(04-13-2006) Ali in New Vanity Fair -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Ali in New Vanity Fair

The girls in PLEBA have let us know that Ali Hewson is one of the celebrities featured in Vanity Fair's new "green" issue in honor of her work on the EDUN clothing line. Of Ali, who's called "The Green Goddess" and listed as a "fair-trade clothing entrepreneur" in the issue, the magazine says:

Ali Hewson is gorgeously maternal, an alchemical mixture of dark, mysterious beauty (the corner of her lips, the orbit of her hips ...) and down-to-earth, minivan mum pragmatism. This is what makes her an ideal bridge between the worlds of fashion, environmentalism, and human rights--she's an Earth Mother, but not in the dated, patchouli-funk sense of the term. As the driving force behind Edun Apparel--a clothing company she started last year with the New York designer Rogan Gregory (of the boutique jean label Rogan) and her husband, U2 bombastier Bono--Hewson is applying the same ideas to chemises, jeans, and dresses the conscientious shoppers and chefs have lately been applying to food: use organic products, pay your workers a fair wage, and make sure these workers are being treated humanely. Edun's fair-trade clothing, which is made in Africa, India and South America and is available in the US at Barney's and Saks, is a step forward from the aid and debt-relief campaigns for which Hewson's husband is known--it's compassionate capitalism, creating jobs in developing nations and promoting environmental awareness to boot. In her quiet way, Ali Hewson elevates our souls.

Check out the photo in PLEBA.

The "green" issue of Vanity Fair, featuring environmentally aware celebrities like Julia Roberts and George Clooney on its cover, is currently on newsstands.

:applaud: This is great news, not to mention an article about or interview with Ali Hewson is always a breath of fresh air. I don't know how she does everything she does, but she manages quite well. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the magazine!

Nice article. This part made me smile:
Ali Hewson is gorgeously maternal, an alchemical mixture of dark, mysterious beauty (the corner of her lips, the orbit of her hips ...)
:)

Can't agree more with all your comments!:wink:

In her very own way she's as big of an impact as Bono is on us...well me at least!!!

Who's making me wanna go study in Sciences Politics....:sexywink:

Cathxxx

Ali is such a beautiful woman all the way around...I'm reading the Bono interview with Mischka Assayas and Bono has such wonderful things to say about her...they are truly a match made in heaven!! That kind of connection doesn't happen every day! In my eyes, they are quite possibly the perfect couple. :love:

What do you expect, they're soulmates they've known each other most of their lives. I mean 33 years people, if that wasn't written in the stars I don't know what is!

Imagine loving someone you've known since you were thirteen that is RARE!:cute:

Someone referred to Ali as rock's "Jackie O" . I like that comparison. The picture in VF really does not do her justice though. She's so remarkable with her gorgeous smile and snow-white baby face. I can't believe I just wrote that - that's one song I prefer to forget! Yet it suits the mood of the interview I suppose and her reserved nature. She sounds so modest and wary but amicable. I can't help but think that she was very uneasy about taking the photo. I'm happy to see my favorite person with such a tasteful choice for a wife. It helps confirm why I'm so fond of him. She's very graceful but it must be so difficult to remain so composed with her husband's "alien"lifestyle. They must have so much in common and truly respect each other. She's probably a lot like a mother for him,too. Guiding him all the time. You know what they say,"BEHIND EVERY GREAT MAN IS AN EVEN GREATER WOMAN."

Back
Top Bottom