(07-26-2006) How Can We End Poverty? -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
How Can We End Poverty?

That's the question Bono addresses on a video shot recently by Phil Joanou in Arusha, Tanzania.

'Make Poverty History! What was that ? A T-shirt?' A year after the G8 leaders met in Scotland, pledging huge steps to end extreme poverty, Bono asks what difference campaigners are making for the everyday life of people in the poorest countries.

From millions of children now in school, millions being protected from the killer-disease malaria to a dramatic increase in the availability of anti-retroviral drugs for those living with HIV/AIDS... campaigners, he says, are creating real change for the good.

'We have the power to change the world if we work together,' says Bono, in this passionate clip.

View the clip

More about the campaign to end extreme poverty here.

--U2.com

u2girlcj said:
^ :yes:

Data should let people download this so we can send it to friends via email. Maybe they already are...

my thoughts exactly this is one video I would think would be worth copying and making ipod friendly as well

You probably saw it on Yahoo!, that's where I saw it when it was played along with Bono's question "How can we end poverty"; I think it was on July 7. Nice clip, the filming fits Bono's way of talking exactly. Or the guy who filmed him was drunk.

Did you know for a small cost that mosquito nets can be purchased and sent to Africa thru Samaritan Purse. (this org. is Bono okayed) I send a few times a year (plus other items a few times a year.) :eyebrow:

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/default.asp

Mosquito Nets

As children in developing countries sleep, death may be buzzing around their faces. A single bite from an infected mosquito can pass on a deadly disease like malaria, encephalitis, or dengue fever. Malaria alone kills one African child every 30 seconds, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Because mosquitoes typically feed between dusk and dawn, nets draped over sleeping children have become the single most effective way of preventing the diseases caused by these winged pests.
A $10 gift can help save lives by providing a mosquito net treated with natural insecticide.

Feed a Hungry Infant for a Week

Few things are as heart-wrenching as the cry of a hungry baby. Sadly, that’s a familiar sound in famine-stricken villages and impoverished communities where malnourished infants cry themselves to sleep. Worse yet, their poor diet causes severe health problems such as bone deformities and stunted growth. The Lord says, “As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you” (Isaiah 66:13, NIV). That compassion is put into action through Samaritan’s Purse infant-feeding projects, as Christian workers care for the physical needs of babies and the spiritual needs of their families. A gift of just $9 can feed a baby for a week and silence the cry of hunger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom