(07-08-2005) Chirac Meets Bob Geldof, Bono at G-8 -- AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050708/capt.xgle10407080919.britain__g8_summit_xgle104.jpg?x=380&y=266&sig=Dn3GjmRrY5yGv7nH.3rsLA--[/SIMG]
Chirac Meets Bob Geldof, Bono at G-8

GLENEAGLES, Scotland - French President Jacques Chirac met with rock stars Bob Geldof and Bono at his hotel on Friday morning to discuss their efforts to relieve poverty in Africa.

Chirac told Geldof — who organized the Live 8 concerts last weekend — and Bono that they were doing a terrific job of raising awareness for the issue, particularly among young people, said Chirac's spokesman, Jerome Bonnafont.

"It is a first step, modest but important because we open a door," he quoted the president as saying.

Chirac said Africa was still handicapped by economic stagnation and demography, with an increasingly large population of young people with poor prospects for their futures.

For this reason, it was important to find $50 billion in aid for Africa by 2010, Bonnafont quoted Chirac as saying.

One of the key objectives of British Prime Minister Tony Blair for the G-8 summit he is hosting is increasing aid to Africa.

--Associated Press

questions

I know live 8 get also a lot of critics, but I am still sure it was something good. the intention behind it, it's great.
it had faults, of course. for instance, african artists were really a few, but I know that it's not because the organizers don't want them there. it's just that they wanted to keep the attention and involv as many people as possible, and maybe african artists could not do so.

another critic I heard was that the money rised with live-aid (1985) ended in the wrong hands and fuel the war in Ethiopia.
Dunno if this is correct -- anyone does?

but I think Bob Geldof can't be considered responsible: his intention and his idea was makin good, but no one can ask him to check the way money was imployed. someone had to -- dunno way they didn't.

Back
Top Bottom