(07-01-2004) Bono Slated for Kennedy Tribute -- AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Slated for Kennedy Tribute

By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - When the Democrats descend on Boston for their national convention this month, there will be no escaping the Kennedys. A tribute to family patriarch Ted, the dedication of a memorial to Rose and a remembrance of Bobby as well as the attendance of A-list movie and music stars could overshadow JFK ? Democratic presidential candidate John F. Kerry.

The purpose of the four-day convention is to hail Kerry, the state's junior senator, and crown him as the Democratic Party's nominee. But Edward Kennedy, the state's senior senator, generations of his family and their legacy loom large.

"Many of the convention events are going to be at the Kennedy Library, you're going to drive down John F. Kennedy Boulevard, you're going to pass in front of the John F. Kennedy courthouse and look at the statue of John F. Kennedy in front of the statehouse," said Sen. Christopher J. Dodd, D-Conn., a close Kennedy friend. "For modern Democrats, you can't dissociate the city of Boston, the state of Massachusetts and the Kennedy family."

By sheer numbers, the Kennedys will be omnipresent. Sen. Edward Kennedy is expecting more than 100 family members to attend the convention beginning July 26, and he has reserved about 100 rooms at a single hotel.

He expects his niece, Maria Shriver, but not her husband, California Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who is scheduled to speak at the Republican National Convention in New York in August.

Kennedy will address the Democratic convention in prime time on the second night, and then head to a tribute at Symphony Hall honoring his more than four decades of public service. Headliners for the salute include U2's Bono, composer and former Boston Pops conductor John Williams and cellist Yo-Yo Ma.

"Boston is home to our family," Kennedy said in a recent interview. "It's a wonderful thing to get a chance to have the Democratic Party, which has been an instrument for social change and economic progress, to come there and nominate a native son. All the stars have lined up."

On the first day, Kennedy family and friends will gather near Boston's North End for the formal dedication of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway, a 30-acre stretch of parkland that will wind through downtown Boston atop the old Central Artery highway. Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy died in January 1995 at the age of 104.

On the first night, the Kennedy family will attend a star-studded cocktail reception and fund-raiser for the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial, a nonprofit organization named after the former attorney general and New York senator who was assassinated after winning the California Democratic presidential primary in 1968.

Tickets to the invitation-only event at the Boston College Club range from $1,000 to $50,000, with some 300 to 400 guests expected. Among the celebrities on the guest list are actresses Meg Ryan, Demi Moore and Susan Sarandon, and recent Oscar winner Tim Robbins.

Kerry is an honorary chairman of the event.

Democrats are quick to emphasize that the convention is all about nominating Kerry as the challenger to President Bush and energizing the party faithful for the Nov. 2 election. They argue that the Kennedy events will not overshadow the White House candidate.

"It's a big convention, a big party," said Kerry spokesman Michael Meehan. "We have a lot of great friends who will be there to nominate John Kerry. It's John Kerry's hometown, and Senator Kennedy's hometown ? there will be a lot of energy and excitement."

Smaller but no less exclusive events include a luncheon on the third day hosted by Kennedy and Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., for senators and their families at the JFK Library. Kennedy's wife, Victoria Reggie Kennedy, will host a luncheon on the second day for Teresa Heinz Kerry, wife of the candidate.

The prospect of the Kennedys in the spotlight at the convention is welcome news to the Republicans. Through the years, GOP candidates have used Edward Kennedy's image to raise money and energize conservative voters.

"This presents an opportunity to showcase the fact that Ted Kennedy is the conservative senator from Massachusetts," said Republican National Committee spokeswoman Christine Iverson. "And if Ted Kennedy is the icon of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party, John Kerry's voting record is even more out of the mainstream."

Ok. Since this is coming from AP, I believe it.
I don't see anything wrong about Bono being involved in a
Kennedy tribute. JFK & Bobby are deserving of tributes.
Another thought. Bono being Irish, as our the Kennedy's,
what better way to salute them than to have Bono there.
Another Irishman, that's made his mark on the world.
:)

Last edited:
I'm hoping Bono will participate via satellite so he won't have to spend any more time away from the studio than he has to. I want the friggin' album finished! :mad:

I don't disagree with the B-man too often - but this time I must. (And I am a lifelong left-wing progressive person).

Bono needs to stay out of the American political fray - if this tribute was taking place at a different time than the Democratic convention then I wouldn't care if he participated or not in this soiree, but I don't know how his Republican allies on the Global AIDS issue in Congress will look at this! :down:

My ONLY concern is for the continued funding of Global AIDS and antipoverty measures in Congress, especially for Africa.

I just hope this doesn't backfire for Bono's efforts for Africa. I will keep my fingers crossed for continued success for Bono.:angel:

I agree to apoint too Jamila but on the other Ted Kennedy has been a supporter of the Global Aids fight and a friend of Bono's and Bobby Shriver being a cofounder of DATA doesnt hurt as well..
This will I expect we one part salute to Ted Kennedy by Bono and one part America get your ass in gear on this Global Aids, Debt and Trade front in a way that only Bono can do..He needs the Democrates as much as the Republicans so he will swim on both sides of the lake without trying to make to many waves on either.

as Bono said about it "That?s my job, to provide applause when somebody does the right and courageous thing and to provide criticism when they don?t" I don't think Bono would be going if this was going to hurt the fight.. I think it's a thank you to a friend and a bit strategic ....or maybe he wants to attend a good party and I am with him on that!! ha!!

Jamila said:
I don't disagree with the B-man too often - but this time I must. (And I am a lifelong left-wing progressive person).

Bono needs to stay out of the American political fray - if this tribute was taking place at a different time than the Democratic convention then I wouldn't care if he participated or not in this soiree, but I don't know how his Republican allies on the Global AIDS issue in Congress will look at this! :down:

My ONLY concern is for the continued funding of Global AIDS and antipoverty measures in Congress, especially for Africa.

I just hope this doesn't backfire for Bono's efforts for Africa. I will keep my fingers crossed for continued success for Bono.:angel:

I'm with you this time, Jamila :up:

Ted Kennedy is not the much loved character his brother was. He has been loathed by many for years. I know he has helped with Bono's cause, but so have many others he hasn't associated himself with. Bono is buddies with Bobby Shriver, Ted's nephew and Maria's brother. But this is too touchy considering the political implications. He should not appear to be taking sides, that's not good for the cause.

Last edited:
On the other hand, if I remember correctly, somewhat recently George Bush Sr. gave some sort of award to Ted Kennedy for his service despite some of the more volatile things that Kennedy had said about his son, so I guess it's possible to be done without endorsing Kennedy's political views.

But I must admit that doing it near the Democratic convention during the same time period gives the event a slight appearance of partisanship.

Ok...this is getting a wee bit silly methinks.
( imo)
Because Bono may be present at a tribute for the Kennedy's, all the sudden now the Conservatives will get upset and not fund or make less funds for AIDS?
I'm no fan of the Conservatives, but I serously doubt they'd be so nitpicky over Bono doing a thing for the Kennedy's. Uh oh....Bono with those Kennedys! We must now withdrawl all our funding for AIDS now! This is ridiculous.

Everyone seems to forget Ted Kennedy got away with leaving his young mistress to die in the waters off Martha's Vineyard in 1969. Chappaquiddick was more than a scandal. It was a coverup of murder. Even if he didn't intend to kill her, he didn't try to save her. Tell her family he deserves to be honored and rewarded.

http://www.gfsnet.org/msweb/sixties/chappaquiddick.html

http://www.ytedk.com/intro.htm

He walked because he was rich and famous. Just like OJ!

Last edited:
I also think the Kennedy tribute does not equal supporting the Democrats or Kerry.

I'm no fan of the Conservatives, but I serously doubt they'd be so nitpicky over Bono doing a thing for the Kennedy's.
I agree on this and I am as nitpicky as anyone when it comes to what Bono and DATA get invlved with ( Jamila youknow this) .. because it's honouring Ted Kennedy and because of Bono's ties and friendship with the Kenendy's Bobbby through DATA and Eunice founder of Special Olympics ( Bono Global Ambassador)
I dont think the Republicans will get all up in arms .. and I think Bono knows better then me what this will mean so if he does show I trust his judgement.. I would have been alot more suprised if Arnold showed up..

As for Ted Kennedy's past .. no I havent forgot that and although it was tragic and maybe .. maybe justice was not served accord
ing to some the way they wanted it.. He pled guilty , andI recall her mother came to terms with it and has been a Ted Kennedy supporter

This sounds like it's a family thing and not dedicated to one person. They're saluting Bobby and Rose. That's OK. I'm not a big fan of Ted's, either, but they can't exactly keep him out of the family reunion. He's "of the blood". This thing is going to last four days. It may be that Bono and Ted won't be there on the same day. Who knows? It might not be so bad.

i believe that bono will be here more in terms of supporting the kennedy family and the ideals of social justice that they aspire to. there is nothing wrong with this. bobby shriver and he are obviously close and ted kennedy i am sure helped open some political doors for bono.
but media-wise, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. the ap article mentions that all these a-list celebs may overshadow kerry, with all eyes on who is at the kennedy tribute.
plus, the media could make it appear bono is there supporting the dems. (which of course, he probably is).
in any case, hopefully he will be in and out of boston quickly.
i wonder if this tribute will include a musical performance by bono or just a speech?

U2Kitten said:
Everyone seems to forget Ted Kennedy got away with leaving his young mistress to die in the waters off Martha's Vineyard in 1969. Chappaquiddick was more than a scandal. It was a coverup of murder. Even if he didn't intend to kill her, he didn't try to save her. Tell her family he deserves to be honored and rewarded.

http://www.gfsnet.org/msweb/sixties/chappaquiddick.html

http://www.ytedk.com/intro.htm

He walked because he was rich and famous. Just like OJ!

I am not a fan of Ted. Eventhough, it turns out she was driving that night,
what Ted did and didn't do was criminal.
According to Ted, he was in shock and
scared. If It was your average Joe Dude
walking the street, he'd have the book
thrown at him.
Yes..Ted's last name helped him out of that mess.....no doubt.
Wasn't aware that this tribute is only
for Ted Kennedy? Thats how these threads are starting to sound. :huh:

RockNRollDawgie said:

I am not a fan of Ted. Eventhough, it turns out she was driving that night,
what Ted did and didn't do was criminal.
According to Ted, he was in shock and
scared. If It was your average Joe Dude
walking the street, he'd have the book
thrown at him.

Right, that would not have been a good enough excuse for Joe Blow. If Ted cracks that easily under pressure and gets 'scared' to the point where it impairs his judgement, perhaps an important job like Senator is not the best position to have such a person in. I see nothing to salute in the guy. I don't even wanna see the "hot pics" from this event.

RockNRollDawgie said:
Ok...this is getting a wee bit silly methinks.
( imo)
Because Bono may be present at a tribute for the Kennedy's, all the sudden now the Conservatives will get upset and not fund or make less funds for AIDS?
I'm no fan of the Conservatives, but I serously doubt they'd be so nitpicky over Bono doing a thing for the Kennedy's. Uh oh....Bono with those Kennedys! We must now withdrawl all our funding for AIDS now! This is ridiculous.
That sounds about right to me. By the way, the article doesn't mention who actually HAS slated Bono for this tribute - can anyone shed some light on this for a naive Irishman?:huh:

:wink: Gosh! If I only had an extra $1,000 laying around!:sexywink: And of course, I would have to leave my voters registration at home! LOL @ kelly! Hey-he may be on the next U2 record!!! hee-lol just teasin'!!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom