(05-26-2005) Woman Travels To U2 Concert To Find She's Been Scammed -- WGALChannel*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Lancaster Woman Travels To U2 Concert To Find She's Been Scammed

LANCASTER, Pa. -- New technology is making it easier to buy tickets for your favorite entertainment and sporting events, but that same technology is also making it easier for people to get scammed.

This past Sunday, more than 20,000 people got to see U2 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia.

Christa Yeager, of Lancaster, was supposed to be one of them.

"I've been a fan since I was in sixth grade," Yeager said.

Yeager started bidding in an online auction on the eBay Web site and eventually paid $180 for two tickets.

"I bought the tickets two weeks before the concert 'cause I couldn't get on the Web site the day they went on sale," Yeager said.

When the tickets arrived from the seller in Washington, D.C., they were two simple pieces of paper that looked like they had been photocopied. That made Yeager suspicious, but the paperwork did have the barcode that would be scanned to allow her in, and friends told her that they had used a similar type of paper ticket in the past.

So she went to the concert, but was not allowed in.

"I'm sorry, these have been used. Somebody's already sitting in those seats and my friend behind me had the same thing," Yeager said.

When Yeager went to the Wachovia Center box office she learned many other people had been scammed just like her.

Afterward, Yeager contacted the woman who sold her the tickets and got her money back.

"It was not the money that I lost, I was just really disappointed. It was a day-long event, a waste of gas money and energy," Yeager said.

Legitimate tickets can be purchased off the Ticketmaster Web site using a service called TicketFast. You pay for the ticket, Ticketmaster sends you an e-mail and you print out the ticket.

So what's to stop a scam artist from making multiple copies of this and selling it over and over?

The best way to protect yourself if you're buying a ticket online is to make sure you are buying it directly from the Ticketmaster Web site.

To view video of this report, click here.

--TheWGALChannel.com

"So what's to stop a scam artist from making multiple copies of this and selling it over and over?

The best way to protect yourself if you're buying a ticket online is to make sure you are buying it directly from the Ticketmaster Web site."

Oh, thanks WGAL Channel, that 's such helpful advice for when a show is sold out on Tickemaster in just 1 minute! :rolleyes: sheesh.

I would never use TicketFast for another reason. I like my ticket stubs-- and dont like the TicketFast "paper." Thus, I would never bid on a TicketFast peice of paper.

ramblingrob said:
I would never use TicketFast for another reason. I like my ticket stubs-- and dont like the TicketFast "paper." Thus, I would never bid on a TicketFast peice of paper.

I bought two tickets from Ticketfast not knowing exactly what it was. When I found out that I had to print them out, I emailed and said I wasn't comfortable with that, so they sent me 'real' tickets. Charged alittle extra, of course, but I feel better.

Nice to see light on this subject...

I'm glad this is finally getting some attention. I hope it really opens the floodgates and gets TicketMaster open thier eyes.

And eBay.

Ooh, I was about to bid in some tickets on eBay, I really want to go to another U2 concert... but I have learned from a previous experience when I bought a DVD and turnout to be a bootleg DVD :(

Online ticket sales

Online ticket sales is the worst thing to ever happen to rock concerts. I have had nothing but trouble and have never successfully been able to buy tickets online. The majority of online tickets are bought by scalpers and the true fans are always left out! I have attempted to buy tickets to U2 in Atlanta and Charlotte with no luck. Now will I have to pay a scalper over face value which is against the law? Or even worse be scammed like this poor lady! Please do away with online ticket sales all together and make the world a better place.

Love and peace or else

Ticketmaster has a monopoly on an imperfect system.

But the money is not the biggest loss, the crushed hopes of seeing U2 live is far more costly.

So what's the deal with TicketsNow. I bought two tickets to the Atlanta show on 11/19, and then saw this.

I was unhappy enough about paying three times face value for a couple G.A. tickets, and a little concerned when I got them and found they were printed. Should I be worried, or is TicketsNow (aside from being an online scalper site) relatively trustworthy?

Loar said:
So what's the deal with TicketsNow. I bought two tickets to the Atlanta show on 11/19, and then saw this.

I was unhappy enough about paying three times face value for a couple G.A. tickets, and a little concerned when I got them and found they were printed. Should I be worried, or is TicketsNow (aside from being an online scalper site) relatively trustworthy?

If they are a reputable company, they'll hear your concerns and try to help you out. Maybe you could see if they could wrangle up regular tickets instead.

I am glad that she got her money back as that usually never happens so that in itself was a blessing. Buying from ticketmaster is sometimes impossible when the show is sold out. I have tickets for MSG and I pray to god that they are legit tickets. But it is a person's worse nightmare. Always check the feedback rating before bidding and check the auctions that they sold or bought attached to the feedback. It may take an additional 15 minutes but better safe than sorry.

ramblingrob said:

I agree, I am a scrapbooker and would rather pick up my actual "hard" ticket.

U2FanPeter said:
I've wondered if ticketfast tickets were just a way from ticketmaster and promoters to mess up the broker/scalper market.

u2fp

No it's not. I still suspect that Ticketmaster and brokers work hand in hand. I think they just wanted to make things more convient for people.

Re: Online ticket sales

[email]wilsonm@aol.com[/email] said:
Online ticket sales is the worst thing to ever happen to rock concerts. I have had nothing but trouble and have never successfully been able to buy tickets online. The majority of online tickets are bought by scalpers and the true fans are always left out! I have attempted to buy tickets to U2 in Atlanta and Charlotte with no luck. Now will I have to pay a scalper over face value which is against the law? Or even worse be scammed like this poor lady! Please do away with online ticket sales all together and make the world a better place.

Love and peace or else

I sympathize and understand where you're comment is coming from but scalpers are always going to be in the picture and no matter what we or TM does, they will always be the root of the problem if not a part of it.

Back
Top Bottom