(04-24-2005) World Leader Pretend -- Dallas Observer*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues/2005-04-21/music/music.1.gif[/SIMG]
World Leader Pretend

U2's self-invented legacy is a figment of Bono's imagination
By JOE WATSON

U2 has gone from the band that mattered most to arguably the most irrelevant.

There, I said it. But just because I threw myself on the proverbial cross and 'fessed up, I don't expect you to go out and hawk your tickets to U2's sold-out show at American Airlines Center this October. Or pawn your U2 iPod. Or trade in How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb at CD World. Or disown the band you still foolishly believe is the Greatest. Fucking. Band. Ever.

All that takes time. At least 20 years. That's how long it took me, and I was their Biggest. Fucking. Fan. Ever.

Yeah, I was--long before Bono's ascension to would-be president of the World Bank. Before U2 traded in the challenge of making groundbreaking music--for which it earned its keep upon the perch of modern rock from the early 1980s to the mid-1990s--for the Top 40 of the aughts.

U2 has not only gotten cosmetically younger, reaching out to the Now That's What I Call Music! crowd. It's become musically immature, so much so that I half expect the foursome to leave Earth in about 25 years as toddlers returning to Ork.

It's not the corporate sellout even U2's most loyal fans acknowledge, coupled with five consecutive years--and two consecutive albums--of mediocrity. (Although, if iPods were being sold with War, The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby as the commercial soundtrack, rather than a lame attempt like "Vertigo" to court a younger audience, you wouldn't hear a peep from the purists anyway.)

The shit that gets me most is Bono's pressing flesh with Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Kofi Annan, Nelson Mandela and dozens of other global power players, while he and his bandmates--The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. --try to force U2's self-invented legacy down our throats as we're puking up the sales pitch.

Every time Bono flashes a Cheshire grin after an inconsequential discussion on Third World debt relief or funding for AIDS research, I think of the tourists who smile for the camera in front of the gaping hole where the World Trade Center once stood.

It's all so disingenuous. And downright insulting.

When Bono publicly lobbied for U2 to reclaim the title of "best band in the world" in 2001 on the Elevation tour, I thought to myself, "You don't apply for the position, dude. You're anointed by history."

Of course, U2 has manipulated history for the better part of three decades, which is partly why I believed U2 would outdo the Stones, Bob Dylan and Neil Young--the once-mighty who falsely believe they're still making good music--by actually continuing to make good music as part of the music-plus-savvy-marketing equation. Sadly, the jig is up.

This wasn't an easy conclusion for me, as I haven't always been a U2-basher. Quite the opposite.

Of course, I own every album (yes, I bought them; they're not burned copies), including a half-dozen low-quality bootlegs and this decade's major disappointments, All That You Can't Leave Behind and Atomic Bomb. As a teenager, I read from cover to cover, in one sitting, Eamon Dunphy's gratuitous blowjob of a book, Unforgettable Fire: The Story of U2, and believed in every bit of it. I groaned aloud when Bono didn't win "Sexiest Male Rock Artist" in the 1987 Rolling Stone readers' choice poll (George Michael took first place, with Bono a distant fourth). And I'm not even gay.

As preposterous as it was that Zooropa won the Grammy for Best Alternative Album over Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream in 1993, I belted out a thunderous "Hell, yeah!" and rubbed it in every hater's face.

But I've realized in the past five years--my loyalty slowly chipped away--that U2 won't be the band Bono always promised us.

While the majority are still in denial about U2's worth to progressive music, there's a small minority of rock critics around the country, not employed by Rolling Stone, who are calling U2's bluff.

For instance, there's Chicago Tribune music critic Greg Kot, who penned one of the more honest pieces about the band's decline--both musically and ethically--I've read. In his February 13 column for the paper, he wrote: "In recent years, [U2's] business practices have become more suspect, their attention-seeking more transparent, their principles more readily compromised, and their music less challenging."

Still, with every new album and every subsequent tour, some fake, highbrow critic's gotta gush that there's something new and brilliant about Bono that no one's ever caught on to before. Or that every pompous move Bono makes has to have some deeper meaning.

Like Kelefa Sanneh's New York Times review of U2's Vertigo tour opener in San Diego on March 29, in which Sanneh observed: "While Bono delighted in playing the diplomat and playing the showman (and in hinting that these two characters have something in common), the rest of the band got down to work, creating the deceptively simple sounds and textures that appear again and again in their songs."

In other words, Bono screwed around and created a spectacle of himself to draw attention away from the fact that the new songs suck.

And therein lies the core of how U2 has dismantled itself, because really, this isn't a rant about the ills of selling out, as U2 has clearly done. The Stones did it, too--long ago--albeit by way of Budweiser, which never could have been used as a guise for a creative outlet in the way U2 has lately attempted to justify its deal with Apple.

What U2 has done--in its quest to become bigger than the Beatles (and, in turn, claim that no one is bigger than Jesus)--translates to this:

They fucked up a really good thing.

Like the girlfriend you never cheated on breaking your heart.

Like the bastard who breaks up a championship team.

Like W., post-Clinton.

Like Bono and U2 for almost a decade now.

Have fun in October, suckers.

--Dallas Observer

Thanks Allegra!

Surely this isn't really from the Dallas Observer?? With all that profanity?

Sad individual

It's one thing to critisize the band. As Americans we have that right. However its another thing to write that article with total disdain. Talk about one vindictive and sad individual. I agree U2 has not been the same since Joshua Tree. However I'm still their biggest fan. No band has influenced more. They inspire me and I'm sure others that it's right to question authority. Their music has also been great. You think every album is going to be on the calibur of J Tree? Also - did you know they took not one red cent from the Apple commercials they made. Look for yourself instead of making hostile and blanket statements like that. I can go on and on. I think 27 years and they still being as popular as ever speaks volumes. Maybe I should write an article about all of your downsides and failures and spearhead a move never to buy your newspaper or articles. You'll be out of a job much sooner than the band your criticize. You seem like a very sad individual.

Couldn't he have just said "I think Bono's a phony"? See, five words, and none of us would have wasted 5 minutes, though I'm sure that was the goal. And I love how he states "U2 sold out" like it's some universal truth that everyone believes, like the Earth being round or whatever. Ah who cares, nothing to see here...

This is just kind of strange to me, how someone can go from thinking they are the best band ever to hating them so passionately. It sounds as if there must be something else that happened, like he met Bono and Bono snubbed him or called him ugly or something, just because he thinks the lat 2 albums are mediocre doesn't warrant this kind of hate. So that suddenly takes away from all the great things they have ever done?? War, UF, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, etc. all still exist, just because he thinks their music isn't good anymore he suddenly disregards all the things he loved before?

I like how helping other people in Africa is suddenly a sin against art. Does anyone really think that Bono only singing about poverty (ie. "Streets", "Mothers of the Disappeared") is better than him doing something about what he cares about? Bono is Bono and thanks to that, and all of the other band members being who they are, we have excellent albums- Achtung, ATYCLB, Bomb-. When a rock band sells out arenas and needs to add more dates to meet demand in a world of rockless music it makes them relevant. sorry, i dont see an argument from ths guy.

And as for him criticizing Bono's humanitarian efforts, I don't really think it's his place to judge that. To me it's just pathetic, sitting around pointing his finger at someone who is out fighting for things that he believes in, it's so easy to just sit around and criticize others while they are actually contributing to society and bringing joy to people's lives. I wonder if he can say the same,

Re: Sad individual

phila76 said:
It's one thing to critisize the band. As Americans we have that right. However its another thing to write that article with total disdain. Talk about one vindictive and sad individual. I agree U2 has not been the same since Joshua Tree. However I'm still their biggest fan. No band has influenced more. They inspire me and I'm sure others that it's right to question authority. Their music has also been great. You think every album is going to be on the calibur of J Tree? Also - did you know they took not one red cent from the Apple commercials they made. Look for yourself instead of making hostile and blanket statements like that. I can go on and on. I think 27 years and they still being as popular as ever speaks volumes. Maybe I should write an article about all of your downsides and failures and spearhead a move never to buy your newspaper or articles. You'll be out of a job much sooner than the band your criticize. You seem like a very sad individual.

U2's best, BY FAR, was NOT "The Joshua Tree". Anyone stuck in that moment might as well hang it up now. If any fan or writer is still pining for that era, then shoo - I'm sick of hearing about it. 1987 was a great year - loved it, but please let's move on. U2 is indeed different since JT - thank God for it too! It was fun in 1987. But by R&H, even I was getting sick of that look, image and attitude. U2 wisely changed persona and as a result have been around for another 15 years.

To claim that they are irrelevant now is both erroneous and downright ridiculous. When I hear people saying how they heard a new Coldplay song on the radio and thought it was new U2, that proves how influential U2's current music still is to artists.

Writers are entitled to their opinions, but when they state something as fact, then it becomes very dangerous. However, Bono said it best way back in 1992 - U2 doesn't need fans like him.

I want to add, that "yes", U2's last two albums aren't the direction chaging gems that past works have been. But does this mean the group is in decline? When I listen to the last few Beatles' albums, I don't hear any revolutionary sounds - rather, I hear a group doing what they do best (even if, on the last album, they were mostly separated). This same is true for U2. I hear them sounding at their best. They've taken the absolute best parts of U2 and fine-tuned them to create two albums of brilliant songs. No, not everyone is great - but then, I'd say this about all of U2's albums. To say one is in decline for sounding like one's self is asinine and short-sighted.

Yet again, I think articles like this prove why music critics are - by far - the most useless human beings on the planet. Be ashamed if you are one.

Does JOE WATSON have an E-mail address? Any Dallas fans know him or read his articles on a regular basis?

For the past 20 years, I have dealt with people who think that U2 sucks. And it bothered me, because these people were so-called "cool", who were into that bullshit top 40, pop, hair band, boy band, hip hop, Britney, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, American Idol crap. But you know what?

FUCK 'EM.

U2 were never popular when it comes to typical teenage music. U2 are different. They are unique. And that's what makes them so special. They create music that fits their styles and personalites. And that's why I fucking love them.

And that is total bullshit that their last few albums suck. Are you kidding me? ATYCLB is so heartfelt, soulful, awe-inspiring and great. The same with HTDAAB, with a few songs that totally rock, mixed with some really emotional songs.

I would take HTDAAB over any new music that is out there today.
And Bono is sincere when it comes to trying to mobilize people in trying to rid the world of poverty. It's absolutely amazing that poverty has been around for ever, and nothing has ever been done about it unit now. At least Bono is saying, "Hey, we gotta do something here. We can't let this continue." God, imagine if everyone in the world would stop what they were doing, forget about their own problems, and do everything they can to get rid of poverty. I always think about this.

joerags said:
For the past 20 years, I have dealt with people who think that U2 sucks. And it bothered me, because these people were so-called "cool", who were into that bullshit top 40, pop, hair band, boy band, hip hop, Britney, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, American Idol crap. But you know what?

FUCK 'EM.

U2 were never popular when it comes to typical teenage music. U2 are different. They are unique. And that's what makes them so special. They create music that fits their styles and personalites. And that's why I fucking love them.

And that is total bullshit that their last few albums suck. Are you kidding me? ATYCLB is so heartfelt, soulful, awe-inspiring and great. The same with HTDAAB, with a few songs that totally rock, mixed with some really emotional songs.

I would take HTDAAB over any new music that is out there today.
And Bono is sincere when it comes to trying to mobilize people in trying to rid the world of poverty. It's absolutely amazing that poverty has been around for ever, and nothing has ever been done about it unit now. At least Bono is saying, "Hey, we gotta do something here. We can't let this continue." God, imagine if everyone in the world would stop what they were doing, forget about their own problems, and do everything they can to get rid of poverty. I always think about this.

Nicely said.

Also, I really don't understand this sudden complaining about Bono's humanitarian efforts when you consider that he's been doing this kind of thing for 20 freakin' years! He's visited with world leaders/politicians/what have you for years now, he's visited Africa numerous times since the 80s-and people are just now getting irritated by it? Same goes with that top 40 comment...er...they've been having top 40 hits since 1984. That isn't anything new, either.

Meh. Anywho, the guy's entitled to his opinion, but needless to say, I strongly disagree.

Angela

Zoomerang96 said:
that's a really good article. :up:

a shadow of their former selves...
I'm not trying to bash on you and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it seems that a lot of your posts (or at least, recent posts) tend to be anti-Bono and anti-U2.

Why?

To be honest, you sound quite bitter. I'm not sure about what, though.

I read the following quote on another board:

“What was so interesting was people had such a sense of panic. They suddenly realized a world without him. And my feeling was, 'Shame on you. You think you get these kind of people your whole life? You should be proud of the fact that you're living during the time that this person is.'

- Jakob Dylan, talking about people in panic about his father's heart attack

On the one hand, everyone is entitled to their opinion, blah. This guy certainly thinks he's making some big statements in a big, smug, and rather spiteful way. Dude, lay off the fans.

I typically ignore U2-bashing because it's usually irrational or unnecessarily personal. Not to mention the fact that the whole "they've declined since the Joshua Tree" song is so tired. At the most, Bono's voice has declined, but this is a band that has only grown more fascinating and more vital.

I think this guy was a little more hurtful than he needed to be, but that's his flaw as a writer more than anything.

To him I offer a great big shrug of the shoulders. An enormous yawn.

(Knowing that when I first finished that article, I smelled blood. Remember in ROTK when Gandalf faced off against the Witch King? Someone find me a flaming sword and a fell beast...)

Tennis05 said:
I like how helping other people in Africa is suddenly a sin against art. Does anyone really think that Bono only singing about poverty (ie. "Streets", "Mothers of the Disappeared") is better than him doing something about what he cares about? Bono is Bono and thanks to that, and all of the other band members being who they are, we have excellent albums- Achtung, ATYCLB, Bomb-. When a rock band sells out arenas and needs to add more dates to meet demand in a world of rockless music it makes them relevant. sorry, i dont see an argument from ths guy.

Excellent points.

YusufZ said:
I'm not trying to bash on you and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it seems that a lot of your posts (or at least, recent posts) tend to be anti-Bono and anti-U2.

Why?

To be honest, you sound quite bitter. I'm not sure about what, though.

it's a fair, and honest observation of me.

and i happen to agree with it. u2 used to be the most important thing to me, in a certain sense. they were 7ust so...cool. and you know why? cause they weren't trying. they didn't appear to be begging for our attention. they did shit they felt like doing, and it all turned to gold for them.

and then things changed. and it really frustrates me to see how they've completely disowned all the good they did for a new squeeky clean image that is all about pandering to fair-weather fans who know little about music other than what they hear being played on their favourite clear channel radio stations.

i feel most of the article is true (at least in my opinion). u2 are not the band they always were. they are playing it safe and trying to be everyone's buddy. i really wish they'd just act like a real rock band again and get back to the music and shut up about every world event. the fans don't want to hear Bono's misguided views on the world, we want to hear kick ass genious music.

Zoomerang96 said:

it's a fair, and honest observation of me.

and i happen to agree with it. u2 used to be the most important thing to me, in a certain sense. they were 7ust so...cool. and you know why? cause they weren't trying. they didn't appear to be begging for our attention. they did shit they felt like doing, and it all turned to gold for them.

and then things changed. and it really frustrates me to see how they've completely disowned all the good they did for a new squeeky clean image that is all about pandering to fair-weather fans who know little about music other than what they hear being played on their favourite clear channel radio stations.

I'd HARDLY say that Pop, a full decade after JT and therefore in the period of this alleged decline, represents an instance of pandering. That whole album is like a big f**k off to everyone in a way. So they got over the darkness and the experimentation. So Bono's found God again in a big way. So what. Since when is joy and redemption and whatever spiritually laced feeling you might want to insert a way to attract fair weather fans? Last time I looked, the vast majority of the music-buying public were into smut and inanity. In this sense, U2 are doing exactly what THEY want to do. And why not? I know I'll always be interested.

i love pop. i don't know what you're talking about.

and your opinion is most certainly valid.

Back
Top Bottom