(06-23-2005) I Can't Sing With or Without You -- Daily Record*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
I Can't Sing With or Without You

Maria left speechless over Hampden dance with Bono

By Craig Mcdonald

MEET the student who is the envy of U2 fans the world over.

The Record have uncovered Maria Pia Coppola as the girl lifted onstage beside Bono at the Irish group's Hampden gig on Tuesday.

But she revealed yesterday that he told her to keep quiet while he was singing to her.

Maria was plucked from the baying crowd for a cheek-to-cheek dance with singer Bono during the anthem With Or Without You.

Overcome with joy, Maria, 25, from Edinburgh, said: 'I was trembling - I couldn't believe it. Bono grabbed me. I just started crying.

'He put his finger over his mouth to gesture me to keep quiet.

'Then I couldn't say anything. I had been waiting for this moment since I was 12. I'm still shaking.'

Maria, studying marketing at Strathclyde University, said: 'I've been to so many U2 concerts and I know Bono often takes a girl up on stage for a dance during one of the songs.

'I've been following U2 since I was 12. It has always been my dream to be the one on stage. I love Bono - I love his music, the way he looks and everything he stands for.

'When the song Zoo Station came on I managed to catch his eye. I asked, using hand signals, if I could get up onstage and he seemed to give the go-ahead.

'I was at the edge of the crowd and a security man helped meup.'

Maria's moment was filmed by a fan on his phone and he emailed it to her later that night

--Daily Record

It would be hilarious if one of these girls didn't keep their mouth shut and said something rather forthcoming and inappropiate to Bono - and it was picked up by the mic for 50,000 people to hear.

Back
Top Bottom