(07-24-2006) In Their Own Words -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.u2.com/news/images/u2book_cover.jpg[/SIMG]
In Their Own Words

It will be the definitive U2 story. It will have stories never before told and photos never before seen. It is ‘U2byU2’ and worldwide publication is just two months away, on September 22nd.

For the first time each member of U2 – and manager Paul McGuinness - has told their own story from their earliest childhood memories to their first meeting with each other, from those opening chords in Larry’s kitchen to becoming the biggest band in rock’n’roll.

Ever wondered what it’s like being in a band with your school friends for your entire adult life?

Ever wanted to have a conversation with the band themselves ?

‘U2byU2’ is the ultimate conversation with Adam, Bono, Edge, Larry and Paul McGuinness in which they tell their own side of the U2 story.

Featuring more than 1500 images including previously unpublished photographs from the personal archives of the band, this hefty 350-page tells the U2 story from the perspective of those who know it best – and it brings it right up to date in 2006.

‘U2’s story is an extraordinary one and we are proud to be publishing this book.’ said Trevor Dolby, Publishing Director of HarperCollins Entertainment. ‘U2byU2 is a book not just for the fans but for everyone interested in music and modern culture.’

u2book_cover.jpg

--U2.com

Last edited:
I really hope they don't bash Pop once again :( and don't say "ATYCLB is our third masterpiece" all the way :down:

They didn't clarify how the deluxe edition of the book differs from the regular version. Initial rumors last year suggested that it would be a signed copy, but I have heard nothing more about that possibility.

ponkine said:
I really hope they don't bash Pop once again :( and don't say "ATYCLB is our third masterpiece" all the way :down:
Amen they need to get that "POP was not ready blabla" out of their heads. It was great.

btw: already pre-orderd my copy last year.

1500 images in a 350 page book?? Maybe that is a typo...even if the images are in a collage - at ten pics a page that would still be 150 pages...as much as I like pics this would disappoint me as I am expecting a real band (auto)biography...

I can't wait for this book either; looks awesome! :happy:
BTW, what is the difference between the 'stock' book and the deluxe edition? As there’s a hefty price difference between the two...

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/0007240236/302-8812459-8767214?v=glance&n=52044011

130€ in Germany, so if I was rich I would have bought this. But I'm not rich.

Synopsis
"I always thought the job was to be as great as you could be." - Bono. This is the story of U2, in their own words and pictures. This limited, numbered edition of 5,000 - 10,000 copies worldwide is exquisitely bound and boxed with an exclusive facsimile of U2's first ever gig poster (outside Dublin), printed to the original size. This is a true collector edition for all true fans of the band. Told with wit, insight and astonishing candour by the band themselves and manager Paul McGuinness, with pictures from their own archives, "U2 By U2" allows unprecedented access into the inner life of the greatest rock band of our times. Bad haircuts, worse hangovers, prayer meetings and wild parties, encounters with presidents and popes, intimate accounts of the creation of all their classic songs, it is all here in a book overseen by the band with the same passion for substance, style and immaculate attention to details familiar from their musical career. "We wore it as a stubborn badge of pride that we weren't prepared to fall into line with every other group and take the fashionable stance of the day. We were uncool because we were hot, we just erupted as a live band." - The Edge. In 1975, four teenagers from Mount Temple School in Dublin gathered in a crowded kitchen to discuss forming a band. The drum kit just about fit into the room, the lead guitarist was playing a homemade guitar, the bassist could barely play at all and nobody wanted to be the singer. Over thirty years later, Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jnr are still together, bound by intense loyalty, passionate idealism and a relentless belief in the power of rock and roll to change the world. "We are trying to pin down something elusive, something that represents where we are, emotionally, physically, spiritually, but is also fresh and exciting. If it is not absolutely the best it can be, then why bother?" - Adam Clayton. "Being in U2 is more like riding a runaway train. We are just ordinary guys, hanging on to this thing for our lives." - Larry Mullen Jnr.

Vincent Vega said:
Synopsis
"I always thought the job was to be as great as you could be." - Bono. This is the story of U2, in their own words and pictures. This limited, numbered edition of 5,000 - 10,000 copies worldwide is exquisitely bound and boxed with an exclusive facsimile of U2's first ever gig poster (outside Dublin), printed to the original size. This is a true collector edition for all true fans of the band. Told with wit, insight and astonishing candour by the band themselves and manager Paul McGuinness, with pictures from their own archives, "U2 By U2" allows unprecedented access into the inner life of the greatest rock band of our times. Bad haircuts, worse hangovers, prayer meetings and wild parties, encounters with presidents and popes, intimate accounts of the creation of all their classic songs, it is all here in a book overseen by the band with the same passion for substance, style and immaculate attention to details familiar from their musical career. "We wore it as a stubborn badge of pride that we weren't prepared to fall into line with every other group and take the fashionable stance of the day. We were uncool because we were hot, we just erupted as a live band." - The Edge. In 1975, four teenagers from Mount Temple School in Dublin gathered in a crowded kitchen to discuss forming a band. The drum kit just about fit into the room, the lead guitarist was playing a homemade guitar, the bassist could barely play at all and nobody wanted to be the singer. Over thirty years later, Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jnr are still together, bound by intense loyalty, passionate idealism and a relentless belief in the power of rock and roll to change the world. "We are trying to pin down something elusive, something that represents where we are, emotionally, physically, spiritually, but is also fresh and exciting. If it is not absolutely the best it can be, then why bother?" - Adam Clayton. "Being in U2 is more like riding a runaway train. We are just ordinary guys, hanging on to this thing for our lives." - Larry Mullen Jnr.

So basically, one is paying about $60 more for a poster? :eyebrow:
If there were other additions as well...I might consider, but as it is...it seems like a rip-off. Reminds me of the collector's edition of HTDAAB; it didn't even have the lyrics!

BTW does anybody have experience pre-ordering books? I would like to know whether it really saves money, or do they decrease the price anyways when it comes out (list price).
For example, amazon.ca has the list price of $50, but currently it is for $33 (for pre-ordering).
Thanks

El Farzo said:
BTW does anybody have experience pre-ordering books? I would like to know whether it really saves money, or do they decrease the price anyways when it comes out (list price).
For example, amazon.ca has the list price of $50, but currently it is for $33 (for pre-ordering).
Thanks

I order books all the time from amazon, and it does save me money, even when it's not for pre-ordering.

El Farzo said:
I can't wait for this book either; looks awesome! :happy:
BTW, what is the difference between the 'stock' book and the deluxe edition? As there’s a hefty price difference between the two...

I noticed the price too.

Deluxe Edition-$125.00
Other- $39.95

tiny dancer said:

I order books all the time from amazon, and it does save me money, even when it's not for pre-ordering.
Great! I pre-ordered the 'other' edition, as the deluxe edition is too expensive for me right now :)()...and seeing as though the only mentioned extra is the poster...I don't particularly think it is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom