(06-11-2005) Debt Cancellation for the World's Poorest Countries -- US Newswire*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
ONE Campaign: Debt Cancellation for the World's Poorest Countries

WASHINGTON, June 11 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The world's wealthiest countries agreed today to write off more than $40 billion of African debt. The deal, struck by finance ministers from the Group of Eight industrialized nations, would wipe out the debts owed by 18 of the world's poorest countries immediately and up to 38 in total, most of which are in Africa. The debt cancellation deal covers debts to international lending agencies such as the World Bank, African Development Bank and International Monetary Fund.

Following is reaction from Bono, U2 lead singer and co-founder of DATA, a founding member of ONE:

The journey of equality took another step today, and broke free millions of people in some of the poorest countries from the bondage of immoral and unjust debts.

The leadership of the jubilee campaigners is bearing fruit once more, we really owe those people, from church basements to national treasuries who have worked so long and so hard for this day.

There's long nights ahead of us all to build up the speed and accelerating for a comprehensive debt-aid-trade deal for the poorest people in the poorest countries at the G8 Gleneagles.

Following is reaction from Seth Amgott, spokesperson for ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History:

Americans asked for leadership in canceling the poorest countries' debts, and we got it from the Bush Administration: this agreement cancels the debts of 18 countries today and up to 38 countries in short order, and it frees up more than $1 billion in the first year and rising -- for more schools, health clinics and farm-to-market roads.

This agreement is a down payment on the historic breakthrough the ONE campaign seeks at the G8 in Gleneagles: more and better development assistance, 100 percent debt cancellation and trade justice. ONE, with the help of the Live 8 concerts, will keep turning up the volume.

Yeah! All his efforts. It makes you truly believe that one should never give up! :applaud:

Bono, is the greatest human alive!

"All Because Of You" Bono

Thanks to your will, charisma, trascendental vision, knowledge, leadership and determination all of this has been possible

You deserve beatification man, imediately
and the Nobel Peace Price, all at once

FRIGGIN AMAZING....AND AWESOME DAY...!
WAY TO GO ONE CAMPAIGN...!

and Bono you are truely an inspiration and beautiful human being!!

Nobel Peace Prize...needs to go to our B-MAN!

:wink:

<<< Also wears her ONE bracelet proudly!

:applaud: This is awesome, just one big step in making the world a better place. Hopefully everything works out smoothly.

I also will where my ONE bracelet more proudly now.

I think it is no longer just a nomination, it will and should be a presentation of the prize. Congrats to B and thanks to his 3 mates for being patient! Now the Aids relief! The more obvious one, humanity first!

Wonderful start. I am so proud and happy of EVERYONE who has put time, effort and thier voices into this. There is many nameless and faceless people behind this who deserve as much adulation as Bono. I truly hope Bono does recieve the Peace Prize for the tireless work he has done. And I pray that The Journey Of Equality lives and moves on.

stars has the right idea.

It is the grassroots efforts of the millions of people around the world who supported the "Drop the Debt" movement over the last seven years who also contributed to this victory for the world's poorest people.

Bono is just ONE individual - a very important and influential person in this movement. But he would tell you that he is not the hero here - the grassroots activists around the world are.

Just yesterday I ran a booth for The ONE Campaign at a regional meeting of progressive activists - this is the sort of effort the B-man is proud of.

And he would remind us that wearing a white band is only the start - it should not be the extent of our activism.

Excellent news for the world's poorest people - it should have happened years ago.

This is such great news for all of those countries. I'm so happy it finally happened!

I hope the sense of the G8 continues in Gleneagles.

This is a little late but yay for Africa!!!!!!!! Interesting, when I read this in the Times yesterday, I immediately got the "halleluliah" part that Bono does at the end of RtSS in my head...

Back
Top Bottom