(06-23-2005) Butch Vig's Vertigo -- Hotpress.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Butch Vig's Vertigo

The Garbage-man recalls to Hotpress.com his memories of touring with U2 during the final leg of the Elevation Tour, all peppered by a bout with Hepatitis A. Click here to read the registration-required interview. Snippets are below.

On the start of the tour:
"I remember from the very first show we did, which was Indiana, then Chicago, Montreal and Chicago, I felt shitty. I thought I just had a cold, but I kept feeling shittier and shittier every day. There was a show-must-go-on mentality, but it got worse. I remember those two shows in Chicago, after the first night U2 were having a private party in some hot hotel downtown and they’d invited us to go hang. I was so excited; I wanted to be able to just go… party! And just feed off the vibe and the energy that they have. I’ve spent time with the band in the past and it’s always amazing to walk around with Bono and see how people react to him. But he always has a tendency to make everybody he’s with feel like they’re the centre of attention, and I think that’s one of the things that makes their concerts great, he has the ability to make everybody in the room feel like he’s talking to them one-on-one."

On U2 and his illness:
"And at that point U2 knew that something had happened to me, and after I checked the kit out at sound check, Larry came up and said, ‘I’m gonna stand behind you for the whole set. If anything happens, I’m there’. And literally, that’s what he did. He knelt behind me during our set for 40 minutes just watching, ready to grab me and also ready to take over on the drums and carry on and finish the set, which I thought was going beyond the call of duty because he’d never played with us, we'd never done a rehearsal or anything. An amazing gesture. Instead of warming up or sitting backstage he made sure that I made it through the set."

Favourite U2 Album:
"I still think Achtung Baby is my favourite. I’ve probably listened to that more than any of the other records. I think they caught a trashier, grittier sound. I know when we were starting the first Garbage record that was a bit of an influence on us. It was the vibe that they caught on it."

Favourite U2 Single"
"I’d have to say 'One.' It transcends everything."

--Hotpress.com

but larry did stand in for him at one show

what show was it that larry stood in for him? was it annouced to the crowd that larry was drumming? was it cuz butch was too ill, or just as a cool thing to do? how did larry managethe garbage songs?

Great article. Garbage is one of my favourite bands. I like their new album.

Re: but larry did stand in for him at one show

marik said:
what show was it that larry stood in for him? was it annouced to the crowd that larry was drumming? was it cuz butch was too ill, or just as a cool thing to do? how did larry managethe garbage songs?

Larry didn't stand in for him...he sat behind Butch for there whole set in case he fainted or couldn't carry on..so if that happened Larry was sitting behind him to catch him and then play drums for them.....

I believe there was a show where they invited Larry on stage to play drums for one song with them...but that was just a fun thing nothing to do with Butch being unwell i believe...

Larry rocks though..as Butch said...it was well beyond the call of duty..its one of those things that really make me love U2...

^^I really need to stop posting in my brothers account:eyebrow:

dsmith2904 said:
"And at that point U2 knew that something had happened to me, and after I checked the kit out at sound check, Larry came up and said, ‘I’m gonna stand behind you for the whole set. If anything happens, I’m there’. And literally, that’s what he did. He knelt behind me during our set for 40 minutes just watching, ready to grab me and also ready to take over on the drums and carry on and finish the set, which I thought was going beyond the call of duty because he’d never played with us, we'd never done a rehearsal or anything. An amazing gesture. Instead of warming up or sitting backstage he made sure that I made it through the set."

thats such a cool story
:bow:
icon20.gif
:bow:

Back
Top Bottom