(07-04-2006) U2 Is in the Studio -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am glad to hear this, but can't studio sessions take pretty long? I don't think we will have an album anytime soon... :|

if they are making an *official* announcement about being in the studio, it seems to me that there must be something pending, the band must have a goal in mind for these current recordings that must be much more than mere musical scribbles that will eventually become the next album in a few years.

i would imagine we'll see something within the next year.

on BOMB, didn't they essentially record the whole thing with strings, look around to see the lack of reaction from the orchestra, ditch it and call in Steve Lillywhite?

It's just one step in a long process -- and before we get an album we could get an EP on iTunes, to drag things out even more.

Irvine511 said:
if they are making an *official* announcement about being in the studio, it seems to me that there must be something pending, the band must have a goal in mind for these current recordings that must be much more than mere musical scribbles that will eventually become the next album in a few years.

I want to believe this :drool:

Don't forget we had Electrical storm and the Hands that Built America around 2 years after ATYCLB was out. Dunno about a new album soon, but we could see a new single out by the end of the year.

I didn't get this email. In fact, I don't think I've gotten any emails from U2.com since I joined back in March, aside from my merchandise coupon and account confirmation :scratch: I knew getting my membership card right away was too good to be true!

It's good to hear they're in the studio, even if they're just playing around. It's still the beginning of the creative process for what we can hope will be an album in early '08. I'll keep summer of '08 open for some stadium shows :drool:

Irvine511 said:

this is my favourite post in this thread :wink:

I made an interview with Michka Assayas in April in Hungary and he told us what he thinks about the upcoming U2 album, maybe it can be interesting rumour:

"I wouldn’t be surprised if you in the upcoming years you would hear less about Bono as a champion of Africa and more about Bono as a musician. I know there is something very interesting that he said to me, have you heard about that American record producer, Rick Rubin?, he is the one who produced Johnny Cash in the mid-90’s called Solitary man. He made a series of albums of Johnny Cash that really helped Johnny Cash regain his lost talent, you know it’s really stark recordings, very naked, very little instrumentation. They are wonderful records. And Rick Rubin has this genious stripping down the sound, and really helping the singer to get the most imtimate performance in his voice. And Bono is a great admirerer of RR. And RR has been saying he wants to make a record for U2 for ten years. He’s been saying that U2 is his favourite band so it might happen. If it happens we’re gonna be very surprised because it’s gonna be a U2 album that you’ve never heard. If RR produce the next record it’s gonna be more adventurous. And it will be sg. that might be as dramatic and as shocking as Achtung Baby was after the Joshua Tree. And this is what I’m hoping for.
I hope they will take this chance and maybe they were not ready to take this chance a couple of years ago but maybe now they might feel a bit more secure. It’s not that easy to remain at the top … It is a very hard position. I think it would be fantastic but I do not know if it’s going to happen. Because we discussed it with Bono and I said to him but you should do that! They are thinking about it. "

Last edited:
zsuzso said:
" I know there is something very interesting that he said to me, have you heard about that American record producer, Rick Rubin?, he is the one who produced Johnny Cash in the mid-90’s called Solitary man "

From Wikipedia:
"Frederick Jay Rubin (born 1963), is an American record producer best known for his work in rap and heavy metal. He was a major figure in the fusion of rap and hard rock by bringing together Run-D.M.C. and Aerosmith for the hit song "Walk This Way". He was also a major figure in the fusion of rap and heavy metal into Alternative metal, Nu metal and other forms. "

:no:

ntalwar said:

From Wikipedia:
"Frederick Jay Rubin (born 1963), is an American record producer best known for his work in rap and heavy metal. He was a major figure in the fusion of rap and hard rock by bringing together Run-D.M.C. and Aerosmith for the hit song "Walk This Way". He was also a major figure in the fusion of rap and heavy metal into Alternative metal, Nu metal and other forms. "

:no:

1# it is from wikipedia:|
2# Rick Rubin is a great record producer

xaviMF22 said:

1# it is from wikipedia:|
2# Rick Rubin is a great record producer

1- so what. It's also from other sources - search for it.
2 - The same guy is producing Justin Timberlake.

zsuzso said:
And Rick Rubin has this genious stripping down the sound, and really helping the singer to get the most imtimate performance in his voice.

That's nice for a solo project, but U2 is a band with guitar, bass and drums, so I would think it's nothing for a band.
So it would be nice to get as much out of Bono's voice as possible, but they shouldn't strip down the instruments.

I don't think they will go in making rap or heavy metal. Rick Rubin might have helped many bands of that kind of music, but e.g. Johhny Cash didn't come out as a rapper or a metal "band", neither did Justin :yuck: Timberlake.

Rick Ruben is also the same guy who produced Neil Diamond's last record, so the whole fear of a U2 rap/rock album is kinda unfounded don'tcha think? :slant:

I have to chime in on this. I don't like this news at all. Who wants to hear new stuff from U2? I certainly am not that interested.

:drool:

zsuzso said:
I made an interview with Michka Assayas in April in Hungary and he told us what he thinks about the upcoming U2 album, maybe it can be interesting rumour:

"I wouldn’t be surprised if you in the upcoming years you would hear less about Bono as a champion of Africa and more about Bono as a musician. I know there is something very interesting that he said to me, have you heard about that American record producer, Rick Rubin?, he is the one who produced Johnny Cash in the mid-90’s called Solitary man. He made a series of albums of Johnny Cash that really helped Johnny Cash regain his lost talent, you know it’s really stark recordings, very naked, very little instrumentation. They are wonderful records. And Rick Rubin has this genious stripping down the sound, and really helping the singer to get the most imtimate performance in his voice. And Bono is a great admirerer of RR. And RR has been saying he wants to make a record for U2 for ten years. He’s been saying that U2 is his favourite band so it might happen. If it happens we’re gonna be very surprised because it’s gonna be a U2 album that you’ve never heard. If RR produce the next record it’s gonna be more adventurous. And it will be sg. that might be as dramatic and as shocking as Achtung Baby was after the Joshua Tree. And this is what I’m hoping for.
I hope they will take this chance and maybe they were not ready to take this chance a couple of years ago but maybe now they might feel a bit more secure. It’s not that easy to remain at the top … It is a very hard position. I think it would be fantastic but I do not know if it’s going to happen. Because we discussed it with Bono and I said to him but you should do that! They are thinking about it. "

Wow - very interesting.. thanks! Didn't Rubin also produce alot of the Chili Peppers work? Just because of his work with Cash and Diamond, I don't think he's creative powers are necessarily limited to solo work and could provide an interesting new approach for U2.

Back
Top Bottom