(04-16-2007) Taymor to Direct Spider-Man Musical, Scored by Bono & Edge - BW*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If this would happen the suck-factor will be off the charts.
and for those who will say the following:
1 * you are not a fan
2 * lets see first and then start complaining
3 * it will be great
4 * You are negative

1: I was, am and hope to stay
2: the word musical and U2 is such a ridiculous combination. I garuantee it wont be good
3: see 2
4 No I am not , I am happier then ever before and love life. This 'news" just sucks

have a good night and dont dream of spiders..they make you itch

yes.

i don't mind them doing a musical.

but spiderman...that's just so unbelievably cheesy :barf:

Looks like this is actually moving forward. Readings are scheduled and casting notices have been put out...I don't know what to make of this. On the one hand, I'm getting sick of the excess of movies turned musicals/jukebox musicals/pop-star penned musicals, but for every Tarzan/Lestat/Good Vibrations/Times They Are A-Changin/The Wedding Singer, there comes a Full Monty/Dirty Rotten Scoundrels/Spring Awakening/Grey Gardens (ok, so that's a documentary, not a movie) that is actually decent.

While I'd prefer Bono and Edge to work on a project that at implies a bit more artistic integrity than Spiderman: The Musical, which just seems inherently ridiculous, it seems like the deal is done. I hope it's great, and spurs them on to work on something a little more innovative and compelling than swinging spiders.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this. Even though the idea's been batted around for a while, there's no saying it'll ever go any farther than the readings. And to whoever said that the scheduled readings implied that their job should be pretty much done...'fraid not. It's still a long haul at this point. I'm sure beyond the readings there would be a massive rewriting process, probably more staged readings, an out of town tryout, more rewrites, previews on Broadway, and yet more rewrites. That's not to say they wouldn't be able to get into the studio again in that time, but assuming this ever does make it on the boards of Broadway, their job is far from finished.

All I can say is: stranger things have happened.

I highly doubt this one wll share dubious ranking with Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown. Nor will the result be as dreadful.

Imagine it was 1989 and the Net existed and after the JT and RAH albums rumors were swirling around that U2 were planning on incorporating rap/hip-hop into their next album. I think everyone's response would have been WTF!?!?!?!?:eyebrow:
AB was n't exactly "Fear Of A Black Planet" but boy did they create something new! So let's keep an open mind here people! At least U2 are not getting boring in their "old age":wink:

Some of you guys can hate this idea as much as you want, but they have every right to do it. The band knows better than any of us whether they have time to devote to a project like this. Is it really necessary to analyze to this great depth EVERY little choice their make. Who cares! I am fan... hard-core fan... but does this mean I am going to see the production of this just because they will contribute the music (assuming the story is true): NO! I couldn't care less about the Broadway production of Spiderman... But at the same time, I am not going to waste breath complaining about it. I have as much right to be upset over as Bono has over the fact I am going out for a coffee with a friend tonight.

Well, as a fan of Broadway theatre and of the band, I have to say I think it sounds like some funky judgement on their part. I"m all for them branching out (and like I said before, I don't think writing a musical is necessarily a bad idea in and of itself), but with this as the vehicle? I'll certainly give them the benefit of the doubt, and as someone who sees just about every show each season, I'm sure I'll see it if it actually makes it.

I don't know what to make of it, I have to say. For the time being, it's kind of the laughing stock of the Broadway community (both fans and people working in the business). It'd be a shame if it's a massive flop for everyone involved. Musical theatre has been seriously lacking in recent years, so we don't need another colossal steaming mess (and this would be a very high profile mess). While I'm sure it wouldn't really affect the band in the grand scheme of things (rancid reviews for Lestat didn't do any serious damage to Elton John...though he does have Billy Elliott in the wings which well received in London), there'll be a mini media circus for a spell if it is indeed terrible (Times They Are A-Changin' with their yoga balls, excuse me, "Rolling Stones" on The Soup anyone?). They'd have a field day!

While I'm curious, I'm afraid this has some serious potential to be a big ol' train wreck (I'd hate for Bono and Edge to be involved in one, but I do LOVE a good train wreck!).

Jono said:
but spiderman and "musical" don't seem to go together either-

We he does have a theme song :wink: :

"Spiderman, Spiderman,
Does whatever a spider can.
Spins a web, any size,
Catches thieves just like flies.
Look out! Here comes the Spiderman.

Is he strong? Listen bud—
He's got radioactive blood.
Can he swing from a thread?
Take a look overhead.
Hey there! There goes the Spiderman.

In the chill of the night,
At the scene of the crime,
Like a streak of light,
He arrives just in time!

Spiderman, Spiderman,
Friendly neighborhood Spiderman.
Wealth and fame, he's ignored—
Action is his reward.
To him,
Life is a great big bang-up—
Wherever there's a hang-up,
You'll find the Spiderman!"

Let's see Bono and The Edge top that! Not everyone can come up with lyrics like, "Listen bud — He's got radioactive blood."

:crack:

Rachel D. said:
I just hope it isn't too corney. What would Spiderman sing about anyway? I suppose Bono and Edge have to figure something out!

That's my fear...I don't have an agenda about what U2 do (new album or side projects, though I'd prefer new album! still, you gotta do what inspires you..), or about Broadway (but the points made about keeping stages away from plays that give us something new, something interesting, not derivative are good and valid ones!)...
I just don't want it to suck! Exactly Rachel D. ...what would Spiderman need to sing about?! Especially since he doesn't really have a mouth in that get-up?!

I don't know...have there been other superhero musicals?!
Writing songs for movies just seems so different from writing songs to be sung on stage, first person very un-abstract and personal.
If they can pull it off it will be quite the feat...:|

ShellBeThere said:

I just don't want it to suck! Exactly Rachel D. ...what would Spiderman need to sing about?! Especially since he doesn't really have a mouth in that get-up?!
:lol: Well he'll better have a mouth for that musical, will be hard to be the hero of a broadway show if you're not able to sing.
I agree, though, that I really hope it's not a failure. Could be something totally unexpected, who knows. Maybe they'll make a socially conscious thing out of it and Bono even manages to stuff somthing about Africa into it.

Eh. . .I'm doubtful.

Maybe because I'm just not a big fan of musicals to begin with.

Bono and the Edge can do whatever they like. I don't think they should be criticized just because they're not doing whatever it is the armchair U2 theorists think they should be doing. Of course fans have every right to dislike what they do as well.

I don't think I'd need to see the play but I'm very curious about the tunes, of course.

U2, despite it's reputation of respecting their fans, has also had a long history of confounding their fans. They really turned off a lot of their 80's fans with AB/Zooropa/Pop. They turned off a lot of their 90's fans with ATYCLB and HTDAAB. But they keep doing what they want to do and I respect that, even if I don't always like the product.

ShellBeThere said:

I don't know...have there been other superhero musicals?!

Indeed, I didn't know there was, but I just saw something yesterday about "It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman" (The Musical). I bet it was classic! :wink:

I gotta say, it's starting to freak me out a little...

It's plastered all over the yahoo frontpage and everytime I see it pop up in a different form ("Spiderman going to Broadway? See who will be writing the music!" '; "Spiderman sings! Bono and Edge write the songs; when will it open?"; "Bono writing Spiderman musical!") it begins to scare me more...

It's really impossible for me to judge whether spiderman's special situation warrants a musical. I just don't know anything about the franchise, neither the comics nor the movies (gosh, I don't want to have to watch the films, but I guess people have liked them...). I keep flashing on "Wicked". Okay, maybe it's the same deal. Maybe ahead of time I wouldn't have thought someone could write a successful musical about the witches from Oz. But then I think, well...it has an interesting premise to start with. A backstory to characters we already knew. Vulnerability, being misunderstood, big life events.
But will Marvel allow for *new* information to be revealed about its character? If so, maybe it'll be okay. If it's just rehashing what we already know, set to songs, I wonder....
It's also hard to imagine translating action hero to the stage without being completely silly. Maybe it'll really be about the people around him and Spidey will make only appearances and not be truly the star.
Does Spidey have features that will allow for *new* tensions, or a novel take on him? Or maybe the 'geek chorus' indicates it will be more about people (geeky teenagers, spidey's support network, his archenemies, etc..)'s reactions to him than the superhero himself. That would make more sense, but it still seems like a small piece of entertainment unless it's done really cleverly....
anyway, cheers all!

edit: but you know, when I told my husband just now in a distressed state, oh no...bono and edge... (pause)...are writing a spiderman musical! Isn't that awful? His reply was "well, it's not so bad...you know what would be worse? I thought you were about to say that they're having a nasty fight or something".
True, that would be worse! Working together is good...

Last edited:
:yes: :sexywink: All I can say is I trust them to do what they do best, make their music. Mistakes or great....it is interesting to see them branch out and learn different things. What works, what doesn't! It is Their band!!

Back
Top Bottom