(06-01-2005) Keep Your Eyes Peeled! -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Keep Your Eyes Peeled!

Several Interference.com members have reported seeing the new video for "City of Blinding Lights" on The Box and European MTV channels. The video may also be available online.

The COBL video was directed by Alex & Martin, the duo behing the Grammy-winning "Vertigo" clip, and shot in Vancouver. Read more about the video shoot here.

The COBL single hits shelves next week.

I have seen the video on my local Irish language channel music show,it is very similiar to a concert version. Bono' voice is sounding good,as it is a live version, and adam is looking unusually animated!

Thank you Thank you Thank you :bow:

That's just what I needed to see to remind me why I'm going to see the best band in the world, in 2 weeks time! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Thanks for posting the link. While I hope the Vertigo DVD looks and sounds that great, as a music video, I think COBL is really poor. Has U2 completely given up on making great videos? Where's the drama of "Electrical Storm" and "All I Want Is You"? What happened to the whimsy of "Numb" and "Elevation"? What about the experimentation of "Even Better Than the Real Thing" and "Discotheque"? If U2 is truly serious about maintain the "biggest/best band in the world" title, a kick-ass video is in order.

dsmith2904 said:
Thanks for posting the link. While I hope the Vertigo DVD looks and sounds that great, as a music video, I think COBL is really poor. Has U2 completely given up on making great videos? Where's the drama of "Electrical Storm" and "All I Want Is You"? What happened to the whimsy of "Numb" and "Elevation"? What about the experimentation of "Even Better Than the Real Thing" and "Discotheque"? If U2 is truly serious about maintain the "biggest/best band in the world" title, a kick-ass video is in order.

I comPLETELY agree. I was sitting there watching it going "meh..." It took all I had to not just shut it off half-way through. I asked myself the same question.

"What is this trite crap and what happened to the edgier (no pun intended) U2 videos?"

I mean the Vertigo video was kinda cool. But this video is nothing short of stale.

dsmith2904 said:

Dude... a kick-ass video?
What about All Because Of You?

Very WTSHNN and it rocked!
Then there's the SYCMIOYO video which is the most sincere video since One!

Achtung Ya'll said:

I comPLETELY agree. I was sitting there watching it going "meh..." It took all I had to not just shut it off half-way through. I asked myself the same question.

"What is this trite crap and what happened to the edgier (no pun intended) U2 videos?"

I mean the Vertigo video was kinda cool. But this video is nothing short of stale.

This is a live concert video, every band puts one out when they are on the road because they don't have as much time to do it as say going to the Paris airport to film Beautiful Day...

This video should be compared to "Who's going to ride your wild horses" in my opinion

_______

Don't let the bastards grind you down

If only the Chicago DVD was going to look like that, now that's how you shoot a live performance, has a real cinematic quality to it. Why couldn't they have got Alex and Martin to direct their DVD instead of Hamish Hamilton.

^^^I thought Hamish gave a great cinematic feel to the Boston DVD. Even used a lot of similar camera angles and such. Hell, if you watch the documentary they hired him specifically because he gave live events a "cinematic" feel. Now when you're shooting a video that isn't really from a live performance (meaning it was pieced together from like 10 playings of the song and not in the middle of a real concert) you're allowed to do things that you wouldn't be able in a concert (different lighting, better angles because you can get places you really couldn't during a real concert). Stuff like that.

well I wouldn't really call it "live." I mean it's made to look like a live video but isn't totally. And I have no problem with a video that takes place in a live venue setting. There are just ways of making it more interesting. And if you ARE going to do a live video then the performance needs to have something to differentiate itself from just what is basically a studio track put over the "live" performance.

Last edited:
AngelofHarlem01 said:
a friend an England told me he just saw it on a video station over there, anyone caught it here in the US yet? rather strange U2.com hasn't posted it.

Not strange at all, unfortunately. That's U2.com for you.... :|

Video blew........this could have been an AMAZING concept video......the song has the feel of constant movement, so they should have shown the band traveling around and then ended it at the show........plus, the audio is from a good live version(s), but they should have went with the original studio track........still, not as annoying as the "outside sounds" in the ABOY video....

.....so yeah, another blown opportunity. SYCMIOYO is the only good one so far, and even that missed the mark for me.

This video was definitely a 10 I think! I read the reviews here before I saw and was prepared for a poor video, but this was great! It reminded me of my first Vertigo show on this tour.

U2Girl1978 said:
I thought this video was supposed to be shot at the Vancouver shoot? It looks like it was shot at some concert. I'm not terribly impressed with this video at all.

it was shot in vancouver. they brought in a few thousand? fans into the arena/elipse/GA Floor and played the song and a few others including the hokey pokey a bunch of times and shot the video. i think.

StlElevation said:

it was shot in vancouver. they brought in a few thousand? fans into the arena/elipse/GA Floor and played the song and a few others including the hokey pokey a bunch of times and shot the video. i think.

And they had cameras filming the actual Vancouver concerts, so maybe some of that footage was put in the video (I can't tell).

I prefer this live-ish track for the video rather than the album track.

Can't wait to see it!! :hyper:

I loved the ABOY video and the Brooklyn Bridge special. Will have to wait for VH1 or MTV also for this video since my computer:madspit: can't handle the download.
It's still a new video and I love to watch them on th tube when I can. :up:

pretty cool video!!!!! too many critics in this world. The glass is always half empty.:censored:

Back
Top Bottom