(07-17-2007) U2 music comes to Galesburg - The Paper, Galesburg, IL*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy

ONE<br>love, blood, life
Lookin' for the face I had before the world was ma
U2 music comes to Galesburg

By Cigi Ross

Galesburg - Who says rock music and church services don't mix?

First Presbyterian Church, 101 N. Prairie St., is holding a special service Saturday that incorporates the music of Irish rock band U2. The music will be performed by the church's Revelation Band, composed of guitarists, a drummer, keyboards and vocalists.

"The idea of the U2 Eucharist is to get the word out about trying to eradicate extreme poverty, AIDS in Africa and other global illnesses," said the Rev. David Parker.

Churches across the globe have been holding U2 services, tagged the "U2charist," to raise awareness and money for global charities that meet the United Nation's Millenium Development Goals. The eight Millennium Development Goals range from halving extreme poverty to halting the spread of HIV and AIDS and providing universal primary education, all by the target date of 2015, form a blueprint agreed to by all the world's countries and all the world's leading development institutions. U2 lead singer Bono has been a vocal supporter of the Millenium Development Goals.

The first U2charist was held in 2003 in Baltimore, Md. According to Parker, more than 10,000 people have attended U2charist services and over $80,000 has been raised for charities serving Millennium Development Goals.

The music of U2 has been chosen because of its messages of global reconciliation, justice for the poor and oppressed and care for every living person. The Revelation Band will play nine songs along with the screening of a video slide show.

Money from the U2 service will go to www.NothingButNets.net, a foundation that raises money to provide families in Africa mosquito nets to prevent malaria.

"This was something we really wanted to try," Parker said. "We felt like it was a way we could live out our faith in a really tangible way."

What: U2charist Service

Where: First Presbyterian Church, 101 N. Prairie St.

When: 6 to 7 p.m. Saturday

More information: www.fpcgalesburg.com

http://the-paper.net/articles/2007/07/13/entertainment/02_entertainment_u2musicingburg.txt

hotpepper said:
I went to one of this u2charists in San Francisco. It was great to see the music done this way.

:up: for making it a fund raiser for bed nets.

Hey hotpepper, I am intrigued by this idea also, but the more I thought about it the more I think there would be a whole lot missing because U2 themselves bring so much to the spirit of the music ( they are the catalysts for me to the Spirit) that I fear I would be disappointed if I went to one of these services. Do you know what I mean? Was it lacking at all in that respect?

Jeannieco - good questions and something to ponder. When I first was approached about going to the U2charist it was because the ONE Campaign wanted some representation there so I went without any big expectations. I actually had low expectations, I think.

I know what you mean by having the spirit of U2 (Bono, The Edge, Adam and Larry) be such an big part of the music. Other people playing the music just didn't seem right. I was pleasantly surprised though. The youth group of singers and musicians didn't really replicate the songs exactly. They definitely had their own interpretations throughout, but you could tell how much they liked the music and lyrics. The service was mixed with photos about human rights issues etc. and it all went together very well.

I had a similar experience when I went to my first tribute band show. I kind of had to go kicking and screaming because the music to me (then) could only be done by U2 themselves. Anything less would be practically sacrilegious. :ohmy: Interestingly enough though, I've been to a half a dozen Zoo Station shows in and around San Francisco. Those guys love U2 as much as I do and they perform with much respect and admiration for the band. Since there are usually years between tours, I've found going to Zoo Station shows, an excellent way to get a fix! Plus they are REALLY good and they've let me do some ONE Campaign outreach. I understand when someone can't do the tribute band thing. I kind of see it as a way for people who have the talent to explore and share their interpretation of U2 music. I've also met quite a few people who can't afford to go to real U2 shows and this way they can get to hear the music live. Don't get me wrong, I'll be spending my hard earned cash on a bunch of U2 concerts the next time they come around.

^Great post hotpepper :wave: I feel the same altho I've not attended one of these such services I have read about many of them. Not being a religious fanatic (I don't attend Church), I've found that simply the U2 music especially their LIVE shows are religion to me - music to my heart, my soul and my ears.

I have also heard several U2 Tribute bands most of which have been fun and positive experiences. It's the next best thing. To me it's the music that really moves me, it's not necessary that I see U2 Live or a U2 Tribute band. The music is so inspirational and really moves me.

If there was such a U2charist near me I would go, especially if there was something like a fund raiser to a good cause or the goodness that the ONE and RED campaigns do. :)applaud:)

Thank you so much for those great explanations hotpepper and carek! I will have to go check this out and see for myself!
It definitely depends on the band playing the tunes, but if the "spirit" is in the house that's really the important thing. I still can't stop myself from cringing when I think of others playing our sacred U2 music! :) :wink:

Hi Carek! You and I often see things the very same way :hug:. I agree - it's really my more of my heart that responds not my brain. I'm not a traditional church goer either - the music is kind of my religion. I know, I know . . . how corny.

Jeannieco - let's us know how it goes if you see a tribute band or something like that. I hope it's as good for you as me. :hi5:

I totally get that too pepper, about the music being your religon.
I am not a regular church goer either, it's hard for me to find a place that has the right vibe. So many churches are too political and click-ish for me you know what I mean?
What is it that Bono says? When religon enters the building Gods walks out?
Isn't that the truth?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom