(05-26-2005) Bono to Condi -- All I Want is You to aid Third World - Boston Herald*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono to Condi -- All I Want is You to aid Third World

By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa

While the Hub breathlessly panted All I Want Is U(2), Bono and most of the boys blew off Boston yesterday for Canada - and Condoleezza!

The Irish band's activist frontman blew town after the first sold-out U2 show at the FleetCenter and landed in the nation's capital in the wee hours. Then at noon yesterday, he took a private lunch meeting with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in one of the State Department's diplomatic dining rooms.

Bono and Condi, who squeezed the rocker into her schedule between a closed meeting with former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and a sitdown with Indonesian prez Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, are old pals from her days as National Security Adviser.

They've chatted a few times about Africa, HIV/AIDS and help to foreign countries - all topics near and dear to Bono.

But apparently, the celeb activist Still Hasn't Found What (He's) Looking For, because he requested yet another meeting with Madame Secretary to plead his case!

As you can imagine, the shades-sporting rock star created quite a stir at the State Department, where starstruck staffers rushed to the Ben Franklin Room with their camera phones.

``She told Bono, `They don't usually do this for me,' '' said Rice's spokesguy, Noel Clay.

While Bono was busy on the Beltway lobbying the Bush administration to boost funding for anti-AIDS and antipoverty programs in Africa, blah, blah, blah, we hear bandmates Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. headed for the Canadian border after the Tuesday show.

And who could blame them? It was a Beautiful Day in Toronto yesterday - sunny and in the high 60s!

But back in Boston, The Edge didn't exactly have A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel. The wool-capped Dubliner took refuge from the rain at the Ritz-Carlton Boston Common.

All four rockers will be back at the FleetCenter tonight for their second sold-out show and are expected to stay put until after their Saturday night gig. Party, party, party...

To read the remainder of the article, please go here.

Back
Top Bottom