(07-14-2005) Edge in September Guitar World -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://images.snapfish.com/3444448723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2329%3D82%3B%3D83%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323965%3B63347ot1lsi[/SIMG]
Edge in September Guitar World

The Edge is the subject of a long, fantastic interview in the September issue of Guitar World, hitting newsstands now. With enough great quotes and tidbits that will keep both wannabe guitar heroes and non-musically inclined U2 fans turning the pages, the interview talks about everything from Edge's signature sound to his mid-'80s mullet. Edge also provides a little insight into the producer swap that happened during the "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" sessions. Included in the issue are guitar transcriptions and bass lines for "Vertigo" and "Pride (In the Name of Love)."

Of his trademark guitar, the Gibson Explorer, Edge tells interviewer Joe Bosso:

GW: How did you come to buy the Explorer?

Edge: I was on a trip to New York and I went to a guitar shop. I didn't go with the intention of buying an Explorer. A Rickenbacker six-string was what I was after. But when I picked up the Explorer it felt really, really, really good. I wasn't expecting it, but the guitar seemed to talk to me. There are some songs in this, I said to myself.

GW: Visually, the Explorer is a tricky guitar. How did you think you looked when you strapped it on?

Edge: I was a little nervous about that. When I went back to Dublin and took it out of the case in fronnt of the band, I was thinking, How is this going to go over? It was so off people's perception of what I might go for. There might have been one or two comments at first, but it clicked pretty quick--the look, the sound. It felt natural.

3444448723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2329%3D82%3B%3D83%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323965%3B63347ot1lsi

Thanks to sue4u2 for the cover image!

Last edited by a moderator:
:drool: :drool:

me wants this mag so bad

do any of the fellow Dublin members know if it finally has hit the shelves here?

I got it at the grocery store the other day. The cool thing is it came with a disc with footage of all of the Edge's guitar equipment. I didn't realize the guy has like 45 guitars and plays like 16 a night!! It's incredible. It shows all his pedals, amps and all the gear.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
The interview is pretty good, except the part where the interviewer talks about the "frenzied guitar" work in "Waiting For The End Of The World"??????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Do your homework, pal!!

Well, Edge gets pretty frenzied in the live versions of that song.

You could tell the interviewer likes it when Edge gets crazy with the guitar work. I liked the exchange they had about the Fly solo, with Edge saying the song really needed for him to go nuts that way.

Excellent interview...

coemgen said:
I got it at the grocery store the other day. The cool thing is it came with a disc with footage of all of the Edge's guitar equipment. I didn't realize the guy has like 45 guitars and plays like 16 a night!! It's incredible. It shows all his pedals, amps and all the gear.

I was having trouble with my CD. Did you have to do anything special for it to play or just pop it in?

coemgen said:

I have a question, how did you get the CD to work? It seems to be giving errors while trying to play it. I explored the disc and saw that there were a lot of videos but didn't see any of the the so called "Edge footage". Any suggestions....?

Found my copy as well in the supermarket the other day...I happened to glance down at the mags and there The Edge was........

:wink:

I think on the disc there's a section called Exclusives.. or something like that. The Edge video is in there, though there actually is no Edge in it!

It's a good article though and has some really great pictures with it.

I normally don't buy too many mags anymore as they're too expensive (this was 10 bucks Canadian) but when I saw the Edge.. I had to have it :)

For those that read the article....

When Edge was ripping on Prog rock, was he talking about Pink Floyd maybe? :huh:

If so, seems kinda weird since Pink Floyd were a big draw at the Live 8 concert.

Curious what others think.

whitehead said:
For those that read the article....

When Edge was ripping on Prog rock, was he talking about Pink Floyd maybe? :huh:

If so, seems kinda weird since Pink Floyd were a big draw at the Live 8 concert.

Curious what others think.

I wondered that as well. There are a number of bands from that era that went really artsy with their music. What other bands fit the bill?

Back
Top Bottom