(04-27-2006) Edge in New Orleans -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Edge in New Orleans

Yahoo! has photos of Edge playing with the band The Bingo Show at the reopening of New Orleans's Preservation Hall today. Edge used his limited-edition Music Rising Gibson to the event and wore his Music Rising shirt.

View the photos here, here and here.

The girls in PLEBA have also found a bunch of pictures from the show and related Music Rising events that can be found here.

Last edited:
godamnit! no one on here knew about this?! I live an hour and a half away from nola. It wouldve been a dream come true to see him in person. fuckin interference!!!

t8thgr8 said:
godamnit! no one on here knew about this?! I live an hour and a half away from nola. It wouldve been a dream come true to see him in person. fuckin interference!!!
I saw this coming from a mile away! I just wasn't sure if it would be this weekend or next weekend. He may just stick around for the whole jazz fest!

Good. I'm glad he made it. And just think how wonderful this would have been had it been his first outing since the tour was "postponed" instead of going to Hillary's fundraiser. For instance, Harry Connick Jr. got 15 minutes on the Today show this a.m., not even from Nola, but from Rockefeller Center talking about Nola. Too bad GMA couldn't have had their own live spot with The Edge and Bingo from the reopened Preservation Hall!

Now I hope there are LOTS of Edge sightings in Nola this weekend -- like with Allen Toussaint and Elvis Costello, like with Bruce on Sunday, maybe with Fats and some of the other folks next weekend.

:hug: I´m so proud of Edge´s attitudes, I´m so happy cause Edge performed wearing his wonder Music Rising shirt and guitar. I just knew he was there...I had a feeling he could be in New Orleans to support, with his best, his charity foundation. Everyday I post in my blog the things from New Orleans.
UP UP UP EDGE!

http://www.reginaonumb.blogger.com.br

Mullen-Girl said:
anyone know if Dallas was with him??

Dallas :love:

I didn't even realize it was already time for Jazz Fest. I'm guessing if Edge were to make a guest appearance, it would be during Springsteen or Elvis Costello's sets. Even if he doesn't, though, it's great to see him down there celebrating the fact that music is working its way back into New Orleans life.

silvrlvr said:
And just think how wonderful this would have been had it been his first outing since the tour was "postponed" instead of going to Hillary's fundraiser.

I'm not hillary's biggest fan either, but considering the alternatives ( a Dubya successor??) , I don't see why everyone is so pissed.

Not because of the politics at all -- he could have gone to a George W. fundraiser and I'd feel the same way. Two main points here.

a.) Everyone sent out all kinds of good wishes and prayers and for the most part has been exceedingly patient about waiting to find out when the tour dates would be rescheduled, something that still isn't official.

b) A number of people believe sincerely in Music Rising, have given money, bought t-shirts, some even bought guitars. I am thrilled by Edge's involvement in it, and so glad that my friends in New Orleans have been helped by this wonderful cause, which I will keep supporting.

But to make your first outing where folks could see you (I'm sure he's been out and about and just remained under the radar) to a political fundraiser, before the band says anything about the tour, before the Jazz Fest where he would be welcomed like a KING because of all his good works, just strikes me as inappropriate.

I'm probably overreacting because of all the uncertainty of the past few months so I don't want anyone to take this as being "pissed." More disappointed, that's all.

By the way, don't blame Interference -- there was only the faintest thread on the Music Rising site that he was going to be at Preservation Hall. And you'd think that's where the info would have been if anywhere.

Sounds like it was a party sponsored by Gibson... read all the way to the bottom.

New Orleans Preservation Hall reopens on wary note
Fri 28 Apr 2006 1:53 PM ET

By Russell McCulley

NEW ORLEANS, April 28 (Reuters) - The Preservation Hall jazz shrine reopens this weekend for the first time since Hurricane Katrina, and for a stellar group of musicians it is more than a New Orleans homecoming.

"That's my purpose in life -- to keep this music alive," Preservation Hall Jazz Band trombonist Lucien Barbarin said.

With a lineage that includes legendary New Orleans drummer Paul Barbarin, a great uncle, and composer and guitarist Danny Barker, a second cousin, it is no surprise Barbarin, 49, is a man on a mission.

But it will take more than one man's ambition to keep the nightclub and jazz alive in a city still struggling to recover from America's costliest natural disaster.

The Aug. 29 hurricane destroyed the homes and instruments of hundreds of musicians and closed the venues where they played, shutting down the music scene at least temporarily.

Preservation Hall, the tiny 45-year-old French Quarter club nearly synonymous with the city, is home base for Barbarin and his band. The members were scattered across several states after the storm.

The venue's owners are unsure whether it can make enough money to stay open, even as large crowds are expected for the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, which started Friday.

"There still is uncertainty," said Ben Jaffe, whose parents founded Preservation Hall. The club has received enough private donations to keep operating for a few months, he said. But the outlook for autumn, the end of the New Orleans tourist season, is less certain.

"We feel we will make it through the summer," Jaffe said. "Then we'll see what happens.

"It's exactly like it was when my parents opened the place in 1961. We have absolutely no idea what our future is here in New Orleans."

That uncertainty permeates much of the city's music scene. Clubs are open in repopulated parts of town, and musicians are finding work. But many still live outside the city, and the tourist trade that kept many local musicians employed is in a major post-Katrina slump.

Moreover, many artists are finding more lucrative work in cities like Houston and Atlanta, where thousands of displaced New Orleanians evacuated.

"A lot of people are not even coming back," said Preservation Hall Jazz Band guitarist and banjo player Carl LeBlanc, who now lives in Houston. "A lot of New Orleans musicians, the ones who need this place's soul, they're coming back just to refuel every once in a while."

LeBlanc and many others are struggling with insurance companies and uncertainties over rebuilding devastated neighborhoods. "They're giving us so much trouble trying to get back," he said.

Still, the mood at the hall's reopening party on Thursday night was celebratory. The club received a donation of instruments from guitar maker Gibson USA, which flew in U2 guitarist The Edge for the occasion.

He joined several New Orleans musicians for a version of U2's "Vertigo." Later, the house band and several dozen party-goers paraded through the French Quarter to Bourbon Street, then circled back to end with a lively rendition of the Professor Longhair standard "Mardi Gras in New Orleans."

Edge joined musicians from New Orleans to play a version of 'U2´s 'Vertigo' - New Orleans Preservation Hall reopens on wary note

Still, the mood at the hall's reopening party on Thursday night was celebratory. The club received a donation of instruments from guitar maker Gibson USA, which flew in U2 guitarist The Edge for the occasion.

He joined several New Orleans musicians for a version of U2's "Vertigo." Later, the house band and several dozen party-goers paraded through the French Quarter to Bourbon Street, then circled back to end with a lively rendition of the Professor Longhair standard "Mardi Gras in New Orleans."

read on:

http://au.launch.yahoo.com/060428/11/ookw.html

so sorry, I didn´t read the previous replay

Last edited:
*sigh*..
What can I say but....:drool: :drool: :drool: ??

So great that he doesn't mind playing with the local club band. they must have been absolutely gaga:).

silvrlvr said:
I'm probably overreacting because of all the uncertainty of the past few months so I don't want anyone to take this as being "pissed." More disappointed, that's all.

How about giving the man a break? Edge has probably been though a lot of hell in the past year and still managed to complete most of a grueling world tour. I’ve had to reschedule my entire vacation for the Hawaii show and his going out doesn’t bother me in the least. The fundraiser was in LA - and since he lives in LA it was probably nothing more than taking a break and going out for the night . It really isn’t a secret the he supports the democratic party

Perhaps I’d be “disappointed” if he turned up on the cover of a gossip magazine holding a bottle of Jack at a strip club while doing some illegal drugs wearing a shirt with the phrase “u2 fans suck”

nurse chrissi said:

How about giving the man a break? Edge has probably been though a lot of hell in the past year and still managed to complete most of a grueling world tour. I’ve had to reschedule my entire vacation for the Hawaii show and his going out doesn’t bother me in the least. The fundraiser was in LA - and since he lives in LA it was probably nothing more than taking a break and going out for the night . It really isn’t a secret the he supports the democratic party

Perhaps I’d be “disappointed” if he turned up on the cover of a gossip magazine holding a bottle of Jack at a strip club while doing some illegal drugs wearing a shirt with the phrase “u2 fans suck”

Thank you. :hug:

nurse chrissi said:

amen sister :up:

silvrlvr said:
But to make your first outing where folks could see you (I'm sure he's been out and about and just remained under the radar) to a political fundraiser...

The Edge has always shown himself to be very self-effacing and modest about his place in the spotlight. This kind of calculated thinking doesn't seem Edge-like to me.

As I commented in the earlier fundraiser thread, Edge has been very interested in US politics for a long time. He has every right to choose what events he attends without having to consider how it might look to the "fans." I love the fact that he is concerned about politics in my country and that the situation with his family is allowing him to attend both events -- no matter in which order they occurred.

I was at Preservation Hall last night for the early show. Left at about 10:15. I suppose I should shoot myself now for missing Edge, but easy come, easy go. There was really no way I could know he was going to show after midnight. Hopefully he'll show up at the Bruce show tomorrow.

SoCalMusicLover said:
I was at Preservation Hall last night for the early show. Left at about 10:15. I suppose I should shoot myself now for missing Edge, but easy come, easy go. There was really no way I could know he was going to show after midnight. Hopefully he'll show up at the Bruce show tomorrow.

The Edge played Thursday evening - it sounds like you were there Friday night. Thursday's show, based on photos, seemed to be a media-type event.

Irish musician The Edge (L) of U2 raises his arms with Quint Davis (R), producer and director of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, during a performance at the festival in New Orleans April 29, 2006. REUTERS/Lee Celano

r1341807978.jpg

Irish musician The Edge (R) of U2 sings with Glenn David Andrews of the New Birth Brass Band at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in New Orleans April 29, 2006. REUTERS/Lee Celano
Reuters - 49 minutes ago

r2011991830.jpg

lots more at this website:
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?ei=UTF-8&timeago=&vo=U2&fr=my-newsclip&c=news_photos

Back
Top Bottom