(04-29-2004) Bono Makes Appearance at GMAs -- The Tennessean *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Makes Appearance at GMAs

At Christian music's biggest annual event, the perennials finally ceded some space.

Annual favorites Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Nichole Nordeman and Third Day did not take home awards in major categories such as best artist, male and female vocalist and best group. In their places were represen- tatives from a new wave: MercyMe, Switchfoot, Jeremy Camp, Stacie Orrico and Mark Hall won trophies at last night's GMA Music Awards at Municipal Auditorium.

The annual Dove Awards are now the annual GMA Music Awards (though the actual prizes are still called ''Doves''). A potential conflict with NHL playoff hockey necessitated a shift from the Gaylord Entertainment Center. Ex-professional football and baseball player Deion Sanders was co-host for the first time, with gospel star Yolanda Adams. And in another first, the show will be broadcast May 28 on the frequently irreverent UPN network.

With mainstream audiences set to watch on UPN, the show included appearances by some artists not normally associated with the Christian industry. Country star Vince Gill stood with wife (and Christian music veteran) Amy Grant and introduced U2 lead singer Bono, who in turn introduced Christian crossover rock band Jars of Clay. Bono spoke of Jars' efforts to alleviate HIV/AIDS in Third World countries.

--The Tennessean

At the very bottom of the article i had to remove 2 links one to jars or clay's BLOOD WATER MISSION site and a link to Bono's DATA

i have to post like 15 times b4 i'm allowed to post a link.

enjoy
Leah

Jay Swartzendruber
CCM Magazine Managing Editor
Thursday, April 29, 2004

The Doves: Backstage At GMA's 35th Annual Music Awards

After ten years of attending the Dove Awards as a record label guy, last night I was an editorial rookie in the overcrowded and acoustically challenged press room. Less than ideal sonics and potential claustrophobia aside, most of us seemed to enjoy ourselves during our time in the media pit, thanks to the spirit and wit of the artists who popped in throughout the evening.
The night's first big surprise? "And the Dove Award for Songwriter of the Year goes to... Mark Hall of Casting Crowns." Come again? You read right. It's one of those results that left most of us stunned and, well, quite happy. A few moments after accepting the award from presenter Charlie Peacock, Hall joined us backstage to field questions. He was extremely gracious and grateful. After he responded to a few inquiries, I stepped in as the seasoned pro and said, "Dude... Songwriter of the Year! You've gone from being a new artist to, just like that (snap of fingers), being in a league with Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W. Smith." I then asked, "What's THAT about?!?" (Yeah, did I mention that I'm a rookie?) Hall just laughed and explained he was ready for someone to come up to him, explain that they'd made a mistake, and take his Dove Award back.

In an entertaining moment, Avalon delivered the night's first wisecrack. As the vocal quartet took questions from the floor it was more than evident that the graceful Janna Long was "with child." After they were done with their Q&A and were walking off the stage, Avalon's Greg Long (Janna's husband) looked at us and stated that he and Janna had been spending some time together. (Brief pause) "And you can see the result." Nice.

Surreal random moment: At one point inbetween artists' Q&As with the press, I glanced up at the screen during the pretelecast and caught Rebecca St. James, Natalie Grant and Mark Schultz in unison singing acapella: "We were meant to live for so much more..." (Yes, as in Switchfoot!)

Later, as R&B legend and Dove performer Smokey Robinson joined us, he explained that he's long been a believer and is taking the opportunity with his new album, FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT, to let the world know it.

Country music superstar and devout man of faith, Randy Travis, told us it wasn't long before he knew things were different after he signed with a Christian label (Word Records). "...as soon as we prayed at one of the label's marketing meetings. That was something I hadn't seen before."

On another note, did you know that T-Bone can skat rap in English, Spanish and Chinese? Um... trust me.

Actor Stephen Baldwin (THE USUAL SUSPECTS, television's "The Young Riders") joined us for a few moments and told us a bit about his LIVING IT DVD (featuring skaters and BMXers). Baldwin became a Christian a couple years ago through the ministry of evangelist Luis Palau. As he concluded his time with us, he stated that he really senses God's pursuit of his brothers as well.

Backstage vocal highlight of the night: Michelle Williams (of Destiny's Child) singing a verse of "Blessed Assurance" for us in the press room.

After winning the Dove Award in the Praise and Worship Album category, Third Day's Tai Anderson modeled compelling humility when told us that he "wouldn't know what I would've done if we'd won" in the categories that were instead taken by MercyMe and Switchfoot. He explained that he felt those bands were more deserving since Third Day had been "safe" in making their second worship album, OFFERINGS II--ALL I HAVE TO GIVE. Anderson opined that MercyMe and Switchfoot, on the other hand, had been bold in the way they approached their recent albums and how they took their faith-based music into the world. (On a side-note, I'd just like to say that over the past several days I've come to have an even deeper appreciation for Third Day, both musically and as individuals, having seen their new live set and having spent a little time with them.)

The delightful Rebecca St. James, who hosted the interview portion of the Dove Awards which was broadcast live to Regal Cinema audiences in numerous major cities, told us her "favorite interviews" she did were with Smokey Robinson and tobyMac. Rebecca also mentioned she was interested in auditioning for the upcoming motion picture, ESTHER. (Looks like her role in "!Hero" may have stirred some new creative juices.)

Remember how Tooth & Nail Records hadn't won even one Dove Award in the company's ten year history? Well, that was before Jeremy Camp took home last night's New Artist of the Year and Male Vocalist of the Year birds. And this brings me to a confession I have to make. When Jeremy was "announced" as he entered the media pit, I did something that is definitely NOT in the Professional Journalism 101 handbook. I (along with a few of my colleagues) gave Jeremy Camp a standing ovation. I'm confessing, but I'm not apologetic. During his Q&A Jeremy gave us a piece of interesting news. He's "just been ordained as a pastor." Look for this heart for particular ministry to complement his approach as a recording artist.

MercyMe, who's on CCM's May cover, took home some fine feathered friends, including the big one, Artist of the Year, and Group of the Year. As they joined us backstage, I was struck by how continually humble and kind-spirited these gentlemen continue to be in the midst of significant fame. Bart spoke eloquently about the preconceived notions that many of us in Christian music have about gatekeepers in the mainstream. He's established friendships with many of them and has found them to be very respectful of his band and, importantly, his faith.

Jars of Clay joined us backstage after having received a pretty major plug in a special message that U2's Bono videotaped for the Dove Awards broadcast. During Bono's segment, the Irishman expressed gratitude to the Christian music community and the church at large for being a pivotal leader in the ongoing response to Africa's HIV/AIDS and poverty crisis. He specifically thanked Michael W. Smith for calling his friend President Bush on Africa's behalf, and then also thanked tobyMac, Margaret Becker and CCM Magazine's own Charlie Peacock for their leadership in our community. Bono concluded by introducing Jars of Clay's Dove show performance, saying, "As a fan, I don't think anyone has had a bigger voice than the activists in Jars of Clay. I've had their version of the song, 'Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet' in my car for a year now, and you know what? It never has failed me yet. God Bless You." To hear the rest of what Bono had to say check out the awards show broadcast on UPN on May 28 at 8 PM (ET/PT). Meanwhile, pay a visit to Jars of Clay's bloodwatermission and Bono's DATA To put it simply, do something now.

Peace and grace,

Back
Top Bottom