(06-27-2004) Bono To Receive Neruda Honor - La Nacion Line*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono To Receive Neruda Centennial Honor

On July 12th, Bono and 100 other worldwide artistic and cultural dignataries will receive the Pablo Neruda Centennial Honor bestowed by the Chilean Government in remembrance of the beloved poet's birthday. According to La Nacion Line, Bono will receive the honor along with authors "Ernesto Sabato, Carlos Sources, the ex-president of Colombia Belisario Betancourt, and [British] actress Julie Christie."

For more information, visit: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/04/06/26/dq_613378.asp

Many thanks to Debbie K!

Last edited:
Lovely, wonderfu, very deserving honor but I really wish that all of the awards for Bono would kindly wait until the man has finished the friggin' album. After that bring on the awards.

ok-... I'm from Chile...

Pedro Neruda?..... :mad:

it's PABLO Neruda...

sure, I don't like the guy, but at least I got to make that thing up, don't I?

Pablo Neruda's poetry is the Heart and Soul of the People of Chile. I would recommend any of us reading some of his poetry - it is eloquent, lyrical and uplifting. It reminds a lot of some Irish poetry I've read.:up:

Remember the PopMart concert in Santiago, Chile and Bono's rebuke of former dictator Gen. Augusto Pinochet to "tell these women where are their children"? BRILLIANT!:hug:

And Bono also remembered another EXTRORDINARY Chilean poet - Victor Jara (memorialized in "One Tree Hill") who was killed by the Pinochet regime for his BEAUTIFUL and INSPIRING music to inspire the Chilean people to struggle for their freedom. :angel:

WHAT A GREAT HONOR TO BESTOW ON THE B-MAN! I'm sure that this award will be a very special one for him.

THANK YOU, BONO, FOR ALWAYS REMEMBERING AND WORKING FOR JUSTICE FOR THE POOR AND THE OPPRESSED.:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Hey all -

I want to sincerely apologize for my typo - I had written the blurb so fast and didn't check it afterwards for mistakes. It has been fixed, and again, I am so sorry about this.

Best,
C

It's the Pablo Neruda medal of honor to be given out on the 100th anniversary of the birth of Neruda. :wink:

I'm thinking that part of the reason the government of Chile is honoring Bono has to do with his OWN lyrical poetry through U2's songs AND his unwavering outspokenness on behalf of the rights of the Chilean people - as I mentioned in my first post. :love:

Pablo Neruda, Victor Jara, Bono - the same desire for Freedom and Justice courses through their lives, plus they are all HOPELESS ROMANTICS!:hug:

Again - an AWESOME AWARD FOR THE B-MAN! :bono: :angel: :applaud:

I don't know how great his poems are... and look where I'm from...

All I know is that Neruda is more respected and listened to outside of Chile (he's quite boring to hear, and I don't like any poet that doesn't put music to his words)

and Jamila... Heart And Soul of Chile?????... I really don't think so... but is a nice thought, thou.

Back
Top Bottom