(06-30-2003) Another Sweet Thing from U2: New CD - Boston Herald*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Another Sweet Thing from U2: New CD
By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

It's been a long four years for U2 fans, who Still Haven't Found What They're Looking For - a new album. But today we can exclusively report that the end of the long wait is near.

A source close to Boston's favorite musical import tells the Track a new, as-yet-untitled single will be released the third week of September with an album to follow at Thanksgiving.

Bono says the CD is ``the best ever,'' our spy reports. And he is ``over the moon'' about the new single.

Well, we should hope so! After all, the legendary Irish band hasn't released an album since 2000's ``All That You Can't Leave Behind'' and U2 fans' Desire for some new tunes has gone from a Rattle and Hum to an Unforgettable Fire!

For more than two years, fan Web sites have obsessively tracked every rumor, clue, news report or innuendo trying to pinpoint when Bono & Co. would deliver a new disc.

``Is this the most anticipated U2 album ever?'' asks a fan on a popular U2 forum. ``Four years is a long wait, and given all the hints that Bono has dropped over the last two years . . . yeah, I'd say it's their most anticipated.''

The band has been playing it close to the leather vest about the progress of the record and hasn't exactly explained what the holdup has been. Rumor has it some of the band members were annoyed Bono's peripatetic left-wing politicking has taken him away from the studio.

In a 2003 interview with a British tab, Bono joked about the reports and said the new album was ``a monster, a dragon'' that's ``filled with big tunes and it's driven by a guitar player (Edge) who is sick of the sight of me shaking hands with dodgy politicians. The anger is unbelievable.''

(No word on what The Edge thinks of Bono's plan to help headline the Ted Kennedy tribute during the Democratic National Convention!)

But our spies say the real reason U2's record has been Stuck In A Moment wasn't politics as much as quality control. Reportedly, Bono wasn't happy with the music the band was making in the Dublin studios.

Last February, U2 summoned Steve Lillywhite, who worked on ``The Joshua Tree,'' ``Achtung Baby'' and ``All That You Can't Leave Behind,'' to oversee the new record along with legendary production wizard Flood. And apparently, that gave the band the Elevation they needed to finish the disc.

Rumor has it that U2 will tour in support of the new disc in 2005. At one point, there reportedly were plans for the band to set up shop in Boston for rehearsals and kick off the tour here - a schedule that would have them in the city for as long as five weeks.

But no tour plans have yet been announced. So do stay tuned.

There appears to be many more Beautiful Day(s) ahead.

http://www.bostonherald.com/

Many thanks to Joyel!

:eyebrow: There is nothing we haven't really heard, or have been hearing. Personally, I think it's just more speculation.

ylimeU2 said:
:eyebrow: There is nothing we haven't really heard, or have been hearing. Personally, I think it's just more speculation.

Everything is speculation including most print articles right now until U2 decides to make a formal announcement.

Quality control? I don't like the sound of that...

and since when did they want to reherse (don't they do that in Dublin?) and start the tour in Boston? (i though nothing was clear on that until McGuiness stated they start in Miami)

What's all this about U2 putting out a new album?

I thought they broke up in 1989?

that is the most lame ass article i have ever read. can't the guy come us with his own words instead of using U2'isms for every situation?

otherwise, September sounds good.

They do reherse before the tour starts, or at least they did that for Zoo and (can't remember about Pop) Elevation rehersals were the mini club concerts you could say.

I agree mikal - not the best article I've ever read about U2.

What I REALLY didn't like was the reference to Bono's "left-wing politicking"! These people know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THE B-MAN.:no:

Bono's social activism has ALWAYS BEEN NONPARTISAN so where they come up with it being left-wing beats me!

I guess they equate caring about equality and justice for poor people, especially in Africa, as "left-wing"!:scratch:

Very sad.

I am glad that Bono is so enthusiastic about their new music.

THANKS, U2, FOR STICKING IT OUT TOGETHER AND BRINGING US ANOTHER BRILLIANT CD OF MUSIC SOON! :love: :up: :bono: :hug:

"(...) peripatetic left-wing politicking (...)"

Can someone explain this quote to someone who is not very well oriented in your politics?

BTW - :dance: for september....:cool: :D :)

It's all rumors until I see something official from the Band, Paul or the record label.

There have been too many lies and rumors over the past four years...I don't believe any of it.

It should be pointed out that the Boston Herald is the right-leaning newspaper in Boston, playing a role similar to that of the Washington Times to the Post, so to them, Bono probably appears pretty left wing.

Regardless, I'm happy to hear Bono is "over the moon" with it, if that is indeed what he said. The last time he said that about a project, it was the Joshua Tree.

This article is from a column called the inside track - it is similar to how liz smith writes for the new york post.

i do like the idea of starting the tour here rather than miami.

(Groan) that was one of the cheesiest articles ever. Someone needs to throw both so called 'journalists' into the unforgettable fire...

bathiu said:
"(...) peripatetic left-wing politicking (...)"

Can someone explain this quote to someone who is not very well oriented in your politics?

It's a reference to Bono's travelling often to work on causes that some people think are more liberal. Hope that helps. In America, conservatives (like Republicans) and referred to as right wing and liberals (like Democrats) are called left wing.

mikal said:
that is the most lame ass article i have ever read. can't the guy come us with his own words instead of using U2'isms for every situation?

otherwise, September sounds good.
The women of the Inside Track always write with this silly pun-style, so for readers of the paper its nothing new. (though i agree it is pretty lame) Anyway, the important bit everyone is glossing over is the possibility of U2 setting up shop here in Boston for 5 weeks next year. Woohoo party at my place, Bono working the grill, Edge mixing drinks, Larry bouncing and Adam sitting quietly.

And here was me thinking Boston was a sophisticated city.
Anyone think we should start taking bets on how many more papers claim that their city will be the start of the tour and U2's base before March.
Offers anyone...........

O My Lord, how many u2 song references can you have in one article? I think there were 20 of them in there. First of all, I think the writer scrapped together Internet information and wrote this article. Bono wasn't happy with the music the band was playing in the studio? Did they pick up on something we didnt? I've been looking at new albums news since the Elevation tour ended in 2001, and I've never heard Bono say anything remotely negative about the new album. He's just putting it on a pedestal (which he usually does). I'm not reading anything into it, personally i think she took the "punk rock made on venus" quote and changed it to "over the moon." I love the summer but I hope this one passes by quickly, SEPTEMBER BABY!!!

Shame on the Boston Herald for using the dismissive label of "left-wing politicking" in regards to Bono.

Bono has always been very politically fair-minded and even-handed.

dsmith2904 said:

It's a reference to Bono's travelling often to work on causes that some people think are more liberal. Hope that helps. In America, conservatives (like Republicans) and referred to as right wing and liberals (like Democrats) are called left wing.

Thank you...:wink:

"Most highly anticipated U2 album ever"? That's bollocks. The anticipation just seems more thanks to the internet age. Between R&H and Achtung there was no internet rumor mill so the high anticipation was not as noticed as now. But anticipation is nothing without sales. Now I'd like to see the next album be U2's best seller ever, but it has no chance whatsoever. Even if it can just do 75% of the US sales of ATYCLB, it will already be considered a success. But if the slow tempo post-ATYCLB songs are any indication for the future - Hands, Electric Storm (which takes too long to build up that we fall asleep when the loud guitars come in), That's Life (Bono starting to do lounge singing - oh my!), American Prayer (boooring) --- then U2's new album looks destined for failure. They should do more accessible music like Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment with a little bit more prominent guitars.

Cheers,

J

Actually, it probably is their most anticipated ever. Because the wait in between is the longest ever, and because the last album was a success.

Sales? We'll see, if they have a big single like BD was, I wouldn't worry about that.

I don't see how people always seem to think post-ATYCLB are any signs for the future. Hands was a soundtrack song anyway, and Edge said ES was a hint at the new direction, while he'd like to work on faster stuff. That's life was Bono solo anyway, and American prayer was, again, just Bono and Edge joining in for a charity song.

Having said that, all the hints point out to rockier album, and more guitars than the last time around - maybe closer to AB, for example.

I agree, I wouldnt look at their recent tracks as any indication to the new album. "Hands" was a soundtrack song which I never got into but it was nice, you can't make a rocker about Irish immigration/9-11 remembrance. same with american prayer, a little tough. That was god awful. I liked the original version of "Electrical Storm" which was full of great guitars until William Orbit butchered it. And "My Life" was Bono solo, so thats not u2. I think this will be a great success, especially in rock n roll circles. When it comes to sales, I'm not sure because it might not be as poppy or radio-friendly as soons like "B-Day" and "Stuck in a Moment," but the sales will be there. It's u2.

Back
Top Bottom