(08-11-2004) Beautiful Pay; U2 Spend EUR10Million on Album - The Mirror (Ireland)*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This could be good or bad. Alot of over-the-top hype can sometimes hurt an artist. Look at Britney Spears. The hype attack worked for a while but now people are just sick of her and want her to go away.

In U2's case, I think it will work this time around because it has been so long since the last album. But lets not forget the hype for POP which resulted in lower sales, a tv special that had terrible ratings, and a tour that had some attendance problems.

Originally posted by lov12113 This could be good or bad. Alot of over-the-top hype can sometimes hurt an artist. Look at Britney Spears. The hype attack worked for a while but now people are just sick of her and want her to go away.

Yeah there's always the potential of over-advertising yourselves, getting in people's faces to the point of utter irritation. But I reckon they all know by now what's good and what's going too far.

Jamila said:
I know U2 are probably as hyped as all of us are for the upcoming tour and CD but I really don't think they would need to spend THIS much money on promo for it.

For U2, less has always been more. The TRULY memorable U2 performances are those where there has been little flash and a WHOLE LOT OF HEART. :up:

I loved ZOO TV and POPmart too, but I will always remember the tours like UF and JT, and of course, Elevation as those U2 moments that touched my life the most.:hug:

U2 could simply stand on the top of a building, or in the middle of a street and draw a crowd - is all the hype necessary? :scratch:

Just a thought...

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

Don't confuse the tours with promotion.

U2 promoted the heck out of ATYCLB and AB. For ATYCLB, they appeared on more shows (like SNL) that they ever did before. For JT, U2 did more interviews and more shows than they had done before. For AB, we had posters galore.

Some albums had uneven promotion. I saw virtually nothing for "Zooropa" - but that did well as it rode the back of AB. I saw little for "Pop" (at least for where I lived at the time) and I think that hurt it as well.

So I'm all for promotion, as long as it also includes more interviews and mini-concerts. :yes:

However, this promotion may have absolutely nothing to do with the tour. Despite the extensive JT and ATYCLB promotion, you saw how streamlined those tours were. The quality of the album and the name recognition of a band sells a tour. Promotion only helps an album - and often only for the first few weeks (much like a movie).

bono prob get his arse kicked and then the edge would just come with his guitar and blow yoda's brains out but it would be a good fight nonetheless.. *everyone looks at bug with a complete and utter expressions saying, "what the hell are you doing on this planet?"

Judah said:
Hmm...wasn't the first single due out in September? They better get that famous director quick for the accompanying video....we're approaching the middle of August already. Not sure when they need the single out (before end of October?), to be considered for grammy's et al for this year (not that should be a huge consideration). Anyone know?

Actually, from the looks of things, the Grammy's (and other such awards programs) have been a consideration for many years.

The most recent example was "Beautiful Day" (if I'm not mistaken) which earned Grammy nominations over two years because of its release date. These guys have always (ok, maybe not always, but certainly mostly) gone for that 'borderline' kind of release date, where they can get exposure from the awards shows/best of X year shows for two years time... else they'd be releasing the single in October or later, closer to the album release date, which, as far as I know, would be too late for the year-spanning awards eligibility.

(In other words, shoot out the single NOW, get the award nominations for the single for this year, and the album, which comes out in November, will be eligible for awards for next year... so they can double-deuce it.)

I personally have no problem with this kind of marketing strategy... the more these boys make off their music, the longer they're gonna be around... more tours, more albums, etc... let 'em rake it in!!!

}:)~

P.S. No misgivings over hyping up the new album either.. it's gonna sell, but you gotta take a sledgehammer to the wall of bubble-gum pop and hip-hop/rap to make a dent with a TRULY music-driven album, so why not have a media-blitz strategy? When in Rome, do as the Romans do....

goat

Edit: Cripes I cannot type!

Last edited:
pepokiss said:
Tarantino in the U2 video?.. that would be great :drool:

All I know is that it will be a very happy year :hyper:

Tarantino would rock!

Although, since there seems to be a good friendship between Bono and Martin Scorsesee, my guess would be him.

OR

Spielberg seems to have lost just a little bit of magic lately so maybe he is considering going into music videos. Ha! :wink:

Whoever it is, I really don't want some sort of Michael Jackson type "mini-movie". Besides, U2 can't dance.....and that is perfectly fine by me....I don't pay them to!

Ya, Tarantino has always had great taste in the music he has put into movies...it always seems to fit the scene perfectly. And u2 is very tasteful music :wink:

swizzlestick said:
I'm not getting my hopes up too high...The higher the expectations, the harder the fall if it doesn't meet those expectations.

But exciting news, indeed.

i agree on that part but i am hoping that some of the promo will be massive tv apperances.

i have to admit that the idea of u2 spending 10 mil pounds on promo and advertising is already stirring hype for the new album. LOOKS LIKE the sales tactics are already working :p

Don't be surprised if the director is Spike Jonze. He's done lots of videos and has great style. it'll be interesting if it is him, what he comes up with.

originally posted by agentmissa

Bono: Who's short now!

:lmao: Wow... haven't laughed that hard yet today.

Well, just to make the waiting a little bit more difficult... Of course, I can't say I don't look forward to seeing U2 everywhere I go! Dunno about the director... Martin Scorcese's definitely possible, but I dunno if music videos are quite his thing?

Well, the album comes closer - one day at a time... :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom