(07-15-2004) ?It Doesn?t Seem Credible...? - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
?It Doesn?t Seem Credible...?

Edge has spoken of his astonishment that a CD containing some songs from the band?s new album has gone missing after a photo session.

Speaking to U2.Com, Edge said, 'A large slice of two years work lifted via a piece of round plastic. It doesn't seem credible but that's what's just happened to us...and it was my CD.'

The CD went missing during a photo-shoot in the south of France. The band recently completed much of the recording of the highly anticipated new album in Dublin and have been involved in post-production work in France.

It will be the first new studio album from U2 since All That You Can?t Leave Behind nearly four years ago.

French police have already launched a major investigation.

'The recording of this album has been going so well.' added Paul McGuinness of Principle Management. 'The band is so excited about its release. It would be a shame if unfinished work fell into the wrong hands.'

'This matter is of great concern to us.' said Lucian Grainge, Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Group UK. 'As the missing CD is our property, we're very keen find it as soon as possible and the French Police are being extremely helpful in this regard.'

More news as we get it.

If Edge had just set it down for a second and turned his back, someone could have taken it. :sigh: Either way, this is not good news.

Could this mean that the album will be release earlier OR delayed for a 2005 release,now?:(

It could mean either of those possibilities. What it does seem to mean is that, at this very moment, the U2 organization is going NUTS trying to get to the bottom of this. Bad news indeed.

But of course it could have been an intentional leak as well. We really can't be sure.

Although if the French DCPJ are involved then it is definitely not good. And Edge sounds pretty pissed off so I'm thinking he either lost it or it was swiped.

I'm thinking we're either going to get a lot of songs very soon or we're not going to hear anything more about this for a while.

If it leaks then it'll definitely change some things about the album.

I don't like the way this sounds. :huh:

As well, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but everything in this article points to the album still not being completed...:sigh:

Why on earth did they needed a copy of the new album with them,while making photo shots??????!!!!!!.....not shooting a video....PHOTOS!!!!!?????:confused:

Last edited:
I don't believe for a second this was an intentional leak. As Dave points out, with the French police involved that just makes no sense, nor does the timing, four full months before the supposed release date. Also, we know these guys are perfectionists and control freaks. They would not want something unfinished to be out there in its entirety. (Even if "unfinished" simply means they haven't settled on the track listing.)

I haven't read a quote from the French Police regarding this. Only Edge. Paul M, and a Universal Exec. All people who would be involved in the leak.

Maybe they like to have music playing during photo shoots to get the right mood. Remember the Portugal pics? They had a boom box with them then.

An unmastered (but pretty much the complete tunes) of the entire album of Radiohead's Hail to the Thief leaked 3-4 months before it came out...the band was peeved, but I don't recall this kind of hysteria nor did it apparently affect album sales...I don't know, but I am leaning towards this being a bit of early guerilla PR.

This incident may start a new record company policy where every copy of a top secret CD is only allowed to be carried around when it's accompanied by its own private bodyguard. :huh:

Last edited:
"it doesn't seem credible..."

That pretty much says it all. I'm with Mr. Brau1 on this one. The 'theft,' or whatever they're calling it, is conveniently generating a good amount of buzz and press coverage 4 months before the official release of the CD.

If it's not a PR stunt, it reflects badly on the band. Who is that careless at this point in their career (if it was Bono responsible, might be more credible)? Either way, I just don't see how it would have a negative impact.

Hmm...this is...strange. It'd be very cool if instead of being the CD itself it were something like the Salome Bootlegs...but eew.

This isn't the only CD of new album music, seeing as it's even said that this was Edge's copy as opposed to the whole bands.

Will this mean that the album could be released earlier to combat illegal downloading? Would that make the album full of Pop-like regrets?

(I know! The band can hire all of us dedicated fans to search for it on the internet and get it taken away!)

:( Awwww...poor guys. You would think in this day and age that they would learn not to trust anybody.

Edge, gosh sakes man! :eyebrow: If you are going to be caring around something that's worth more than diamonds, wouldn't you just have it in a briefcase shackled to your bodyguard's or Paul's wrist? ...Just a thought

I feel so sorry for Edge. I wish I could give him a huge hug right now. I sure hope they find the bastards! :mad:

Doesn't make any sense that the band would do it. After barely finishing the record and going on vacation, full 4 months prior to album release - for what?
So they can get themselves MORE work by speeding up the release/tour?

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
I haven't read a quote from the French Police regarding this. Only Edge. Paul M, and a Universal Exec. All people who would be involved in the leak.

RTE NEWS (Irish national televsion) report this: "Police said the band members visited police headquarters in the city of Nice to make statements about the matter....20 people who were present at the studios were being questioned."
No one would go to all this trouble, and make a false statement to the police, just to get some publicity.

awww feel sorry for Edge, hope he's not blaming himself too much - i can't believe it wasn't Bonos CD hehe

Just bring the CD out next week instead and it'll all be fine :wink:

Remember, Edge likes to tinker around with his music. He might have had his own copy to listen to or to play around with. If they were at a photo shoot, he probably thought it wouldn't be safe to leave it in his room, so he took it with him. But as someone already said, if Edge had it in his jambox and had turned his back for 5 seconds, it probably did walk away.

I don't think this is a PR stunt. Why would they officially put it on U2.com, and why is NME helping U2 find these bad people?

If you seriously know of any copies floating around, NME is asking that you help out. It says, "Do you know who has the CD? If so, NME.COM will pass it onto the band for you, no questions asked. E-mail details to news@nme.com."

This sounds like serious shit to me! But I really don't think it's going to change the release date. There is still enough time to find the idiot who will be dumb enough to release it on the net between now and then. U2 knows there are a lot of good U2 fans out there that will help them out. I know I would! It's just not right!

oliveu2cm said:
If someone has that CD and puts it on the net, don't you think they'd have the :censored: sued out of them? :huh:

Not just that, but they will get thrown in jail for sure! That's why we need to stick together and find these idiots! Let's show U2 that we care! It's one thing to hear a recording outside of their studio because they know what they're doing and playing loud on purpose, but it's another to actually steel a whole digital album from The Edge himself!

There are a lot of stupid and greedy people out there! So watch out!

Seems weird

It would seem moranic to me to put all of your work on a single cd in the first place....then to let it sit around. i can think of a million things that could go wrong. i would have assumed that they store their music digitally wouldnt you?

Back
Top Bottom