(07-16-2004) More on the Missing U2 Disc -- The Guardian *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: currency

melon said:

...record executives really are drama queens. They just pick a large number out of their ass and then cry "poverty."

Very good, sir. Laughter was instigated.

hamburglar.gif

Last edited:
Discoteque said:
I truly hope the CD was simply misplaced and turns up unscathed soon...but I'm just wondering WHY on earth was something as precious as THEIR NEW ALBUM on CD was "out and about" in the first place? Wouldn't they want to keep it under lock and key at all times?

Then how can they decide on the song selection and tracklisting? They need to listen to it, you know. :)

C ya!

Marty

All I know is that I refuse to download any new U2 material that might end up on the net! I haven't been waiting 4 long years for a new album just to ruin the magic and anticipation of going to the store, buying it without knowing anything about what's on it(except for the single), putting in my cd player and discovering each song and the album as a hole. I made that mistake with ATYCLB and won't do it again. U2 is the only band that I am this fanatical about and I want to be "surprised" by their new stuff...I can wait another 127 days!

Salim

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

Then how can they decide on the song selection and tracklisting? They need to listen to it, you know. :)

C ya!

Marty

Maybe they brought the CD to listen to while having the photo session so they could be in the mood of the new songs.

NameOfLove19 said:
(Oh, and mikeuk- I think it's just a simple mistake that people have beens saying dollars, not pounds. No need to get so upset over it!)

Yeah. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone-I'm just not used to talking pounds when it comes to money, it's just something I've never needed to do.

Also, I don't see this as being a publicity stunt, either.

Angela

^That, or the "person" who took it realized that any type of leak on the 'net could more than likely not be traced back to source. Jail time or fines > posting rough drafts of songs.

Personaly, I'd enjoy the idea of being the "only one" to have a copy of unrealsed U2 material, rather than risk my ass in leaking said material.

Vertigo will be the name of their new studio in Dublin which will be on the top two floors of a 60m tower to be built in the docklands. Prediction not fact. Yet.

I saw something on Ebay the other day that looked a lot like the stolen CD, I'll try and type most of what it said. It isn't there anymore, mabye the dude selling it got busted, it was only at like $95 (US) before it was removed. it said something like:

New U2 album, unreleased very hot.

Trying to sell quickly so Bono hopefully doesn't find what he's looking for.

The Edge is a fool - "It was just here a minute ago Bono!" - Sure it was....

That's all I can remember. The guy lived in France, which makes me think it might not have been fake. I don't know why it's not on ebay anymore, maybe someone already got it from him......I don't think it's good though, because if the police got it back it would probably be in the news.....:(

Wow that's really interesting. I just did a search on ebay and couldn't find anything of the sort, so let's cross our fingers and hope that the police found it before someone could buy it or burn it. Oh God, I hope that the police got to him/her before a buyer

Versonnex said:
Vertigo will be the name of their new studio in Dublin which will be on the top two floors of a 60m tower to be built in the docklands. Prediction not fact. Yet.

This makes more sense to me than naming the album Vertigo. I can also see the tour being named Vertigo but not the album. :huh: Just my hunch.

Not that this thread is about the name... :shifty:

I agree with melon. :wink:

I hope they clear up this mess asap.

U2girl91289 said:
Wow that's really interesting. I just did a search on ebay and couldn't find anything of the sort, so let's cross our fingers and hope that the police found it before someone could buy it or burn it. Oh God, I hope that the police got to him/her before a buyer

That's the thing. Three days ago it was there, and it still had 5 days until the action was over. About 2 and a half days ago I looked for it and couldn't find it. The only 2 things I figure is the police found it and canceled the auction somehow, or *this is bad* someone talked to the seller and got them to close the bid and gave them a lot of money for it. I'm trying to look under my recently viewed items there but my dad's been looking around so it might take a while to find it again, if possible.:drool:

lol, I don't have 15 post so I can't put the url in. go to ebay and type in "New U2 Album." click on the one that says U2 VERTIGO 2004 NEW ALBUM. The Album has the Edge's name written on it.....might be the stolen one. The one I saw the other day sounded more like the real thing though.

Re: currency

mikeuk said:
the article doesn't say $10m, it states ?10m - more than half as much again.
Mike

It is actually twice as much right? I'm American but last I look 1? was around $2. None-the-less, however you look at it, ?, $, Euro, etc... 10m is a lot.

And, of course... we must realize that the record company is the one that loses because the band receives very little from album sales anyway... That is sad in its own right. And lastly, it isn't the people like us who will hurt the group. We are all here because we are U2 fans. We buy all their releases. The ones they lose money from are the casual fans, borderline fans, who buy the album because they heard a song they liked on the radio. These are the people who may have bought the CD but won't because they can get that 1 or 2 songs they like for free.

-Erik

I find that the 10m figure to be false. I also think that this whole thing is just a publicity stunt 'cause who would be dumb enough not to have some sort of back-up copy if in fact the story is true.

On another note, who came up with the 10m figure? How do they, whoever they are that it will cost them 10 m when they do not have the album sales stats, concert ticket stats etc.

Are they just using 10 m as a eye brow raising figure?

As an audio professional working daily in the trenches of the Nashville music scene, I would like to comment on a few things.

1. 10 million (dollars, euros, pesos) is not an extraordinary figure to through out. It has been estimated that artists of Jewel's caliber (mid to upper level, but not on the scale of U2) have lost anywhere from 5 to 15 million album sales due to internet piracy. I would also not forget that millions of dollars, euros, pesos, have been invested in the recording (and there are a million aspects outside of the actual guitar/bass/drums/vocals going to tape in the studio that cost TONS of money over a 4 year period) and those are only recoupable to Universal by unit sales.

2. To call record execs selfish (i cannot remember the actual terminology used) and greedy is an easy classification but not altogether acurate. For those who have been under a rock for the last five years, there is not much of a music business left. In case you were unaware, there are 5 (five...count em) major record labels in the world. There used to be hundreds. In the last 5 years in Nashville alone, there have been 175 for sale/rent signs posted along the famous "Music Row". The music industry as we know it is dead. It may rise again, but there is not a lot of jet setting exec's flying Paris Hilton around anymore. Yes, magnates still exist, but this is not your daddy's music business.

3. 1 in 20 albums released by the 5 major labels makes money. U2 is the cash cow that Universal has been waiting for for years. In a summer of extremely slow concert sales, U2 cannot come quick enough for Universal.

4. I really wish the Red Sox would get a first baseman.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom