(05-25-2005) Bono and Condi Have Lunch - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono and Condi Have Lunch

Between gigs in Boston, Bono found time to use his precious day off to have lunch with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice at the State Department in Washington, D.C. this afternoon. Clad in a smart grey jacket, his famous purple shirt and equally smart grey slacks, Bono made quite a dashing lunch companion.

U2's next gig in Boston is tomorrow on the 26th, with their final North American first leg show to follow on the 28th. The boys head to Europe this summer and will swing back to North America in the fall.

To view photos from the photo op, go here.

Last edited:
"2 brilliant minds meet for lunch."

You mean one brilliant mind and one morally decrepit whore whose primary duty is to let Dick Cheney grope her.

No, just someone disheartened to see Bono schmoozing with a thoroughly disgusting human being who did nothing to prevent the Sept 11 attacks. If he thinks she gives a damn about anything he's got to say, he should be smarter than that. She's just using him as a PR stunt.

Does that sheep icon imply something about you?

"his famous purple shirt "

funny i thought he was well known for the shades more than anything. Well i suppose his dress sense is to be the stuff of legends now..........

I don't mind him meeting with Condi Rice. After all, he met Jesse Helms. Orrin Hatch and Bill Frist. Well, he first met Bill Frist before he became BILL FRIST, if you know what I mean. ( I notice he hasn't met with Frist lately.)

What I am confused about is, why the pics. He used to be so smart about photo ops with people. He never used to like them, period, b/c he was wary aobut his intentions being misconstrued. He only let his pic be taken with Bush if Bush pledged the Africa Fund. Now, he is letting his pic be taken with Condi without the Administration giving anythig in return? Or did Condi trap him with the cameras?

What I think happened is this: Since Bono is an outsider in this Adminstration (unlike Clinton, where he could justwalk in the door unnanounced) he first had to apply for a meeting. Therefore.,Condi knew ahead of time and of course let Bush know. Who alerted the media, and Bono was trapped.

Maybe Bono thinks he can work the Irish charm on any female he sees. Maybe he sees this as a way to get to him through her. This is twisted, we'll have to see where this leads....
Let;s not start hating Bono yet. The only thing is, Bush is not shy about using Bono;'s image as political capital. Tha;ts why I thouight he;d learn his lesson.

YOu surely don't think when he thanks the troops during the show he is saying that WITHOUT irony? Come on..in between BUllet the Blue Shy (with sound effects of jets played before the song, and I notice the purple "Vietnam flare" smoke from ZooTV is back) and Running to STand Still, a song aobut Drug addiction? It;s the only ironic moment in the show. Let those fans who have ears to hear, let them hear.

Last edited:
Look. meeting Condi Rice isn't any different then metting with Jesse Helms or Orrin Hatch. Do some research on those guys. And yes, I know aobut Condi Rice. Now, if he had met Donald Rumsfeld, that would be different. She's just the think tank of the bunch..but on general intellectual things. She didn't sign the Gunatanimo construction forms. They're just asd evil. The only thong I questioned was the meeting with Bush. But that wasn't a straight photo op. There was a price involved. And I know he's swung around since more to a dislking of Bsuh...he sang SBS at rhe Library dedication.

We'll have to wait and see on this one. The balancing act Bono is doing here is more delicate than the Gang of 14 in Congress, that compromised on filibusters. Bono has not committed heresy yet. But he is playing a delicate game, and I am keeping my eyes peeled. And like I said, this time, I think he had no choice about the pics.

Last edited:
is Bono faking those warm smiles too.. or does Condi have a way w world personalities and Bono isn't as judgemental as some here?:hmm:

db9

Teta040 said:
I don't mind him meeting with Condi Rice. After all, he met Jesse Helms. Orrin Hatch and Bill Frist. Well, he first met Bill Frist before he became BILL FRIST, if you know what I mean. ( I notice he hasn't met with Frist lately.)
What I am confused about is, why the pics. He used to be so smart about photo ops with people. He never used to like them, period, b/c he was wary aobut his intentions being misconstrued. He only let his pic be taken with Bush if Bush pledged the Africa Fund. Now, he is letting his pic be taken with Condi without the Administration giving anythig in return? Or did Condi trap him with the cameras?
What I think happened is this: Since Bono is an outsider in this Adminstration (unlike Clinton, where he could justwalk in the door unnanounced) he first had to apply for a meeting. Therefore.,Condi knew ahead of time and of course let Bush know. Who alerted the media, and Bono was trapped.

Actually, Bono was photographed with Jesse Helms before any word came about what the results of their meetings were. I know plenty of people were appalled by that. It was only later that we heard about the amazing fact that he had won Helms' support. Let's wait on this one before we start reacting so negatively. Bono's very savvy; give him credit for that. He can use them just as well as the other way around.

Bono has met with members of this administration many, many times, including Rice. They've even dined together privately. And he doesn't need to meet with Rice to "get to" Bush. They also have met a number of times. I wouldn't describe him as an outsider. I'm also sure he was never able to just walk in the door of the White House unannounced, no matter who the president.

Last edited:
biff said:

Amen to that! That's why he's managed to achieve as much as he has.

For sure. What ever Bono can do to get others thinking a little more like him is good. He meets with people all over the political spectrum. I don't like Condi either but I'm glad that he gets around. I'm glad that he doesn't give a shit about what people think about who he meets with. If you know anything about U2 and Bono is that they are trying to encourage the idea of getting people to COEXIST with each other. Bono makes that part really clear with his new headband.

hotpepper said:

If you know anything about U2 and Bono is that they are trying to encourage the idea of getting people to COEXIST with each other. Bono makes that part really clear with his new headband.

I was sharing w a non u2 fan today how it's not uncommon for a bible thumper and a Muslim to be standing side by side at a u2 show taking in the music.

db9

sthomas said:
No, just someone disheartened to see Bono schmoozing with a thoroughly disgusting human being who did nothing to prevent the Sept 11 attacks. If he thinks she gives a damn about anything he's got to say, he should be smarter than that. She's just using him as a PR stunt.

Does that sheep icon imply something about you?

Condi Rice is a wonderful human being who has a career of great service to the United States. I'm sick of this rubish that she new 9/11 was going to happen and did nothing to prevent it. That view is simply BS and on November 2, 2004, the American people agreed by re-electing Bush and his administration to another four years in office despite the best efforts of liberals such as Michael Moore, George Soros, and others.

Condi Rice is probably the most intelligent member of the US government(Democrat or Republican) that Bono has now met.

When you want to acomplish world wide goals you have to meet with the people that are at the top and in charge of the world. No matter if you like them or not, its not about Bono's like or dislike for individuals or goverments, its what he can get them to do for him and his cause's. Now it wouldn't make much sense to go meet with the Govenor of North Dakota even if they are a great person , now would it ?

Teta040 said:

Maybe Bono thinks he can work the Irish charm on any female he sees. Maybe he sees this as a way to get to him through her. This is twisted, we'll have to see where this leads....
Let;s not start hating Bono yet. The only thing is, Bush is not shy about using Bono;'s image as political capital. Tha;ts why I thouight he;d learn his lesson.

YOu surely don't think when he thanks the troops during the show he is saying that WITHOUT irony? Come on..in between BUllet the Blue Shy (with sound effects of jets played before the song, and I notice the purple "Vietnam flare" smoke from ZooTV is back) and Running to STand Still, a song aobut Drug addiction? It;s the only ironic moment in the show. Let those fans who have ears to hear, let them hear.

Bono understands and appreciates the great work that American troops are doing around the world, and 9/11 and Iraq are not the first time that Bono has expressed his support for US troops. Bono has advocated and supported the work that US troops have done in Bosnia and Kosovo for nearly a decade.

Bono is not some anti-bush zelot, a pacifist, or anything else that the far left would love to brand him as. He supported the Bush administrations military invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 and has continued to work with the administration on several other issues.

http://www.data.org/archives/000709.php

Bono's Reaction to Pres. Bush 2006 Budget Request

REACTION FROM BONO, U2 LEAD SINGER AND FOUNDER OF DATA:

"Good intention at the highest levels of the Bush Administration was not enough to deliver on the Millennium Challenge promise to the world’s poorest people in this year’s budget request. To make 2005 the year of a global breakthrough in the fight against poverty, we need the tens of millions of Americans who care -- who go to every church and rock concert -- to raise the volume before President Bush leaves for the G8's Africa summit in July."

REACTION BY JAMIE DRUMMOND, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF DATA:

“Not only has President Bush broken his word on funding for the Millennium Challenge, he has not put in the effort required to turn this excellent idea into a lifesaving reality for the world’s poorest people in the three years since it was announced. The pressure is now on for the President to demonstrate a serious commitment to helping the world’s poorest at the international Africa summit in July.”

Click here to download DATA's analysis of President Bush's 2006 budget request (PDF Format)

------------------------------------------------------

This is just to remind all of those who were wondering what Bono's latest public statement on the Bush administration's stance on funding Global AIDS and antipoverty programs is, the above info should help. (Let alone of what Bono has mentioned during various Vertigo concerts)

So, I would lay a wager on the fact that those smiles plastered on the B-man's face are constrained.

He's not a happy man with the lack of funding follow-through by the Bush administration regarding the above-mentioned programs, nor with the Bush administration's obstinency on debt cancellation which has so far prevnted the G8 with going through on plans for deeper debt cancellation for the world's poorest countries.

What people fail to realize is that Bono can be genuinely warm and kind to people individually (like Rice) but that does not mean he supports their political viewpoint.

If Bono had that much trust in the Bush Administration, WE WOULD NOT NEED THE ONE CAMPAIGN!

KEEP THE FAITH, BONO! KEEP UP! :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:
http://www.data.org/archives/000709.php

Bono's Reaction to Pres. Bush 2006 Budget Request

REACTION FROM BONO, U2 LEAD SINGER AND FOUNDER OF DATA:

"Good intention at the highest levels of the Bush Administration was not enough to deliver on the Millennium Challenge promise to the world’s poorest people in this year’s budget request. To make 2005 the year of a global breakthrough in the fight against poverty, we need the tens of millions of Americans who care -- who go to every church and rock concert -- to raise the volume before President Bush leaves for the G8's Africa summit in July."

REACTION BY JAMIE DRUMMOND, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF DATA:

“Not only has President Bush broken his word on funding for the Millennium Challenge, he has not put in the effort required to turn this excellent idea into a lifesaving reality for the world’s poorest people in the three years since it was announced. The pressure is now on for the President to demonstrate a serious commitment to helping the world’s poorest at the international Africa summit in July.”

Click here to download DATA's analysis of President Bush's 2006 budget request (PDF Format)

------------------------------------------------------

This is just to remind all of those who were wondering what Bono's latest public statement on the Bush administration's stance on funding Global AIDS and antipoverty programs is, the above info should help. (Let alone of what Bono has mentioned during various Vertigo concerts)

So, I would lay a wager on the fact that those smiles plastered on the B-man's face are constrained.

He's not a happy man with the lack of funding follow-through by the Bush administration regarding the above-mentioned programs, nor with the Bush administration's obstinency on debt cancellation which has so far prevnted the G8 with going through on plans for deeper debt cancellation for the world's poorest countries.

What people fail to realize is that Bono can be genuinely warm and kind to people individually (like Rice) but that does not mean he supports their political viewpoint.

If Bono had that much trust in the Bush Administration, WE WOULD NOT NEED THE ONE CAMPAIGN!

KEEP THE FAITH, BONO! KEEP UP! :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Bono may not have received what he wanted from the Bush administration, but that does not mean he thinks Bush is Hitler, the Devil, or anything liberals love to paint Bush as.

Why can't liberals realize that 1.) Bono may not actually agree with everything they believe in. 2.) Bono probably does not share the absurd hostility that so many liberals have towards the Bush administration.

Some liberals have already had their bubbles burst by the fact that Bono is not a pacifist and has supported various US military interventions. I suspect if one could know precisely all of Bono's political views there would be some more surprises for the far left.

Who said anything about Hitler and why are you trying to put words into people's mouths?

Please read the new book on Bono by Bono before offering us any more blanket statements with nothing to back up your position.

Some people can't take the truth - even when Bono speaks it himself!:ohmy:

Jamila said:
Who said anything about Hitler and why are you trying to put words into people's mouths?

Please read the new book on Bono by Bono before offering us any more blanket statements with nothing to back up your position.

Some people can't take the truth - even when Bono speaks it himself!:ohmy:

I did not put any words into any specific persons mouth nor are the statements I made inaccurate.

Check at the year end 2001 HOT PRESS article to see where Bono states that he is NOT a pacifist and supports the US military invasion of Afghanistan. Check out Bill Flanagans book "Until The End of The World" for another case where Bono not only supports but advocates US military action.

Bono already disagree's with several positions that many people on the left have. It would not be surprising if there are actually more issues that he does not agree with them on. This does not mean he is a conservative or right of center person, it just means that many liberals cannot automatically presume that Bono agrees with all their political views and is militantly anti-Bush or anti-Republican.

Your correct about one thing, some people have difficulty accepting the truth about what Bono believes, and these people tend to be liberals who PRESUME that BONO has precisely all the same beliefs and political idea's as they do.

STING2 said:

and these people tend to be liberals who PRESUME that BONO has precisely all the same beliefs and political idea's as they do.

STING2,
If you really think this then YOU have presumed wrong.
You may not be putting words in peoples mouth but you are painting with a broad stroke and you are way off base.
You can toss around the word liberal like a curse word all you want but this country was founded on liberal ideas.
*sigh* never mind this is a FYM subject anyway..

Peace

"Liberal" seems to be the filthiest word on the (U.S.) planet these days. Why is that? When did it become so derogatory? (Mostly a rhetorical question.) Too much black and white, not enough gray.

And speaking of gray, let's get back to the original subject: I think that gray suit looks great with that purple shirt!:D

Back
Top Bottom