too. I do wish they sold that kind of wears there. :(

It will happen as companies like Edun start getting more notice. Nearly every grocery store now has a selection of organic items so it's only a matter of time before chain stores start carrying organic, fair trade and sweatshop-free garments. If there's public interest and demand, companies will answer.

dsmith2904 said:

It will happen as companies like Edun start getting more notice. Nearly every grocery store now has a selection of organic items so it's only a matter of time before chain stores start carrying organic, fair trade and sweatshop-free garments. If there's public interest and demand, companies will answer.

I think it's a complex issue since trade (quotas, duties, and agreements) is involved. It's also sort of a gray area with companies like Nike and Adidas. They've had campaigns against them for over a decade, and the companies always claims that the factories are locally owned and comply with local labor laws. I think there has been some progress with Oriental rugs and child labor, but it's not as clear-cut with adult labor.

If it's fashionable to be socially aware and support fair trade more and more people will buy that stuff. but those companies have to compete with Nike and Adidas, and so they have to follow trends or set trends, but at least supply what the people want. American Apparel for exmaple is very successful with their marketing and their clothes. Here in Germany we have a company called Trigema that produces T-shirts only here, but the TV spot they had last year wasn't any cool. So they will find it hard to compete with Adidas or Puma, whether they produce here or employ children in Vietnam.

But more and more people get to think about fair trade and start to purchase more from these companies, so I think there will be a market in the next few years. Now it's only in the beginning.

And when the large companies see how they lose market shares you'll see a massive marketing campaign. But careful, taking a look at the policies of Chiquita it's more PR than really being conscious.

Please Standby for Transmission:Thank's to everyone for enlightening me on this topic.I was unaware of those store's using cheap slave labor,and the other post's on this site already talking about these issue's.The problem is not enough store's that sell the sweatshop free garment's.With the price of gas being what it is people will be hesitant to travel furhter to locate the few store's that sell this merchandise.So here's my idea of the day,EDUN buy's out American Apperal they keep that clothing line and all existing employee's and add EDUN's line to it.Just change the name to EDUN.They can then add store's as business increase's.To promote the brand I would have numerous mobile type store's in big truck's and have them travel around the country to various shopping mall's/cities like they were on tour.Hire U2's touring company to pull that off.We all seem to agree on buying sweatshop free clothing.It look's like the next step is getting it to the people that want it.Sorry for confusing the ONE t-shirt campaign to raise money for chairity and EDUN's goal to help people create there own business.Peace ,the Rockmeister

Back
Top Bottom