(04-24-2006) Clinton Gala Raises $1 Million -- LA Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Clinton Gala Raises $1 Million

Nearly $1 million was raised for Hillary Rodham Clinton's U.S. Senate reelection campaign Friday evening at a celebrity-studded event held at supermarket magnate Ron Burkle's Beverly Hills estate, an organizer said Sunday.

Nearly 450 guests turned out to support Clinton, who was accompanied by her husband, former President Clinton. The New York Democrat's campaign fund-raiser was one of her largest since she took office. Guests included Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony, Billy Crystal, Rob Reiner and the Edge from U2.

It was the third major fund-raising trip Clinton has made to L.A. in the past 12 months. Although her Hollywood support appears to be softening, she maintains a powerful group of loyalists here. In addition to Burkle, other billionaire supporters include Haim Saban and Steve Bing, both of whom were co-sponsors of the weekend gala.

— Tina Daunt

--Los Angeles Times

Edge lives in LA, not surprising to see him out and about. It WAS surprising to hear about him attending a political fund raising event tho :hmm:

Last edited:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
No Edge...step away from the politicians, please!!

We can only afford one band member...well maybe that is the point...only one U2 member per political gala...

Hillary, tho???? WHAT?!?!?

I know B is a Billy Clinton fan but the wife has got to go!!

Jono said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
No Edge...step away from the politicians, please!!

We can only afford one band member...well maybe that is the point...only one U2 member per political gala...

Hillary, tho???? WHAT?!?!?

I know B is a Billy Clinton fan but the wife has got to go!!

Oh stop :eyebrow:
"the wife"?! Got to go from where...the senate? or the whole political scene? Or from Bill?
She's been a good senator for the dems, so unless you're participating in that hillary-bashing sport many folks in this nation participate in as though it were NASCAR race-watching, puh-lease.

Like her or not, she's a saavy pol like Bill was and despite the (maybe understandable) turn to hawkishness in the face of terrorist threat (don't forget she's representing NY after all), she's no worse than any of the boys playing that game and lots better in some ways.
Unfortunately, there is so much adamant opposition to her that she'd likely not make for a win-able presidential candidate, but goodness there's a serious lack of leadership in her party.

Anyway, the fly-on-the-wall perspective on conversation among Rob Reiner, Billy Crystal, and Edge would be very interesting!

cheers!

I remain a devoted Edge fan. But I wish the first time he had been spotted out and about was at the New Orleans Jazz Festival, where so many people in the music world will be lending their support, not at a politician's fundraiser.

Many folks in NOLA have been hoping he'll make it on one of the two weekends, despite the situation that caused the band to cancel its tour. I would hate to think he had time for Hillary and not for New Orleans.

Carek1230 said:
Edge lives in LA, not surprising to see him out and about. It WAS surprising to hear about him attending a political fund raising event tho :hmm:

Not necessarily... he may still be an Irish citizen but he and his family live in the US about half the time now.

Edge can be pretty political when he chooses to.

Don't forget, the idea for "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was his.

And remember the "Postcard from The Edge" published in Q Magazine that mentioned the "shining city on a hill," Winthrop, John F Kennedy, and his hopes for the American people to elect a new president that coming November?

He and I both were deeply disappointed in the outcome of that little debacle.

:mad:

:eyebrow: strange news... I never thought that Edge could halp rising money for a political campaign...

Back
Top Bottom