(07-06-2006) Uncanny Resemblance to Bono Pays Off -- AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://media.lawrence.com/img/photos/2006/07/06/na_bono_lookalike_LEDE_706_.jpg[/SIMG]
Uncanny Resemblance to Bono Pays Off

By Chelsea J. Carter - Associated Press Writer

BELLINGHAM, WASH. — Rob Kemp does a double-take. Then he does a triple-take.

Bono? The lead singer of the biggest band in the world, U2?

He races up and introduces himself, shaking his hand and rattling off his adoration at a mile-a-minute pace.

Kemp, 23, doesn’t notice that the man has no Irish accent. Or that he’s carrying his own bag down the street. All Kemp of Abbotsford, Canada, sees is the legendary singer — from the straw hat to the glasses to the jacket.

“I’m not Bono,” the man says.

This is the Geoffrey Knight — a man who is such a ringer for the rock star that he eclipses other look-a-likes.

Knight, 32, a longtime U2 fan, came to Bono late in life. It began with a U2 concert in Seattle when his wife encouraged him to wear a pair of sunglasses, which he says looked nothing like the ones that Bono is famous for wearing.

“You know how people stare at you, and you get this feeling in the back of your head that someone is looking at you?” Knight said.

na_bono_lookalike_LEDE_706_.jpg

Rob Kemp, 23, left, wants a photo with Bono even after finding out it’s just look-a-like Geoffrey Knight.

Stares — they happened during the concert and at the merchandise stand.

“This one girl had a little bit too much to drink, and she wrapped her arms around me. And then she stepped back and said ‘You’re not him,’” he said.

But it was a trip to Ireland to see a U2 concert a few months later in June 2005 that set him on his path to becoming Bono. In Dublin, where Bono can be seen sometimes walking the streets, the people who live there did more than a double-take. Some of them approached him.

He returned to Washington and related the experience to a friend, who in turn told him that celebrity impersonators can make a lot of money. Out of curiosity, Knight said, he logged on and looked at a few Bono impersonator sites. None of the impersonators looked a lot like Bono, he says.

na_bono_lookalike_2_706_bw_.jpg

Geoffrey Knight

Knight sent some pictures of himself to an impersonation Web site. A month later, Boston radio station Mix 98.5 FM contacted him — and flew him out to do promotions for the station in the days leading up to a U2 concert.

For a few days, Knight lived like a rock star. He took no money for the gig but did enjoy the perks — from the use of limo to a suite in an upscale hotel.

“I would pop my head up out of the limousine. It was like magnet. The limo couldn’t move and people were asking to take their pictures,” he said.

There is little about Knight’s personal life that resembles the rock star. Knight and his wife own a Pilates studio in the sleepy university town of Bellingham; Bono owns several houses, globe-trots for social causes and, of course, fronts the biggest rock band in the world.

But Knight does believe in some of Bono’s causes, such as “One: The Campaign To Make Poverty History.” He donates most of the money he makes as a look-a-like to One, and lent his Bono-likeness to a video produced by his daughter, who was promoting the campaign at her school.

There are a few physical challenges to impersonating the rock star.

“He has terrible posture. I would love to get him in a Pilates studio,” Knight said.

hmmm...from the side he looks like him..kinda...straight on..nope...he bugs me for some reason:lol:

I dont think he looks like him at all..its just the clothes/hat/beard that may fool some part time fans I think. He bugs me too (not a fan of impersonators to be honest)

I don't know ladies. He's still not better than the real thing, but this is the first guy that I've ever seen who really, truly does look like Bono to me.

And at least he's telling people he's an impersonator - wasn't there some guy a fews months back who was actually passing himself off as the real McKoy & managed to get interviewed by a reporter in an airport or something?? :slant: And that hoser looked NOTHING like Bono to my eyes. :shrug: :D

This is the Geoffrey Knight — a man who is such a ringer for the rock star that he eclipses other look-a-likes.

I see a resemblence, but I've seen other look-a-likes with a stronger one.

I also agree that it's nice he at least tells people he isn't the real thing. Stories of people getting duped by look-a-likes is sad. :tsk:

BluRmGrl said:
I don't know ladies. He's still not better than the real thing, but this is the first guy that I've ever seen who really, truly does look like Bono to me.

And at least he's telling people he's an impersonator

I have to say..that's a remarkable resemblence.. If I saw this guy from a distance, I would do a double take too.
I would have to inspect him.. his face that is. :drool:
:wink:

dsmith2904 said:
I kind of like the idea of him signing Bono up for pilates ;)
lol, yes, that line cracked me up. As a massage therapist, I'd like to see him improve his posture as well ;)

And he doesn't bug me personally. He's honest with people and that's what counts.

For some, it's a phobia of clowns, insects, or mall Santas at Christmas. I think my great aversion in life is the celebrity look-a-like. :(

he does look a lot like him, more than most Bono look-a-likes. and at least he's honest. from a distance I could perhaps be fooled, but up close I would see the truth :wink:

Those Beatle "look alikes" (and I use the term VERY loosely) will give me nightmares tonight. Thanks a LOT.

Robin Williams is in no danger to lose the role of Bono in the movie version of "U2 AT THE END OF THE WORLD".

corianderstem said:
Those Beatle "look alikes" (and I use the term VERY loosely) will give me nightmares tonight. Thanks a LOT.
Yeah, they look more like the Rutles! :lol:

That Bono impersonator does bear a good resemblance to Bono from the side (doesn't quite have his nose, but the mouth is very close!). And he is being truthful in telling people that he is indeed an impersonator. Not to mention giving a lot of the money to a very good cause. He's not so bad.

It's the ones who intend to defraud people, THOSE are the bad ones!

I nearly died when I saw this article in the Seattle Times last week. Without reading the article - just the headline I knew exactly who they were talking about. I had the great pleasure of tableing with Geoffrey and his wife last year at the Zimbabwe Festival at Western WA Uni in Bellingham for the ONE Campaign. They are one of the most interesting couples I have ever met. Not to mention one of the kindest. We had a lot of fun that weekend and got tonnes of signatures for the Campaign.

It was hoot to watch all generations take double, triple, quad takes of Geoffrey. Some asked if they could get a snap of themselves with Geoffrey (only after they sign up for the campaign). Hopefully I can work him and his wife again this year.

He soughta looks like him but....His Bono sleeves were too long, Bono would never wear shoes like that they were too flat, not the same chin I know and love and his nose is too short in the profile.

I need my real B.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom