(07-06-2005) U2 Use Polish Design But Forget to Ask for Permission -- Radio Polonia*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Use Polish Design But Forget to Ask for Permission

Ed. Note: This is at least the second design team claiming to have created the "Coexist" logo seen both on Bono's headband and as part of the light show during the Vertigo Tour.

There is a Polish flavour to U2’s current world tour, which came to the south of the country yesterday. The COEXIST logo – which features prominently in their stage show - was designed by Polish artist, Piotr Mlodożeniec. Shame the band forgot to ask for his permission, says the designer.

The logo - consisting of an Islamic crescent, the Star of David and the Cross replacing the letters c, x and t in the word coexist - has become hugely popular. It communicates in a very clever way a message that is central to Bono’s thinking.

The logo with the three religious symbols, features as a large colour projection – an important element of stage design of the present U2 tour. The COEXIST logo designed by Młodożeniec can also be spotted on Bono’s bandana.

In fact Bono used the catchword not only as a graphic logo but even as his motto. In Glasgow earlier this year fans could hear him chanting ‘Jesus, Jew and Mohammed coexist.

Polish graphic artist Piotr Młodożeniec says he feels honoured to see Bono using his sign, however, he’s also bitterly disappointed that none of the members of the group has ever asked him for permission to use his design:

The logo was created as a project for the Museum on the Seam in Jerusalem to symbolize ‘coexistence and tolerance’. Bono is said to have spotted it in Chicago, when it was just a piece of graffiti. He had no idea as to who designed it. As honoured as he feels, Młodożeniec hopes that, sooner or later, U2 will settle the copyright problem with him:

U2 has crowds of fans all over the world , also in Poland and one of them is the artist Piotr Młodozeniec, who despite the slight misunderstanding, went to the group’s yesterday concert in Chorzow together with other 70 000 Poles.

--Radio Polonia

I've never heard of this Polish guy, but my stepmom has a Coexist shirt from the IU guys.

I wholeheartedly believe Bono when he said he saw it as graffitied in Chicago.

Still, the band should definately pay this guy a good sum of money just BECAUSE...let's not have another Negitivland fiasco. Just pay up boys, you can afford it!!!!

AtomicBono said:
I've never heard of this Polish guy, but my stepmom has a Coexist shirt from the IU guys.

I wholeheartedly believe Bono when he said he saw it as graffitied in Chicago.

Just to clarify, the IU guys have stated that they got the idea for the image from Mlodożeniec. As the original artist, he owns the copyright.

Mlodożeniec's and the IU guys lawyers are currently addressing this issue.

Everyone agrees that Bono did not intentionally steal it. But whether he knew it or not, he is still using copyrighted material without permission. And the band has not returned Mlodożeniec's calls (as of 3 days ago). I know this because he told me when we spoke on the phone.

We posted a full article (that I wrote) over on atU2.com this week. It's called "Can't We All Just Coexist?" It explains the whole thing - which is pretty darn interesting.

Hope this helps.
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom