(08-12-2006) Bono: Christ Won't Let the Church Walk Away From AIDS -- Christian Post*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono: Christ Won't Let the Church Walk Away From the AIDS Crisis

By Lillian Kwon
Christian Post Reporter

NEW YORK – Megachurch pastor Bill Hybels received a phone message from someone named Bono – a rock star to millions around the world, but a person Hybels, a country music fan, knew little of.

When he returned the surprising call, Hybels soon discovered that God had orchestrated the crossing of paths with a person that would open his eyes and heart in new ways – a person who was trying to "vision-cast" the churches and wake them up to the HIV/AIDS pandemic.

"I never liked the church," U2's Bono said in an exclusive interview with Hybels, which was featured at the 2006 Leadership Summit on Friday. But ever since the rock star took a Live Aid trip to Ethiopia two decades ago and revisited the questions raised then on poverty and disease, he's been on a mission to get the world and especially the churches on board to fix what is "fixable," as Bono said.

He pondered, how come churches aren't getting on board with the greatest social cause of the day?

Bono himself has been using his celebrity influence to bring attention to the heart-wrenching scene in Africa.

"Music is my first love," he told Hybels, thanking God for his gift. A melody playing in his head inspires him to get up every morning. Bono pointed out another reason that gets him up each day: the ONE Campaign. The campaign, voiced by a host of celebrities with Bono as the leading man, as well as faith communities, was launched to mobilize Americans for the cause of poverty and HIV/AIDS.

Calling the "celebrity" thing "ridiculous," Bono plainly stated, "I'm a rock star ... but I have a head for the world's poor."

Bono – TIME magazine's 2005 Person of the Year along with Bill and Melinda Gates – was featured at the Leadership Summit because he "understands influence," which is what leadership is all about, Hybels explained. And he's leveraging his influence for the sake of the poor and sick.

We want to represent the most poor and vulnerable, Bono said.

When Bono came into Hybels' life, the megachurch pastor found it "ironic" that a rock star was approaching the church with a cry to help the poor and the sick – a command that Jesus had clearly given and that churches were typically known to do. However, churches have always been behind on such issues, said Bono. And he explained the reason being a fear of politics and a judgmental attitude about the AIDS virus.

While churches have largely been in the charity and homeless feeding scene in their local communities, their presence has been foreign to the millions suffering from HIV/AIDS.

Charity is important, Bono noted, but the desire of the churches for justice is what the world really needs, he added.

Responding to the absence, the rock star emphatically said, "Christ won't let the church walk away from the AIDS emergency."

Church leaders agreed. After Bono's comment, applause rung out among the Leadership Summit attendants at Willow Creek and the Christian Cultural Center in Brooklyn – one of some 125 “satellite sites” nationwide participating in the annual leadership conference.

"'Love thy neighbor' is not advice," said the rock artist. "It's a command.

"We can be the instrument of God's grace."

Speaking from the pulpit, as Hybels described it, to tens of thousands of church leaders, Bono told them, "Let's walk together ... [and] stand up for the least of these."

And in recent years, the Church has stood up, or as Bono described it, "something dreadful happened – the Church started to wake up." He now holds respect for the Church.

In partnership with World Vision, Willow Creek Association created the Courageous Leadership Award where the church that most exemplifies the gospel in action (associated with HIV/AIDS service), will be awarded $100,000 to help fund that particular church initiative. The winner will be selected and awarded at next year's Leadership Summit.

In the meantime, the exclusive interview with Bono which includes scenes of U2 concerts is being made available, by Bono's permission, to each church that wants to show it to awaken the congregation to the AIDS pandemic. Copies will be made only from Willow Creek and from there distributed.

Taken from their website "Willow creek Association"

"Since 1992, the Willow Creek Association has been linking like-minded, action-oriented churches with each other and with strategic vision, training, and resources. Our desire is to serve local church leaders in building biblically functioning churches that reach increasing numbers of lost people, not just with innovations from Willow Creek, but with God-given breakthroughs with widespread potential from any church in the world. The WCA is a not-for profit ministry with more than 11,000 Member Churches from 90 denominations and 45 countries. They represent a wide variety of sizes, denominations and backgrounds, and are ministering in literally every corner of the world. As they pursue their own unique, God-given vision for ministry in their community, Member Churches confirm a shared commitment to Christ and a passion for reaching lost people."

Since they seem to be connected to many denominations and countries, it was smart of Bono to use this venue to spread the word of the One Campaign and get more people involved.

Saw this posted at atu2.com:

Bono Wins Friends in Church Set

His message to religious leaders focused on meeting 'Christ in working with the poor.'

Raleigh News and Observer, August 12, 2006

Yonat Shimron

They may not be at the front of the line for U2 concert tickets, but a crowd of mostly evangelical pastors was wowed Friday by the band's frontman and all around do-gooder, Bono.

Just as he had won over former U.S. Sen. Jesse Helms, Bono earned the admiration of 350 Triangle pastors during a teleconference beamed in to Hope Community Church in Raleigh.

Speaking as a preacher, the rock musician struck a chord, declaring that no one can enter God's kingdom if they do not serve the poor.

"The main thrust of the Scriptures is to meet Christ in working with the poor," he said.

His appearance was part of a three-day church conference on leadership held by Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill. As one of the nation's first megachurches, Willow Creek has embarked on a mission to help pastors develop leadership skills. Its annual conference reaches 70,000 pastors and lay leaders across the world -- all connected by satellite and beamed onto giant TV screens.

Bono was interviewed by megachurch pastor Bill Hybels in a Dublin hotel near the singer's home earlier this year. In the interview, he spoke of a trip he made to Ethiopia in 1985 that opened his eyes to hunger and poverty, and eventually to AIDS.

It was a passionate talk on the part of the rock-star-turned-humanitarian, who has championed causes such as poverty, AIDS and debt relief to struggling nations.

"Christ won't let you walk away because it's difficult, expensive and a moral hazard," Bono said, speaking of the AIDS epidemic.

Bono's activism on the world stage earned him the honor of Time magazine's Person of the Year last year. He has rubbed shoulders with heads of state and became the unlikely friend of Helms, changing the conservative North Carolinian's stance on AIDS in Africa.

But the source of his activism lies with his faith. Bono quoted Scripture liberally, especially the passage in the fourth chapter of Luke's Gospel where Jesus preached of freeing the oppressed and reaching out to the poor.

At the same time, Bono made clear he is not just a wide-eyed liberal. He spoke of salvation, redemption and grace -- doctrines beloved of more orthodox Christians. Then he counseled church leaders to think strategically.

"What's in the way of getting things done?" he asked pastors to consider, adding later, "The world is more malleable than you think. You can wrestle it from fools."

The Rev. Erin Currin, the executive pastor at New Horizons Fellowship in Apex, said she feared Bono might push a left-leaning political vision -- something that would have alienated the mostly conservative crowd.

"I was grateful that he expressed himself in a way that transcended politics," Currin said.

Change of heart

Churches have been coming around to Bono's vision. Evangelicals across the spectrum have begun to take on AIDS in ways they may have recoiled from years ago when the disease was considered a gay plague. Megachurch pastors such as Hybels and California's Rick Warren have taken numerous trips to Africa and have begun to agitate the larger Christian community to take action. Many, such as Hybels, the nation's megachurch guru, loudly proclaim AIDS as "the single greatest humanitarian crisis of our day," and add that God will judge them based on how they respond.

Bono, however, told pastors it wasn't God's judgment alone that should motivate them to help ameliorate AIDS or poverty.

"We mustn't describe it as a burden or a duty," Bono said. "It's an opportunity, an adventure."

His message won fans.

"We need more human beings in this world that care about the human race like he does," declared Elizabeth Feliciano, 63, a member of Crossroads Fellowship in Raleigh, who admitted she didn't like rock music.

(c) News and Observer, 2006.

+

http://atu2.blogspot.com/

Bono's chat with Willow Creek's Bill Hybels

Bill20Hybels20with20Bono.jpg

Hello everyone! Just back from today's session at the Willow Creek Leadership Summit and I wanted to give a quick update. A full story will follow in the upcoming days on @U2, but for those who want the quick soundbyte as to what was covered, here you go!

If you caught any of Bono's speeches at UPenn, Harvard, the National Prayer Breakfast, or any of the DATA-related speaking engagements, then you didn't miss much. Speaking to a global audience of over 80,000 people simultaneously, Bono took the opportunity during his interview with the founder and Senior Pastor of Willow Creek Community Church outside of Chicago to challenge christian church leaders to take up the cause for Africa.

The interview was recorded a few weeks ago at a hotel near Bono's home in Dublin.

The one thing I'd like to comment on is how awesome it was to 1) enjoy U2's music in a church setting, 2) watch the audience's reaction to things U2 fans have heard millions of times (Bono drinking game anyone?), and 3) hear Bono state "I am not Mother Teresa" and realize I wasn't the only one laughing. (OK - maybe that's 3 things to comment on.)

Bono20interview20with20Bill20Hybels.jpg

"We need more human beings in this world that care about the human race like he does," declared Elizabeth Feliciano, 63, a member of Crossroads Fellowship in Raleigh, who admitted she didn't like rock music.

^THAT is a very powerful statement, and one I am happy to see more and more non U2 fans, non rock music fans realizing and believing. Bono is an amazing individual. It is at times like this, to read something such as this 63 year old woman's comment, and swell with pride being a U2 and Bono fan as well as fellow activist with some of the albeit small scale contributions I have made to many of these organizations.

From my own brother, the pastor, who attended a satellite viewing:

It was cool. I'll have the DVD of the full interview in October, but I'm sure someone down there at Fellowship (my church) will have multiple copies floating around by then.

He was great, he was kind, but in your face, quoting scripture back and forth to pastors saying essentially "you tell me what your going to do about this." He stated AIDS is the leprosy of our day and the greatest humanitarian disaster ever and we're choosing to ignore it- which we cannot do in our modern global village. There's no way we'll be able to tell Christ we didn't know about it, or that we couldn't do anything about it, or any other excuse. In today's world "everyone" is our neighbor.

He's very encouraged that the church has begun to wake up to the crisis, and talked about erradicating "stupid" hunger; hunger and disease that can easily be stopped. He said of course there's no way we'll stop it all, but we can stop much of it. That some people will just say "well, that's the way the world is..." but it doesn't HAVE to be that way.

It went on for almost 40 minutes without commercials (some live footage). But the main thrust was his involvement in Africa and engaging the Christians in the west to get involved.

Peace.
Mike

:up: :yes:

Back
Top Bottom