(07-09-2004) Oprah Winfrey Gives $1 Million to Underground Railroad Museum -- AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Oprah Winfrey Gives $1 Million to Underground Railroad Museum

(07-09) 07:45 PDT CINCINNATI (AP) -- Oprah Winfrey has given $1 million to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center and is narrator of an educational film for the museum, its administrators said.

The $110 million museum, being built along the Ohio River, commemorates the secret Underground Railroad network that helped slaves escape from the South to the free North during the 1800s.

Winfrey, whose donation was announced Thursday, will narrate a short film introducing "Brothers of the Borderland," a film and interactive theater program. A reconstructed slave holding pen also will be part of the museum.

Celebrity supporters of the museum, many of whom are expected to participate in the center's dedication ceremonies Aug. 23, include Vanessa Williams, Angela Bassett, Muhammad Ali, Quincy Jones, Bono and Danny Glover.

Two of the center's three pavilions will be named after the families of Black Entertainment Television founder Robert Johnson and former Procter & Gamble Co. chief executive John Pepper, who each donated $3 million to the museum.

Pepper joined with former U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young to serve as chairmen of a fund-raising campaign for the museum.

On the Net:
www.freedomcenter.org

OMG - for a couple reasons:
a) I can't believe an article about Cincinnati (where I live) is actually on Interference! I can almost see this museum from my office window. I'm very much looking forward to its opening.

b) I had not previously heard that Bono was a supporter of this - think that's great. But, if he's here on Aug 23 for the opening, I am going to freak out - because I'm out of town on vacation that week!

U2grace, Bono spoke at the National Underground Railroad Museum (and Freedom Center) during the "Heart of America" tour in December 2002 when it was in Cincinnati. :wink:

I applaud Oprah for helping to keep alive a VERY IMPORTANT part of American history - the flight from slavery for thousands of African-Americans following the "Underground Railroad". :up:

And I have ALWAYS been PLEASED WITH and PROUD OF BONO'S SINCERE RESPECT FOR THE STRUGGLE OF AFRICANS FOR FREEDOM AND JUSTICE throughout the diaspora! :yes:

He is a TRULY UNIQUE and SPECIAL man. :bono: :love: :angel: :hug:

NO. u2grace - the gods are just waiting to bestow on you the Bono meeting of your lifetime!:wink:

It's already written in the stars, so DREAM OUT LOUD!:hug:

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

I'm leaving for Ohio today - we have to go every summer to visit family - last year I was able to get to the U2 exhibit in Cleveland at the Rock Museum. Seems like this year I'm going too early! :sad:

I'm back! - actually we drive 9 hours from New Jersey to Tiffin - so another 3 to get to Cincinnati to see Bono would be a pleasure! Bad timing this summer!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom