(07-07-2006) Chili Pepper blasts 'sell-outs' U2 and Black Eyed Peas - Yahoo!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Chili Pepper blasts 'sell-outs' U2 and Black Eyed Peas

By WENN

Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith has slammed U2 and The Black Eyed Peas for allowing their music to be used on television advertisements.

The Dani California star finds it difficult to understand how bands can sacrifice their integrity by selling their songs to corporations.

And Smith brands U2 and The Black Eyed Peas "idiots" for letting their respective tracks Vertigo and Hey Mama be used to promote the sale of iPods.

Smith, 44, says, "I'm fine with getting our music out to people but I don't want to be on a TV commercial with some guy bowling and then music comes out of his phone. There's no artistic credibility. I'd feel like a jerk if we did that.

"I think Black Eyed Peas look like a bunch of idiots. It's dangerous.

"The U2 song on the iPod when it came out was weird and it was longer and it had more parts.

"It's dangerous to tie yourself in with a product and also the visuals that go along with it.

"I think young people, not old guys like myself, think it's normal now to have Led Zeppelin on jeans commercials. Oh no! That's not normal to me."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07072006/364/chili-pepper-blasts-sell-outs-u2-black-eyed-peas.html

Oh no Charles my helllllllllllmet!
Gonna BEAT your ass, Charles.

You ready? You ready? You ready? You ready?

"The U2 song on the iPod when it came out was weird and it was longer and it had more parts.

That made me laugh :laugh:

I'd rather be a band in an iPod ad than a band who wears socks on their cocks.

He's right about the Black Eyed Peas, though. They seem eager to whore themselves out to anything.

Canadiens1160 said:
Oh no Charles my helllllllllllmet!
Gonna BEAT your ass, Charles.

You ready? You ready? You ready? You ready?

That made me laugh :laugh:

One of the best posts ever :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

While Dude has a right to voice his opinion, as an earlier poster said, he should look into the integrity of his band.

Let the Flaming begin....:corn:

Phst. So what?
U2 likes iPods. Bono's always talking about the future of music and how he wants U2 to be a part of it.
Doing an iPod commercial isn't that bad.
I mean, it is a commercial for music, isn't it?
It's not as if it's in a commercial for pringles or something dumb like that.

I think the article is a little misleading, because he doesn't really "Blast" or "slam" U2. He just said about U2 that it's dangerous to tie your name to a product, which is a valid point. Although I think U2 has done it with class and integrity. He only refers to the Black Eyed Peas as idiots, which is true. The Black Eyed Peas do look like idiots in the commercials they do. I don't know how anyone could take them seriously.
Please don't murder me now. Thanks.

Last edited:
Maybe in the 80's U2 wouldn't have done something like the ipods. They probably wouldn't sell their music by each song. Since they own the rights to their songs, they can do whatever they want with them. I don't mind hearing the songs on commercials for ipods, world cup soccer, etc, because they approved it. And they don't need the money to sell them on every product. When I hear some song being used for a car commercial, I think that person/group needs some money.

Flea has said he didn't like the idea of selling music on itunes, but yet they are there. There are other artists who don't sell on itunes. If they aren't for itunes then they shouldn't be on there. To me that's selling out.

That's rich.

He's probably just pissy cause Petty would have to sign off before the Pep's could sell Dani California :tongue:

Seriously, he has a right to his opinion, but this is a band that while very creative and one of my personal favorites, is not above "marketing" their product or stunts for coverage. As pointed out above, Beavis and Butthead? Socks on Cocks? It's sad when rock stars get old and get sticks up their asses and start making "In my day..." comments.

What an asinine article! Say what you want Chad, you certainly seemed to be enjoying the Anaheim Elevation show back in 2001!

His slam should have been more appropriately directed to the Allman Brothers for lending their song to some menopause remedy or the Smiths for that car commercial. All the young kiddies now have to sell their songs for commercials because anyone who gets involved in the music industry now will be here today and GONE tomorrow. Case in point, Black Eyed Peas!

yeah, dammit!!! u2 can whore themselves out as often as they want - cause THEY have artistic integrity!!!

there's NOTHING ironic about that, guys!!!

u2 are the kings of substance!!!!

what a 7oke.

hey guys, remember when u2 used to be about music and stuff and not advertisements or bono repeating the same 3 catch phrases re: world poverty over and over again?

yeah, that was kind of nice.

Well here we are hitting this subject yet AGAIN.

And again I'll say the same thing. U2's iPod ads were nothing more than the band reaching out to a younger audience. Particularly here in the USA U2 gets very little airplay on the "top 40" radio stations young people listen to. Yet most every kid here owns some sort of iPod variant. Get the connection? Good, I thought so.

Look, "Selling out" is selling or commercializing your music for money, period. U2 got ZERO money from Apple for doing these ads. What they did get was some free exposure to a younger generation of fans. 15 years ago U2 did not have the identity problem here that it does now. This would not have been necessary then but today it is. In fact I would go as far as calling this a positive move for U2. Way too many people here have lumped U2 in with washed-up geezers like the Stones and McCartney. Things like the cool iPod ads show young Americans that U2 is still hip and cool. U2 is a band all about the future and digital music is the future.

Chad Smith can kiss my a**. More than anything, his comments reek of jealousy and ignorance.

Zoomerang96 said:
yeah, dammit!!! u2 can whore themselves out as often as they want - cause THEY have artistic integrity!!!

there's NOTHING ironic about that, guys!!!

u2 are the kings of substance!!!!

what a 7oke.

hey guys, remember when u2 used to be about music and stuff and not advertisements or bono repeating the same 3 catch phrases re: world poverty over and over again?

yeah, that was kind of nice.

So you decided to become a member of a U2 fan website because you love and respect the band right?

Video's are advertisements, and U2 have been making those since the begining of their career. Hell, U2 did a concert in Dublin in 1979 to promote safe legal contraception in Ireland. All the criticism about "selling out" and the "political crusades" are nothing new.

^:lmao: ......:hmm: arn't they are the band with the annoying ugly lead singer...and don't all thier songs sound the same?...yeah..I think thats them...

:wink:

Chili Peppers blow:down:

the last two posters responses to this thread are hilarious.

i don't really care, mind you. not really.

7ust when i'm here i get angry at how mindless it all really is.

i mean honestly. you can't refute what they say so you resort to "arn't they are the band with the annoying ugly lead singer...and don't all their songs sound the same?...yeah..i think thats them..."

glah

Pretty ungrateful, coming from the drummer of a band that U2 personally requested to OPEN FOR THEM at SLANE CASTLE a few years back.

Your welcome, Chad.

How much fun did you have playing drums on the new Dixie Chicks record? Why don't I hear him talking about his former bandmate Dave Navarro judging reality show music competitions? Or Flea and Anthony's cameos in that Charlie Sheen classic "THE CHASE"?

Oh, and by the way, DANI CALIFORNIA is the theme song for the new JAPANESE ANIME FILM "DEATHBOOK"...

I wonder how much money the Chilis made for that little deal? Something tells me it was probably more than the ZERO DOLLARS U2 recieved for their Ipod Commercial.

Zoomerang96 said:
the last two posters responses to this thread are hilarious.

i don't really care, mind you. not really.

7ust when i'm here i get angry at how mindless it all really is.

i mean honestly. you can't refute what they say so you resort to "arn't they are the band with the annoying ugly lead singer...and don't all their songs sound the same?...yeah..i think thats them..."

glah

As opposed to slamming a lead singer for repeating the same three catch phrases?

Wow, I am suprised people are being harsh on Chad. I don't see anything in this article that really slams U2.

:shrug: Meh... the dude's entitled to his opinion, whether we all agree with him or not - just like the ones made recently by Stephen Baldwin.

Now - does it sound to me like someone has a serious case of Whiney-Ass Jealousy for the amount of attention directed toward a certain band and their idealistic lead singer in particular??? Uh... that'd be a big 'Yes'. :yes:

I think he was asked a question and gave his opinion. Everyone is entitled to one. Must have been a slow news day. :|

HelloAngel said:

:huh: wh-wh-whaaa?

I don't think his comments are that big of a deal, and personally I don't give a shit what he thinks, I still think RHCP are great :shrug: a lot of people don't realize that U2 didn't take money for the iPod ad and that it was essentially self-promotion, not "here, buy this unrelated product." I mean, the commercial was basically saying "yo, buy Vertigo on iTunes." how is that selling out? :scratch:

Re: Re: (07-07-2006) Chili Pepper blasts 'sell-outs' U2 and Black Eyed Peas - Yahoo!*

AtomicBono said:

:huh: wh-wh-whaaa?

I don't think his comments are that big of a deal, and personally I don't give a shit what he thinks, I still think RHCP are great :shrug: a lot of people don't realize that U2 didn't take money for the iPod ad and that it was essentially self-promotion, not "here, buy this unrelated product." I mean, the commercial was basically saying "yo, buy Vertigo on iTunes." how is that selling out? :scratch:

First, who mentions "selling out" in this article?

I think he's saying " I remember that song being alot more than the bullshit from the ad", essentially saying it was gutted.

Which is U2's M.O. these days. He's also hinting at "why would U2 would do this shit is beyond any of us" but they want to be relevant, in other words, Larry will break up the band unless he can impress his friends with a commercial success.

Whatever, whiskey is awesome. Larry will doom this band. mark it.

Last edited:
Dismantled said:
:hmm: arn't they are the band with the annoying ugly lead singer...and don't all thier songs sound the same?...yeah..I think thats them...

uhh, isn't that U2? :scratch:

:wink:

(you know you've heard that comment about U2...and just about every other band in the world too. :) )

Re: Re: Re: (07-07-2006) Chili Pepper blasts 'sell-outs' U2 and Black Eyed Peas - Yahoo!*

U2DMfan said:

First, who mentions "selling out" in this article?

I think he's saying " I remember that song being alot more than the bullshit from the ad", essentially saying it was gutted.

Which is U2's M.O. these days. He's also hinting at "why would U2 would do this shit is beyond any of us" but they want to be relevant, in other words, Larry will break up the band unless he can impress his friends with a commercial success.

Whatever, whiskey is awesome. Larry will doom this band. mark it.

U2 is doing just fine. The I-Pod commercial was no more commercial than the flood of commercials for a movie called RATTLE AND HUM back in the fall of 1988.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a commercial band, just like the Stones, the Beatles, U2, and for that matter any artist who has ever been signed to a record lable.

So many of these criticisms were leveled at U2 19 years ago, and have been for every tour and album since 1987 by a certain group of fans or non-fans.

Back
Top Bottom