(08-15-2006) Rhett Hutchence for 'Slide Away' -- The Hollywood News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Exclusive Interview: Rhett Hutchence for "Slide Away"

Ed. Note: Michael Hutchence's brother Rhett spoke to The Hollywood News about the forthcoming biopic "Slide Away" and how he'd like to see Bono portrayed in it. Rhett is serving as consultant and co-executive producer of the film.

When they were teenagers, the brothers Hutchence, Michael and Rhett were separated by their Mother's choice to separate from the boys' father, Kelland, leave Australia and relocate to Los Angeles. Their Mother made a difficult choice - a choice some cannot imagine having to have made - a choice many cannot reconcile as outsiders looking inward;

She decided she could only bring one of the brothers to America with her. Michael went. Rhett was left behind.

Everyone has formative instances in their lives - turning points. This was a seminal one for each of the brothers that shaped who they became in many ways and the dynamic of how they related to each the other as well as to those with whom they entered into relationships.

Portions of this are dealt with in Rhett's book 'Total XS' where Rhett lays bare many feelings and circumstances
surrounding his upbringing and life as brother to one of the worlds' best known rock stars. Total XS is more honest
than most autobiographies, biographies or tell alls (Total XS is an excellent mesh of all three). There is little that has been sanitized here. You get Rhett and Michael for all their foiables.Writing it was reportedly a cathartic experience for Rhett - one that he desperately needed to undergo.

You also get - for the uninitiated - a surprise. Rhett is a natural storyteller (runs in the family) and his humor is engaging.

Days ago it was officially announced that a biopic exploring Michael Hutchence would be going ahead. Both Michael's Trust and Rhett are behind the project, Rhett as both consultant and Co-Executive Producer. Several TV and Radio programmes have swarmed Hutchence for interviews.

We caught up with Rhett via telephone hours ago.

THN: How are you feeling?

RH: Its my first real winter in seven years and I'm not liking it, mate. Kidding. Well, straight answer? Like writing the book (Total XS) its kind of a way to deal with it if you ever really can deal with it. I am very happy with the story direction. Its very sex, drugs and rock and roll but its so very much more than that Slide Away has more dimension and you get a good feel for who Michael really was. It manages to be Rock and sexy, sensual and at times funny and that was Michael. You'll notice when other people who knew him speak of Michael they always speak of his humor self-deprecation and accessibility. These are enviable qualities.

THN: The project deals with some touchy subject matter.

RH: Well, Michael's life was a very interesting one. God he lived. The project (handles the subject matter) in a way I believe everyone is treated pretty fairly and those folks will actually stand behind the project once they get a handle on what it is. A very difficult task to constrict something like this in such a manner that is honorable to Michael's memory, to my niece, to Kylie, etc...

THN: Speaking of Kylie-

RH: I can't say enough good things about her.

THN: She and Bono have been very quiet for a long time on the subject of Michael.

RH: They've been respectful to Michael's memory. They know how they feel and what their personal relationship to Michael was they don't, in my mind, feel they need to prove what they were to my brother in any way shape or fashion. Some people opt to do things for organic reasons - not because it'll get them attention. In the rare instances Bono has spoken publicly about my brother he's been wonderful and then the press twists it into maybe not so wonderful for the sake of a story.

THN: Including some 'interesting' press reports

RH: Some media just don't do their research or they purposefully get it wrong to sell the papers, eh?

THN: Examples?

RH: Kate Moss to play Paula? More correct would be Carrie Ann Moss (Matrix) she'd be great! The kicker was, As my father has, sadly been deceased a few years now, his purported 'anger' towards the project and statements to that effect is not only fairly impossible-its also patently wrong were he still with us. To be certain you'd have to ask my father's wife. She knows how he'd feel dependent upon how the subject matter is handled.

THN: What are your thoughts on Tiger (Michael's daughter) growing up with Geldof?

RH: Its all very surreal and confusing as Bob and Michael were what they were. It is more relevant to ask her.

THN: I saw in Rolling Stone Justin Timberlake cited Michael as one of his vocal influences on his newly released album.

RH: I saw that too.

THN: Who were Michael's influences?

RH: It changed a lot. I mean it depends on the times. Michael's early influences was the stuff we heard growing up in HK, that our parents played, like Diana Ross and Roberta Flack. His first album was Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick", then as the times changed, so did he. He was one of the first to get into New Wave etc, and was always bringing new stuff into the studio for the band to hear, whether it be De La Soul, or Gang of Four. Xmas time for me was a stack of CD's that he liked, or wanted me to, such as Oasis, even Johnny Cash. Prodigy, Music for a Jilted Generation was but would they still be? Lewis Taylor, Portishead, Nick Cave of course, Serge Gainsbourg, the list is endless.

THN: I hear that the soundtrack may include some of these influences?

RH: I can neither confirm nor deny.

THN: Whenever Biopic candidates are nominated for celluloid there are, as with anything, supporters and detractors. Obviously with the media interest being so strong, the biographical information being so rich-nevermind the rockstar elements-the masses are interested, but how do you respond to the query of why Michael?

RH: well, as you say, aside from being one of the last true rock stars, Michael led a very vibrant life. Look at it this way - if a few years ago I had proposed a Johnny Cash film to you would you have tagged 'Walk The Line' as a top picture of the year? To me that and say a Brian Jones biopic are a lottery tickets. Interesting geezers but Michael is more the sure thing. Worldwide he's better known as is his music. And hey, Im a bit biased. Maybe you should ask someone a bit more removed.

--The Hollywood News

Back
Top Bottom