(06-08-2005) Bush on Bono - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bush on Bono

Several of you have written in about US President George W. Bush's comments about eradicating poverty and meeting Bono yesterday. Below is the question that was posed and President Bush's comments in full:

Q: You've talked of what you've hoped to do for Africa. Do you regard the phrase "make poverty history" as rhetoric from rock stars? Or do you really believe in your gut that this the year it could happen? And, Mr. President, if I may, as well, on climate change -- you didn't talk about climate change -- do you believe that climate change is manmade and that you, personally, as the leader of the richest country in the world, have a responsibility to reverse that change?

PRESIDENT BUSH: Let me address your first question. Talk about -- you said, I'm willing to talk about what we're going to do -- I want you to focus on what we have done, for starters. I mean, part of the -- part of this world, we've got a lot of big talkers. What I like to say is my administration actually does what we say we're going to do -- and we have. When I say we're going to make a commitment to triple aid in Africa, I meant it, and we did. When I said we're going to lead an initiative, an HIV/AIDS initiative, the likes of which the world has never seen before on the continent of Africa, we have done that, and we're following through. And so when I say we're going to do more, I think you
can take that to the bank, as we say, because of what we have done. We have taken a leadership role.

Second question -- do I believe in my gut we can eradicate poverty? I do believe we can eradicate poverty. And, by the way, Bono has come to see me. I admire him. He is a man of depth and a great heart who cares deeply about the impoverished folks on the continent of Africa, and I admire his leadership on the issue. And so I do believe -- I don't view -- I can't remember how you characterized the rock stars, but I don't characterize them that way, having met the man.

To read more on this press conference, go here.

Last edited:
Bush: "We've tripled aid to Africa"?? WHAT A BALD-FACED LIE!!!! WHY didn't any reporter chgallenge him on that statement? "Tripled aid" means throwing out a figure (the Millinium Challenge goal, that 5 bill or whatever it was), where before we comitted absolutely zero. And nobody mentioned that Congress slashed that 5 bil down to 2.5 last fall..and NOBODY has had the guts to ask Bush point-blank WHY NONE of that money has yet been appropriated. Not one red cent, in 3 years. And most of the debt forgiven was actually forgiven by Clinton. (It should be mentioned that forgiving debt is all that Clinton did, so who is better: Clinton, who forgave debt but proposed no aid, or Bush, who forgave a scrap of debt and threw out a landmark figure that he hasn't followed up on? Seems they're the same on this issue. Both don't give a damn, though whenever Bono comes to town they delight in spouting hot air. It's good for the polls. And Bush nneds all the help he can get right now, poll-wise.)Blair is actually starting to get serious though.

And WHY did nobody challenge Bush's "we've done so much, and we're committed to doing more" crap with a pointed and detailed question about Bush's meeting with Prime Minister Mbeki 3 or 4 days ago, where Bush told him point-blank that the U.S. had no money for aid--we were too busy fighting the War on Terror and it just wasn't in the budget? What Bush told him, he'd tell to any other African leader. Even, I suspect, Mandela. THAT is Bush's real reply, and I am appalled that the media continues to fawn and slaver over him and not challenge him with tough questions. It's not like we're talking about the Supreme Court or Iraq or Social Security here. Or even global warming, which he SHOULD be grilled on too, but is a much more controversial issue than the former Jubilee's agenda. This is a "neutral" issue, by comparison.

Not that Blair should get off scot free either....his sucking up to Bush on certian issues is disgusting. But right now I admire the man very much. He is the leader right now, NOT Bush. I would love to know just what they said behind closed doors. Did Bush tell him the same thing he told Mbeki?

More to the point, what I would not have given to be a fly on the wall during Bono's private (thank God) meeting. 5 yrs ago, I think Bono would not have had the guts to ask a tough question to a President point blank, even Clinton; or argue. But all the things he's seen this decade, and all the experience with politicians, as well as privately lowered expectations as a result of years of broken promises, must have stripped him of any hesitation. I hope to God Bono did challenge him point-blank about Mbeki, and I'm sure Bono wouldn't frig around and take a hedgy answer, or be snowed over like he was on the phone by Wolfowitz. I wish this had happened 3 weeks ago...b/c I met Bono in NY and I'd have asked him. You know he'd answer a fan! (Hey, any Europeans on here, that's a good question to ask Bono at the shows!)

And finally: I am SO SO sick of hearing people lecturing aobut how Africa has to mend its corrupt ways before we give them a penny. I hope you've all read Jeffrey Sachs's book, it'll tell you why this is just not an option. Not totally possible, and not in the beginning. WHY we can't set this as an ironbound condition in stone. One can't happen without the other. I'm sure there are many in the world who couldf justifyably give US the same lecture nowadays. How about Kenya's Health Minister, who, after a recent encounter with a dying man who was refused treatment at a hospital becuase he had no money, is full-out rebelling against her gov't and advocating universal health care for all Kenyans? Do you realize how much money this could save, esp for NGO's? The Kenyan Gov't is not happy about this chickedee. WHo knows if they will try to throw her out, have her killed, etc? What could we do to encourage this positive development in the Kenyan gov't, so that its highest officals might be more amenable to reform? This potential "reform" was involunatary--we did not ask them do this. If we do not immediately throw them a carrot in the form of REAL appropraited aid, to "reward" them for this development and encourage them to further reform, what hope do countries like Kenya have? If we do nothing to substantively address developments like this, she will be thrown out of power or worse, and Kenya might be lost. We have a narrow, God-given window open here, and not much time to act. Of course, it;s possible the gov't might squander this money to, but it's a chance we have to take. Why doesn't Bush invite HER to the White House? I HOPE Bono discussed issues like this with Bush too.

I am SO SICK of these reporters and their softball, "Do you like ice cream?" questions to Bush. I can just see how this press confeference would have gone if this had happened 6 yrs ago. The only good thing aobut this is, the issues are finally on the table in the highest possible way. It's now a certified "issue". But being an "issue" is no longer enough. This is more of an emergency than the War on Terror.

Sorry if I'm being cynical. This is not a knee-jerk reaction to Bush. Not on this issue anyway. I'd react the same way to others, if they had also blithely come out with such a colossal lie, and were not taken up on it. The time is coming when lies of such magnitude are going to be deadly, and cost us a great deal. We can't ignore this much longer. It shouldn't have to come to the concert or "white band" level.

One last thing: Is there such a thing as "clean coal"? Why did Britian switch from coal to other forms of power as soon as they became available?

Last edited:
I hate Bush. He is completely incompetent in everything. Whenever he does anything....either millions of people lose money, millions of people lose jobs, or thousands of Americans die. **VOTE FOR BONO IN '08!!!!**

(yeah i know we gotta change a couple laws first)

Let's not issue blankets statements on politicans, please. Regardless of how we feel about them. (That's for FYM:wink: ).

I hope we can stick on topic. I realize any pairing of Bono and top-level Bush officials is controversial for many (myself, at times)

Bush is a proven liar. It is the main hallmark of his presidency.

As Teta says, reporters/the media are partly to blame. Rather than challenge him on his behaviour, they usually just roll over, thus validating the behaviour.

Last edited:
Finance Guy, I'll go against my own suggestion for a sec, and admit I agree with you 100%...but lies are not proven as such if no-one challenges them. As Johnathan Alter wrote in this week's Time, Nixon would not only remain in power if Watergate had happened today, but he's be lionized too.

Jamila, where are you?:wink: We need suggestions on how to snowball and blazzard, Focus On The Family-style, Bush on this, and put the heat on him. Let's a have a response worthy of the "Religious Right" (who, as Jim Wallis says, should NOT be confused with "evangelicals' or "religious conservatives". The Right is different....)

Last edited:
On topic all...
Bono is good, Bush was elected
Teta, it seems you have way too much time with the length of your rant. Why don't you spend that time writing letters to your congressman?
It's nice that world leaders will listen to our Rock star. They listen because he speaks from the heart with both passion and knowledge.

Jono, I DO! LOL.:wink: My Congressman "knows" me quite well. In fact, he has even written back once. An actual letter. Too bad it was on Bosnia, (the first time I wrote him) not on Africa though.

I've said my piece. I'll bow out of here I think.

I hope "folks" will reply to some of what I said above. Esp about Kenya. That should get a good discussion going.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom