(05-03-2005) AJ Rankin, 'Bono Offstage Assistant' -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
AJ Rankin, 'Bono Offstage Assistant'

U2.com has added a new crew member profile to its Tour section. This time the spotlight is on AJ Rankin, carpenter and "Bono offstage assistant."

You must be registered with U2.com to read the complete article here but a snippet is available below.

How I Ended up Working With Them
I’d always been hassling Bono that I wanted to go out on the road. He’s my cousin and, let’s face it, family works! I was a fitness instructor at the time and eventually he said, ‘You’re fit, come on out!’

But I had to be interviewed by Tim Buckley (Stage Manager at the time) which, if you’ve ever met him, you realise is a hilarious idea. I got a haircut and wore a suit and he said, ‘We don’t really want you out here, but you have a six week trial period. If it works you’re in.’ That was in November 1986, just before The Joshua Tree and here I am nearly two decades later. We did The Old Grey Whistle Test (legendary British TV rock show) and that was my first proper gig with them: Sinead O’Connor was on the bill, it was up in Belfast. I always remember those beautiful eyes of hers and this wild Mohican she had. Stunning!

The link is too old at this point - or did not transfer.... If you still have it... I love to read up. (peddieart@yahoo.com)

Back
Top Bottom