(07-27-2006) Bono and Blair Join Murdoch on the Beach -- Guardian Unlimited*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono and Blair Join Murdoch on the Beach

Stephen Brook, press correspondent

It seems almost as many politicians as News Corporations staffers will be present when the great and the good of Rupert Murdoch's empire meet in California this weekend.
News Corp's management conference will start on Sunday with a vastly reduced contingent of News International executives compared with previous years.

Mr Murdoch, the executive chairman, will host the event for 250 key executives at California's Pebble Beach, a peninsular south of San Francisco know for its golf courses and cypress trees.

Les Hinton, the News International executive chairman, will lead a management contingent that will include his lieutenant, Clive Milner, the group managing director of News International, and the bosses of the two national newspaper groups, Paul Hayes, the managing director of Times Newspapers, and Mike Anderson, the managing director of News Group Newspapers, who sits in the adjacent office to that of Mr Hayes in Wapping.
Robert Thomson, the Times editor, will attend with the Times' highly regarded US editor, Gerard Baker, while the News of the World editor, Andy Coulson, will be accompanied by Louise Oswald, the editor of the paper's Sunday magazine. The Sunday Times editor John Witherow is also expected to be present.

The Sun editor, Rebekah Wade, is set take along three of her editorial executives. She has already left Wapping but others, such as Mr Anderson, are not departing until tomorrow.

Under News International convention, deputy newspaper editors remain at their posts while their editors are away, so executives such as the Times deputy editor, Ben Preston, who took part in a previous management think tank, and the Sun deputy editor, Fergus Shanahan, will stay behind at Wapping.

The Pebble Beach get-together is a far cry from the previous events in Cancun, Mexico, and the Hayman Islands off the coast of Australia, which were attended by editors' favourites, such as the Sun TV critic Ally Ross.

This year's gathering will focus on business, world affairs and digital media.

According to a copy of the agenda leaked to the Los Angeles Times, Mr Murdoch will make some opening remarks on Sunday evening before the Californian governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, addresses the ranks of executives. Tony Blair will then take the podium.

U2's Bono will deliver a keynote address entitled The Power of One, former US vice-president Al Gore will talk about climate change, and the Israeli vice-premier, Shimon Peres, will appear on a panel named Islam and the West.

Twenty students and users of MySpace, the internet community and latest jewel in the crown of News Corp, will discuss their attitudes and lifestyles in a live focus group called Meet the MySpace Generation.

Roger Ailes, the Fox News executive, will introduce four US military officers, who will share their experiences of serving in Iraq.

Senator John McCain, the Arizona Republican and presidential hopeful, will give an address on American politics and senator Hillary Clinton will conduct a "town hall-style" discussion as the gathering wraps up Thursday.

AG Lafley, the chief executive of Procter & Gamble, one of the world's biggest advertisers, will talk about building brands.

Former US president Bill Clinton is set to close the conference on Thursday.

James Murdoch, the chief executive of BSkyB, will introduce some of the speakers, while Lachlan Murdoch, who is still a News Corp director despite quitting his management position at the company a year ago, will also attend.

The executives are staying at either the Lodge or the Inn at Spanish Bay, where executive suites start at £535 a night.

Away from the conference, the executives will be able to enjoy 20 leisure activities, including golf, tennis and skydiving. A round of golf can cost £242.

Pebble Beach is managed as a town but is actually a corporation, which was bought recently by a group of investors led by actor Clint Eastwood and golfer Arnold Palmer.

--Guardian Unlimited

sue4u2 said:
Wow. :cool: Now this crowd would make for some interesting cocktail hour(s) conversation.
Oh to be a fly on the wall..:wink:

Yes, to be a fly on the wall. I only live about 200 miles from this gathering . . . maybe I'll just buzz on down.

Pebble Beach is so beautiful!! :drool:
I :heart: the place.
If I were Bono, I'd be there in person.

It's only a hour and a half drive from here.
Of course, this is the only weekend where I already have things planned.
Yeah, nothing in the previous weekends, nothing in the upcoming weekends.
Only this weekend.

But maybe some of the conference go-ers will be at the San Jose Grand Prix before they head to Pebble Beach. :wink: (Yeah, right! :coocoo: )

O well, seeing who else will be there to talk, I assume you probably can't get anywhere near the place.
There must be tons of security around.
And it's a rather easy place to close off to begin with.

I wonder on which day Bono will give his speech.
Also on Sunday evening? After Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tony Blair?
Or on Monday?

Wow first he hangs out with war mongers, now he hangs out with those that spread the warmongers propaganda, it's a good job some of us only take U2's music seriously nowadays.

jinn77 said:
Wow first he hangs out with war mongers, now he hangs out with those that spread the warmongers propaganda, it's a good job some of us only take U2's music seriously nowadays.

So now Bono's a warmonger? :eyebrow:
Talk about guilt by association - by your estimation everyone attending this conference is also a warmonger?

You know what Bono does and why, right? :huh:

If that's not the case then you should read more..

Sounds like an interesting mix of different people. I read in another article that it's not going to be open to the public, though. Probably because of the large number of dignitaries, ex dignataries, and other miscellaneous personalities.

You mean Shimon Peres is actually going to be getting on a plane right now?!?!? He'd better watch his back...Shin Bet won't be there to protect him, and these days even the Mossad have to keep their eyes extra peeled.

Will look REALLLLY good to the average Israeli camping out in a bomb shelter (some of them have been wired for the Net, according to reports), not to mention the refugees in three countries crowded into peoples' homes etc. Go and sip some cocktails and chat while your home country is under attack and your military has reduced much of Lebanaon to rubble. Bravo. If this is some sort of George W Bush-esque "message the Enemy" (downplay all the suffering that's going on so they'll think you're not "weak"), I hope nobody buys it. As the martyred Mr Rabin's 2nd in commnand, I had respect for you, up until I just read this....

As for Bono, you can make any conclusion you want. This is not like some Rose Garden photo op. I hate Citizen Murdoch too, but I don't have to hang aorund with him do I? If he's got "the enemy" there too, I don't have to hang out with him.

Personally, if it was me invited, and I had influence, I'd go, just to get my claws (metaphorically speaking) into Peres. I'd go for that alone.

Boy, if I was a fly on the wall, indeed...I'm sure Bono will search him out. I know he was no fan of Sharon. I can guess his feelings about all this...

Oh, and speaking of the ME, I'd guess Edge and his in-laws must be having some pretty interesting conversations these days. Edge spent some time in Israel when he met Morleigh's parents in Jerusalem in the mid-90's, and he later helped them immigrate to LA....

Teta040 said:

Oh, and speaking of the ME, I'd guess Edge and his in-laws must be having some pretty interesting conversations these days. Edge spent some time in Israel when he met Morleigh's parents in Jerusalem in the mid-90's, and he later helped them immigrate to LA....

:huh:

...What?

hotpepper said:

Yes, to be a fly on the wall. I only live about 200 miles from this gathering . . . maybe I'll just buzz on down.

hotpepper, Bono will be the Dinner Keynote speaker on Monday night, July 31st. (no time given)

By the way the Agenda is reading, Bono just might be there in person.

I don't know if these people gathered at this conference would want to listen to a Dinner Keynote speaker via video. :wink:

But then, this is just my educated guess.

Check out the Conference Agenda at this link here:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local/la-fi-fox28jul28,0,6533032.story?track=rss

hotpepper, if B is there - you owe me, girl. :sexywink:

I wish you well.

:ohmy:

Thanks the link to the conference agenda, Jamila!!

I was already thinking keynote speech on Monday.
Given that the conference starts with Schwarzenegger and Blair on Sunday evening.

Jamila said:
I don't know if these people gathered at this conference would want to listen to a Dinner Keynote speaker via video. :wink:

Hehehe!
Yeah, I highly doubt that too.

Tony Blair will be there in person for sure.
He's in SF right now.

Britain's Blair visiting S.F. for weekend
Prime minister will hold trade talks, discuss environment and foreign policy

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/07/28/MNG3MK79F31.DTL

I wouldn't be surprised if Bono travelled with him.
He could very well be in SF right now.

Lots of stuff he can be here for.

Another visit to GAP headquarters for Red (it's almost fall! launch of the product red GAP clothing line?) , Yahoo (who's helping out with the One website), Google (perhaps), Apple/Steve Jobs (maybe).
Or a meeting at Elevation Partners (the private equity firm he's a partner of)

Last edited:
Teta040 said:

Go and sip some cocktails and chat while your home country is under attack and your military has reduced much of Lebanaon to rubble.

Personally, if it was me invited, and I had influence, I'd go, just to get my claws (metaphorically speaking) into Peres. I'd go for that alone.

First you reduce it to cocktails and chats... then say you would want to be there if you had influence..

You are there my dear.. Just by virtue of the fact that you, I suppose, are one of the voices of ONE!!

Just for the record, Bono has influence that's why he's the keynote speaker..
much love :heart:

sue4u2 - thanks for setting everyone straight!

Jamila - thanks for the agenda! :wave:

Miringeltje - I saw your PM - I'm currently at a dinnner party and just taking a email/inteference break. I'll answer you soon!

I wish I still lived in the Bay Area! I LOVE Pebble Beach and the Monterey/Carmel area! What I wouldn't give to stay at the Inn at Spanish Bay too! Much too ritzy for me.....but this sounds like quite an affair, and one if Bono is there in person would most definitely keep my interest!

If anyone goes.........Miri......Lori......you'd better report in!

The only thing is that this event is completely closed to the public and if Bono shows up he will probably be whisked in and out of the conference fairly quickly - but showing and trying to see him never hurts. :hyper:

When I read Bono's name together with Blair's and Murdoch's in one sentence, I cringed.
One thinks that Blair and Peres would have other things to worry about at the moment.
But looking at the participants of that event made me feel a little better about it, that's quite a mixture.
Good for Bono, I say, he will use whatever influence he has to bring some positivity into this whole mess.
We all should be familiar with Bono's strategy of lobbying people into his Africa issue by now. I love the man, still it's sometimes hard for me to see him associated with the likes of Bush etc. But I think Bono has made it quite clear what he is doing and why he is doing it. And to NOT accept such an invitation if the power of addressing those people is given to him would be foolish. They are taken him serious enough to have him as keynote speaker, that's a good thing.
And I really really really hate Murdoch and his media.

Those of you who are going despite the fact that it's a closed thing: I wish you luck, mabye you'll catch more than a glimpse of the man. Hope there'll be some photos as well.

Just want to throw something out into the forum. Its's funny how Bono railed against the underhand U.S intervention in El Salvador In the 80's. It was a "right on" thing to do and i guess it would have appealed to the "right on " demographic of the western record buying world. Why does he fear condemning war criminals such as Blair and Bush? I hate to sound too cynical but maybe condemning U.S intervention in the middle east is a little too emotive compared to indirect U.S intervention in small South American countries which would lead to adverse record sales figures, especisally in the U.S. Im sorry but in my opinion, and I would like to make this clear, Bono has to stop associating himself with Bush, Blair, Murdoch et al, the real axis of evil.

Bono HAS condemned the anti-terror-strategies of Bush and Blair.
I think it's pretty clear where he stands regarding these issues.
He's not associating himself with Blair and Bush because he likes them so much or is a fan of their policy. He's not a politician, but an activist and his role is to convince politicians to give money to certain causes, in his case: Africa. And this is exacly what he is doing.
I don't like to see him with these people either, but I acknowledge that this is something he has to do in order to get what he wants.
The problems Africa is facing are very complicated and Bono has learned his job very well. You cannot solve these problems simply by singing or protesting.

last unicorn said:
He's not associating himself with Blair and Bush because he likes them so much or is a fan of their policy. He's not a politician, but an activist and his role is to convince politicians to give money to certain causes, in his case: Africa. And this is exacly what he is doing.
I don't like to see him with these people either, but I acknowledge that this is something he has to do in order to get what he wants.
The problems Africa is facing are very complicated and Bono has learned his job very well. You cannot solve these problems simply by singing or protesting.

Bravo, last unicorn. :applaud:

I completely agree.

last unicorn said:

True.

He's not preaching to the choir.

But many will slam him for putting his cause before his politics or image.

Just an update for everyone who was reading this thread and interested in this topic - no Bono sightings to be had by me in the Bay Area. I didn't really try too hard because, as you know, everything was so quiet - no rumors about locations, no media coverage, no nothing. :sad:

Anyway, Miringeltje and I took the opportunity to get together and meet each other. That was nice!

Thanks for the update! So do we even know if he was actually here in California or not? Or if he spoke at all?

Nice that you two got to meet! :)

Back
Top Bottom