(04-22-2007) Prized U2 guitar, other gear sold at benefit - CNN*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Prized U2 guitar, other gear sold at benefit

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- The Gibson Les Paul guitar of U2's The Edge fetched $240,000 and Bono's sunglasses pulled in $20,000 at an auction Saturday to benefit musicians who lost everything in Hurricane Katrina.

The auction at New York's Hard Rock Cafe by Julien's Auctions raised $2,436,900, including a 20 percent buyer's fee, for Music Rising, a charity set up by The Edge and other musicians after the 2005 Gulf Coast hurricane. It marked the first time such a wide selection of U2 memorabilia was available to collectors, organizers said.

Among the more than 200 items sold were Jimi Hendrix's 1966 Red Fender Mustang guitar, which fetched $400,000, former President Clinton's saxophone ($54,000) and a pair of John Lennon's round, blue-tinted sunglasses ($30,000).

"I have to say that it is a strange feeling to see some of your stuff up here," said The Edge.

In addition to the Les Paul, which was acquired by an anonymous buyer, The Edge donated his 1958 Gibson archtop guitar, which sold for $105,000 and an assortment of accessories worn on stage, including a pair of sneakers ($7,000) and one of his signature cotton knit caps ($11,000).

The autographed Irish Falcon Gretsch Guitar of U2 frontman Bono sold for $180,000, while U2 bassist Adam Clayton's Fender Active Jazz Deluxe went for $22,000 and the tom tom used in the U2's Vertigo tour by drummer Larry Mullen Jr. sold for $19,000.

The most emotional sale of the seven-hour auction involved The Edge's Les Paul guitar, which he had used on every U2 tour since 1985.

Dallas Schoo, the Irish rock band's longtime guitar technician, told Reuters he regretted the sale of the guitar.

In concert, "whenever Bono yells that he wants to go into free form," Schoo said, "that has always been my go-to guitar" to hand off to The Edge.

"It looks like it's been through a war," said Ralph Trenke, an avid U2 fan who took home The Edge's 1958 Gibson archtop but came up short in bidding on the Les Paul.

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/22/music.auction.reut/index.html

Dallas in the news :cute:

Interesting that the Les Paul went to an anonymous bidder. I wonder if he or she will ever come forward? I'd love to read a longer interview with Ralph Trenke--what the auction was like, what he's going to do with the guitar, those sorts of things.

I'm sure if I were in Dallas' position it would be hard to seperate yourself from the situation. However, Edge is a genius and he will find a way to compensate for the loss of the Gibson.

That (real world term, not U2 world!) "object" will end up helping hundreds if not thousands of people. WOW

JCOSTER said:
^ how do u know that?

Does it seem characteristic for Edge/U2 to sell such an integral piece of their legacy???

This is a group that have kept all the ZOOTV Trabants in warehouse for 15 years. Plus the Popmard Lemon. Kept the JT arena stage for over 20 years. Edge has used his original guitar and amp from 1976 on every album and tour!!!!

So either that or the guitar player from COLDPLAY bought it and din't want anybody to know.

u2fp

I kinda hope it was the band/him/*someone* buying it back for him too...

I mean, I understand the gesture...all those people lost their only instruments. It's a truly meaningful thing to in support and solidarity give up your own most important one. But
if you get the bidding to go just as high as it possibly could, and then beat it by 25K, you've done quite enough in my book.
Plus be behind the whole fundraising organization in the first place, of course.
I'm sure he can go on without it, but it's sad to think of that. Which I suppose is the point...

Great that it went for so much!

oktobergirl said:
I'm sure if I were in Dallas' position it would be hard to seperate yourself from the situation.

I think so, too. He's worked with Edge for over 20 years. I'm sure that after all those years of tinkering with and fixing and tuning and restringing all of Edge's guitars, they've started to feel like his own in some ways. I'm sure seeing the Les Paul especially go was a very emotional moment for him.

I have no doubt that he and Edge will find replacements for these two guitars, and that the songs he played on them will sound just as good (if not even better) on the next tour. I'm sure vintage guitar dealers are going out of their way offering to have Dallas come look at guitars. I mean, who wouldn't want to sell a guitar to the Edge?

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I think so, too. He's worked with Edge for over 20 years. I'm sure that after all those years of tinkering with and fixing and tuning and restringing all of Edge's guitars, they've started to feel like his own in some ways. I'm sure seeing the Les Paul especially go was a very emotional moment for him.

I've heard Dallas once say that Edge makes him completely re-string 8 guitars before every show. Maybe Dallas would be happy if it were now only 7?

I'm so happy that this auction was a huge success. Yes, it would be nice if someone bought it and then gave it back to Mr.Edge. I don't think I could bring it home with me... it belongs in his hands.

I think it's an awesome gesture for The Edge to donate such a guitar since the point of Music Rising is that many musicians lost their instruments and will never have the chance to get them back.

But if course if the anonymous bidder's given name IS David, as U2fanPeter suggests, I think it's still an amazing gesture - maybe even more so ;)

Under auction laws in most states (including NY), sellers are not allowed to bid on their own property without notice to the other bidders. However, they can withdraw items from an auction any time before the gavel comes down.

So unless someone was secretly bidding on Edge's behalf, it's not him.

When Willie Nelson had his IRS troubles 10-15 years ago they had an forced estate auction. Many items were purchased by fans and given back to the WN.

Eric Clapton recently sold 150 of his guitars to fund his Crossroads detox center. During the auction he got cold feet on 6 of the instruments and has since admitted to purchasing them himself.

I think OJ Simpson had a forced estate auction for Goldman/Brown families where his Theisman NFL award was sold. It was purchased and given back to OJS.

The Clapton example shows that auction laws may be different for charity auctions than for auction involving possible financial gain(artificial value inflation of an item)

u2fp

By raising close to $2.5mil from the entire auction, there's enough for 3-4,000 New Orleanian musicians to get new instruments.

Think about that for a moment.

MUSIC RISING have helped over 25,000 students and parishioners

Friday, May 25, 2007

"More Music Rising News!

Hello All: We wanted to keep you up to date on what is happening in the world of Music Rising. Since our great auction event in New York we have continued to help schools and churches in the Gulf Coast region and recently were able to announce that to date we have helped over 25,000 students and parishioners. That number keeps growing and we will move towards helping as many schools and churches in need as possible. We should also let you know that the Edge recently played that wonderful Epiphone Music Rising guitar on the steps of the red carpet at this year's Cannes Film Festival in France. How cool is that? Check out YOU TUBE to see the video if you like. We continue to sell our Music Rising t-shirts through all the Hard Rock locations around the world and amazingly still receive letters and calls everyday about how to help Music Rising. There is still so much to do. Two years later and still people are displaced. Lets not forget! We also were advised that the FOX Television Network has a new series premiering in the Fall which will recognize various cities and their struggles....one of them is said to be New Orleans. We had a great time supporting the French Quarter Festival and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival this year as well. Keep the letters and support coming. We love you all and look forward to the day when we can say the Gulf Coast HAS been rebuilt NOTE BY NOTE! Have a safe and healthy Memorial Day no matter where you are!
posted by Musicrising at 5:26 PM"

http://musicrising.blogspot.com/2007/05/more-music-rising-news.html

$11,000 for one of Edge's caps? *Sigh*. What some people would pay for (possibly) a 15yr-old drop of Edge's sweat...:drool:

Oh well...if it buys 15 bands instruments, or funds an inner-city public school music class, fine. IMO, as long as Edge does not get rid of the "Boy" guitar (the Fender that he bought in '75 or '76 which he said was the first one in Ireland, that he dusted off last for "Vertigo" tour...I'll be happy. He would be insane tio sell that off. It would be like Michealangelo selling off the hammer and chisel he used to build the David....

PLEASE STANDBY FOR TRANSMISSION:I wish I could have purchased all of U2 item's in the auction.I would have then loaned them to the Rock N' Roll Hall fo Fame for everyone to enjoy.That's where these item's belong.

Back
Top Bottom