(05-08-2005) Geldof plans new Live Aid gig - uTV*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Geldof plans new Live Aid gig

Sir Bob Geldof is planning to stage a new Live Aid concert as Britain hosts the G8 summit of world leaders in July, it was confirmed today.

The event - to be called Live 8 - is expected to take place over two days in London`s Hyde Park and will focus attention on poverty and disease in Africa.

Chart-topping bands U2 and Coldplay are tipped to take part alongside Madonna, Robbie Williams and a host of other big name stars.

The gig would come on the 20th anniversary of the first Live Aid at Wembley and follows the success of the Band Aid II single, which took the Christmas No 1 spot and raised £15 million for aid charities in Africa.

A spokeswoman for Sir Bob said: "The Live Aid Trust has been discussing the plans to hold an event around the time of the G8 summit, though no firm dates are yet in place."

It is thought the gigs will be held on July 2 and 3, the weekend prior to the three-day summit of leading industrialised nations at the Gleneagles Hotel, in Perthshire, Scotland, from July 6.

Unlike the original Live Aid - which saw Sir Paul McCartney, Queen, David Bowie and leading names of the era perform on July 13, 1985, it is understood the new event is not intended to attract donations from the public.

The concert, expected to be free if sponsorship can be raised, will be held solely to urge world leaders to take action at the summit to halt deaths in Africa from Aids and tuberculosis.

Plans for the gig have forced London radio station Capital FM to scrap plans for the annual Party in the Park, held in Hyde Park in support of The Princes Trust.

Capital FM managing director Keith Pringle said the broadcaster will instead support Live 8 by providing a number of services for free in the interest of "the greater good".

Martina Milburn, chief executive of The Princes Trust said: "Capital and The Prince`s Trust are delighted to support Live 8 and we look forward to Party in the Park next year."

Copyright © 2005 UTV Internet and the UTV plc Group. All rights reserved.
http://www.utvlive.com/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=8383&pt=e

Thanks to Kip!

Read this on coldplaying.com:

Singer and campaigner Bob Geldof has denied reports he plans to stage a Live Aid gig to coincide with the UK hosting July's G8 summit of world leaders.

Geldof, who was at the Rose d'Or TV festival in Switzerland, said: "It is kite flying, that's all it is. It is just talk.

"Why would I possibly repeat something I did 20 years ago?" he told TV Plus.

His spokeswoman confirmed discussions are taking place about holding shows to raise awareness about Africa. The gigs would coincide with the 20th anniversary of the original 1985 Live Aid concert at Wembley.

Geldof's spokeswoman confirmed that the Live Aid Trust had been "discussing the plans to hold an event around the time of the G8 summit". She said plans could be finalised when members of the Live Aid Trust, including original organiser and musician Midge Ure and music promoter Harvey Goldsmith, meet later this week.

She added it was not yet known if they would be joined at the talks by Geldof. "I would expect we will know something definite this week, after the trustees have met," she said. "If the Princes Trust have already indicated that they are prepared to step aside, then it would appear people are keen to see this happen."

London radio station Capital FM has said any clash between its annual Party in the Park and Geldof's concerts would prompt them to scrap their plans for this year. Party in the Park is usually held in Hyde Park in support of The Princes Trust.

Martina Milburn, chief executive of The Princes Trust added Capital and The Prince's Trust were "delighted to support " any concerts organised by Geldof. Prime Minister Tony Blair will be joined by the leaders of the other G8 nations for the summit which is due to take place at the Perthshire resort of Gleneagles in the first week of July.

Geldof was the driving force behind last year's Band Aid 20 single, a reworking of the 1984 fundraising hit record, both of which were organised by Geldof. Band Aid II topped the charts last Christmas and raised £15m for charities in Africa.

i also read reports on BBC online and The Herald (big Scottish newspaper) saying that Geldof denied there are plans. Howver it did mention the name (Live 8) and that other concerts would be stepping aside to let it happen...

Perhaps Geldof meant not to expect anything on the same scale as Live Aid?

I think a free concert is a bad idea. Rock concerts don't have a good track record of effecting major policy change. If they charge admission, then at least they'll have some proceeds to donate, even if the politicians don't respond as hoped.

if the rumours are correct and it'll be held on the 2-3 July, then there's a bit of a clash of interest - U2 are scheduled to play in Vienna on the second.
i suppose their next concert is only on the 5th in Krakowice so they could in theory head to the UK for a Sunday set on the 3rd but i dunno?

I would love to see another Live 8 concert but i think they need to create some sort of money making out of it (ticket costs for example) or a donation scheme like the original Live Aid.

But on a more selfish note i just hope its not that weekend as I'm not here - with U2 and Coldplay rumoured, if it does go ahead i'll be absolutely gutted if i can't be there!!!

It would be pretty stupid to have it on 2nd July. Would direct the attention from the protests in Scotland for some poxy popstars aka Rachel Stevens and Jamelia.

Back
Top Bottom