(05-08-2005) First Night, Chicago - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
First Night, Chicago

Set List from last night's opening show in Chicago.

Love and Peace
Vertigo
Elevation
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
City of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running to Standstill
Bad
Pride In The Name of Love
Where the Streets Have No Name
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways

All Because of You
Yahweh
'40'

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1532

I was really hoping for a bigger change in the set, after a week break, but I guess the setlist is great anyway...

The reality is that Hamish is filming this week's Chicago shows. After doing some "ghost" filming of the Vancouver shows, expect Hamish to know where he wants his cameras placed for most of the songs. A setlist suprise full of new songs is not a wise move to be filming for a DVD release. The band and Hamish know what they want to do for this DVD by now. Playing unheard songs on the Vertigo Tour is not one of them.

Probably my least favorite setlist so far, although I suppose you can't really tell without hearing it.

Just looking at the order tho - I still think LAPOE is a crappy opener...
Where is Electric Co!? That had better end up on the DVD *shakes fist*
I was always wondering if they would do Miracle Drug/Beautiful Day back to back...and hoping that they wouldn't, cos to me the songs sound the same and it would get boring.
I wish they'd flip "Pride" and "Streets" so that Bad could segue into Streets, that works better than the way they've been doing it.
Nice to see Yaweh return, though.

If that's the setlist that's going to end up on the dvd that's great cause I love it but there's only one big problem.... where is The Electric Co.? I hope they film it in the next show.

I was there for opening night in Chicago (my first U2 show!!), and that setlist worked beautifully for me!

I had that nosebleed seat I bought in the presale, and I mentioned it to a couple of nice women while en route to the arena and when we spoke afterwards about seats and I asked where they were, they said they were in 201 and right by the cameraman so they knew which songs were coming up next. I was so just post-concert high that I didn't really process that comment...

and now having actually seen it performed confirms that I like Love and Peace as an opener as it's staged. I don't know what they change about City of Blinding Lights when they use it to open, if anything, but I think I like those 2 where they were in the list for 05/07. And Beautiful Day Miracle Drug placement worked really well I thought! It's a good mood and theme pairing and soundwise it didn't feel too similar. It's broken up a bit by Bono's intro to MD, and the staging effects flow from one to next nicely. I think it would work well videowise!

cheers all!

Last edited:
I read a post in my U2 yahoo group...someone said Bono had an Ashlee Simpson moment...vocals, but no mouth action. Anyone catch this??

Back
Top Bottom