(05-24-2006) Mary J and Elliot Do 'One' on 'Idol' -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Mary J and Elliot Do "One" on "Idol"

For those of you on the West Coast who haven't seen or heard yet, Mary J. Blige joined "American Idol" castoff Elliot Yamin for a rendition of "One." According to MTV.com, this was just one of several duets this evening:

Wednesday night's all-star finale began with a performance from last season's winner, Carrie Underwood, who was on hand for the passing of the guard. She was joined onstage by both [Taylor] Hicks and [Katherine] McPhee. Finalist Paris Bennett performed "We're in This Love Together" with music icon Al Jarreau, while Chris Daughtry took the stage with his favorite performers, the rock band Live. The episode also featured duets between McPhee and Meat Loaf ("It's All Coming Back to Me Now"), Elliot Yamin and Mary J. Blige (U2's "One"), Hicks and Toni Braxton ("In the Ghetto"), Clay Aiken and rejected "Idol" aspirant Michael Sandecki ("Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me"). There were also appearances by Prince, Dionne Warwick and medleys of various tunes performed by the male and female finalists.

Hicks and McPhee teamed up for a closing duet of "(I've Had) The Time of My Life," originally performed by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes for the soundtrack to the 1987 film "Dirty Dancing."

I just cringed when I saw that(wanted to go into the fetal position and cry) .. she did her overpowering diva version.. I never thought (or I hoped the day would never come) I would see a U2 song on that show and now they just ruined it.. I really wish U2 didn't allow her to rerelease that song. It is going to get overplayed and on every other commercial on TV and networks too..:huh: :| :mad:

It was pretty sad for the reason that all of the idols teamed up with their favorite singer/band to sing. When MJB came out after Elliot introduced her, that was the end of Elliot. She had so much power and energy he didn't even bother to sing. She took the stage.

I'm not a fan of idol but I had heard Elliot was going to do U2. The guy kicked ass with One (for the first 3 or 4 lines until MJB came out). If anyone knows where I can find a copy that he sings completely, please let me know.

MJB ruined it. She over sang the song. And if you watched Lost, they had a montage of their shows with that version of One and MJB singing it. :mad:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
I never thought (or I hoped the day would never come) I would see a U2 song on that show and now they just ruined it..

U2 songs are frequently used on Idol-type shows worldwide. E.g. in Europe, BD, WOWY, and others have been used by contestants. I think some are even up on youtube.

ntalwar said:

U2 songs are frequently used on Idol-type shows worldwide. E.g. in Europe, BD, WOWY, and others have been used by contestants. I think some are even up on youtube.

Yeah, when they had the World Idol competition a few years ago, the winner had sung a U2 song (I don't remember which one, though).

I haven't heard the song, nor do I really want to. I hate American Idol.

However, it's neat to learn that U2 songs are being performed — it shows the power of their music and helps the songs reach a new level of popularity.

yeah seriously,u2 should sue all these bastards stealing
their music. It seriously isn't right. At first i thought
MJB singing one was not so bad but now I can't stand
it!

What makes me mad about all this, is that there making it look like MJB came up with the song and only showing her, when we all know U2 created this beautiful song. She is overplaying it.

I can't stand American Idol, they shouldn't be allowed to sing U2 songs on there at all. I guess MJB singing it on there means it WILL be her next single, oh dear God please help us. I have no desire to hear her awful version again. I was also watching Lost and saw the ABC montage of U2/MJB version of One... Bono sings first, then MJB takes over and BLAHHH... at least we know that is U2's music behind her, whereas on Idol there is some house band or whatever. YUCK.
I agree that some idiots out there are going to think MJB wrote this song! You just know it.

I'm assuming that U2 gave its permission for the song to be used on Idol. What's more, MJB is really trying hard to reach a crossover audience. She appeared on Dancing With the Stars last season.

But somebody, please, somebody teach her to sing on key. It's really hard to listen to.

Mary J. Blige performance on American Idol was AMAZING, fuck ALL the negative comments, she is the QUEEN of R&B and she sings better than ANY U2 member and thats a FACT! You have to be white to say Mary cant sing or her voice is not made for that song, she made this song better than the original, the original was bland and boring as usual with U2. She is going to have people enjjoy this song and touch millions of people all over the world with her emotion and conviction she pours into this song, if you dont like Mary singing "One", deal with it, it's OFFICIALLY her song now and Bono is wack and CANNOT sing and is the worse of them all.

Justin24 said:
MJB ruined it. She over sang the song. And if you watched Lost, they had a montage of their shows with that version of One and MJB singing it. :mad:

STFU hating stupid bitch, she sang the song the way it's suppose to be sung and definitely better than Bono weak voice ass.

silvrlvr said:
I'm assuming that U2 gave its permission for the song to be used on Idol. What's more, MJB is really trying hard to reach a crossover audience. She appeared on Dancing With the Stars last season.

But somebody, please, somebody teach her to sing on key. It's really hard to listen to.

She has ALREADY been crossover before she evn linked up with dumb U2, most people dont even care or even listen to U2 to know it is their song, but Mary is going to let people know who OWNS the song and delivers it like NO other, period!

silvrlvr said:

Off key? Bitch Mary is a soul singer, meaning soul singers are not about perfect notes and singing on key, it's called not holding back and letting the emotion out, ONLY BLACK people can relate to the way she sings, so stick to Bono mediocre weak vocals for you rednecks that cannot understand the soul of a BLACK woman.

Last edited:
Mary J. Blige version of "One" is a billion times better than the bland original and thats a FACT! Plus it will be a BIGGER hit on the charts and the world will cry when they hear the way Mary is singing those lyrics, something Bono old weak voice ass could NEVER do in a million years.

TruthIs

It's obvious you are a Mary J fan, and not a U2 fan.

We dont allow this type of behavior here on our forums. Period.

Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom