(07-28-2005) The Killers Are 'Studying' U2's Moves - NME*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
THE KILLERS ARE 'STUDYING' U2'S MOVES

THE KILLERS have been taking inspiration from U2 following their recent support slot with the band.

Singer Brandon Flowers has revealed that following their string of European dates together, Bono has become a massive influence on him.

“He’s great, we’ve learnt so much,” Flowers told NME.COM. “I saw them on the ‘Elevation’ tour when I’d never even played a gig, so it’s such a strange thing that’s happened to us.”

He added: “To go from the heart of the Las Vegas date to opening for them, I have a whole new perspective watching them!”

Flowers added that watching the band from the wings had given him a few ideas for The Killers’ shows.

”They’re the best band in the world, no doubt about it, and they’re the best live band at the moment and it’s an amazing thing,” he said. “We’ve learnt so much from watching all of them. We’re just going to be good students.”

http://www.nme.com/news/113163.htm

Still more proof that Brandon and The Killers don't have an original idea in all their heads combined. Fuckin' copycats.

Yeah, learning from watching someone who learned from watching David Bowie, Iggy Pop and Ian Curtis. :angry:

Last edited:
brandon should worry more about singing on key for most of the shows and worry less about 'moves'. So far, they've proven to be a great studio band (I love the CD and they have some great songs) but the two times I've seen them live, horrible - and it's due to his singing.

Popmartijn said:
Yeah, learning from watching someone who learned from watchind David Bowie, Iggy Pop and Ian Curtis. :angry:

That's no excuse, bud. A copycat is a copycat is a copycat. And, The Killers are fuckin' copycats.

Last edited:
All bands have influences. I think it's very responsible of Flowers to be taking his role so seriously, and wanting to learn all he can about entertaining people.

Who can blame a band for wanting to emulate U2? No arguments here... The more U2-influenced bands, the better.

I haven't seen The Killers live yet, but really what is so wrong about learning about your craft from one of the masters? :shrug:

"Learning," "watching," and "studying" is not copying.

I think their album is amazing and they have huge potential, which is much more than I can say for certain other "successful" bands at the moment.

And I was in the heart at Vegas too!!! Now I can say Brandon and I have been to a U2 concert together :sexywink: :love:

Rafiennes said:
brandon should worry more about singing on key for most of the shows and worry less about 'moves'. So far, they've proven to be a great studio band (I love the CD and they have some great songs) but the two times I've seen them live, horrible - and it's due to his singing.

I saw The Killers 3 weeks back....Brandon sounded excellent...his voice has been improving greatly and a lot of recent bootlegs sound excellent.....his voice can go on him at times though but thats generally because he is a very nervous guy...he used to have to get absolutely smashed before a gig so he could perform now he doesn't have to........

LJT said:

I saw The Killers 3 weeks back....Brandon sounded excellent...his voice has been improving greatly and a lot of recent bootlegs sound excellent.....his voice can go on him at times though but thats generally because he is a very nervous guy...he used to have to get absolutely smashed before a gig so he could perform now he doesn't have to........

:)

My sister and I are seeing them in about 3 weeks.

kellyahern said:

:)

My sister and I are seeing them in about 3 weeks.

You will love them, the gigs turn into massive sing songs....they are fun and they generally perform brilliantly...show them love and they give it back:wink:

Great....good desicion Brandon, thats saviour
In order to achieve greatness you have to learn from the best....
Good luck

At least The Killers aren't trying to BE U2... unlike a certain other band...

And when I saw The Killers they were fantastic. I was right in front of Brandon Flowers, touching the stage. Incredible. Hopefully he'll learn to interact with the audience more by watching Bono, but he was pretty good about it. And the new song "All The Pretty Faces" rocks a lot.

Only live performance of theirs I've seen has been their performance at Live 8. And I thought they sounded quite good there :shrug:.

Anywho, yay for the Killers...a good band to emulate :up: :). Besides that, keep in mind that these guys are fairly young and new. With time, they could broaden out and really develop their own sound quite well. We should give these new, young bands time to see if they grow at all before we jump all over them.

Angela

As long as the Killers know the difference between getting inspiration and copying, they should be OK. I don't really see any evidence of them blatantly copying U2 - at least not yet.

:up:

The Killers were definitely a pleasant surprise when I saw them in Columbus. Here's to wishing them staying power and to hoping that they can expand their sound as they go along. :applaud:

Everything influences everything...so why be negative?! :D

Back
Top Bottom