(03-30-2007) U2 get to work on new album - NME*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 get to work on new album

U2 have announced that they have begun work on their new album.

Guitarist The Edge says that the band are working with producer Rick Rubin on the follow up to 2004's 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'.

The Edge told Rolling Stone: "We're working on new songs and getting lost in the music. I don't think we're going to try and think too much about what we're going to do with it yet, we're just going to do a lot of writing and just see what gives.

"We're giving ourselves the luxury of just working on the songs. There's some amazing things coming through.

http://www.nme.com/news/u2/27440

they means "the Band"? I doubt that "they" get lost in music - Bono receives knighthoods and Echoes all the time, this guy has a strict calendar.

U2 getting "lost in the music" = an album in the fall of 2011 and tour in early 2012.

Westport said:
U2 getting "lost in the music" = an album in the fall of 2011 and tour in early 2012.

That's kind of what I was thinking, although I was a little more optimistic. Maybe 2010.

Where in which studio are they recording with Rubin?? If this is true, some people in this digital fan world would have reported.

Lanois and Eno - were they around on the last album? Whatever it may be, it was fantastic. I was really happy with the last couple of albums...I hope they don't change too much like after their break with Rattle and Hum. Those Macphisto days cause me to panic...
Nothing can please me more than another world tour but I don't believe that's for another few years. I just find U2 is like fine wine...they get better with age wouldn't you agree?

I totally disagree with you MOM. I am a huge U2 and even though the last two albums were necessary to bring U2 back to the masses and maye to a new and younger audiences, on the whole they were quite boring, with the odd good moments, but I just don't think they were that great.
If you go back to albums like JT and AB there was something exciting and interesting about them, whether it was the strength of Bono's vocals, the lyrical content, the music etc. I think U2 has lost two things I have enjoyed most in their music, innovation and expansiveness (the big sound). I'm not saying they should recreate old sounds/songs, but create a new interpretation of the big soundscapes they used to create and merge them with the innovative techniques used in AB and Zooropa, but not with dance and industrial music, but a harder rock sound, soul/funk, blues etc.
They are worried about being the biggest band in the world and therefore do not take the risks like they used to, so there is a lack of experimentation with new sounds or musical styles and I'm not sure I think going down the stripped down/acoustic route is the best thing for a band like U2. Maybe the odd song yes, but not a whole album.
The last two albums were kind of similar in sound and style and I don't think the band will continue doing music in a similar vein, as Bono and Edge have stated. Plus, with Rick Rubin coming on board it could influence them to change their sound and try out new ideas.
I heard Bono in an interview talking about an orchestra coming in to play with them, so maybe they are looking at a greater range of instruments beyond the four guys in the band. I can't remember the last time they did that, maybe it was for All I Want Is You and some extra musicians on Angel Of Harlem.
The problem with that, as the live performance of Hold Me, Thrill Me, on Popmart illustrated, is that some songs just don't have the same power and effect with just the band, they need the accompanyment sometimes.
I for one would like to hear a bigger,maybe darker and edgier (no pune intended) sound. I liked some of the sounds they explored on HTDAAB ie Adam bass at the beginning of Love and Peace, Edge guitar on Yahweh and the highlight song City Of Blinding Lights.
I'd like them to take this further, with Adam really developing his bass sound, Larry's drumming becoming more prominent, as the previous albums have left him in the background, Edge coming up with some great guitar solos, different sounds and some atmospherics/strings he used in tunes like Night and Day and Wild Irish Rose, Bono to use his piano lessons to good use and concentrate on getting his vocals smoother.

Last edited:
For the next year and a half we'll be clinging to comments like these. Every month one member will say something casually about the album and we'll all be disecting what it's meanings are. I think Bono would like to make a fast album, and that's why he always says it's gonna be out a year before it is. The reason it takes so long to make a U2 album is because Edge can't stop tinkering with things, and because Larry is never happy with anything. But it has produced some great albums like this, so I'm happy.

ATYCLB & HTDAAB are great records, also!

The most exciting concept in this news is the writing of songs "before" hitting the studio. They appear to be taking Rubin's request to heart. This will make my anticipation for the next record even greater.

I'm getting pumped for this.

MrBrau1 said:
The most exciting concept in this news is the writing of songs "before" hitting the studio. They appear to be taking Rubin's request to heart. This will make my anticipation for the next record even greater.

I'm getting pumped for this.

I agree... this falls right in with the articles I've read (including a Time Magazine article) of how Rubin produces.
One of the reasons he can work on several projects at one time.

Lanois and Enos mixed in somewhere gives me an even better feeling that this could be the best of both worlds.

Yeah, I'm pumped :yes:

u2jesusgirl said:

hey normally it is 4-5 year wait in between....
last one was 2005 oh okay maybe your are right....2010...haha!
earliest 2009????

yeah, but "normally" the write while the tape is rolling. I've been in a studio and recorded, and can't even begin to understand that method. It must be absolute hell.

If the songs are all done, they can knock it out in 2 months. No problem.

From @U2:

The guitarist also confirms that U2 are in the midst of recording a new album. "We're working on new songs and getting lost in the music," he says. "I don't think we're going to try and think too much about what we're going to do with it yet, we're just going to do a lot of writing and just see what gives. We're giving ourselves the luxury of just working on the songs. There's some amazing things coming through." He calls the material the group's been working on with producer Rick Rubin "fascinating stuff." When asked whether the band will team up again with longtime collaborators Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, he merely laughs: "You might be surprised how quickly that happens."

(The bold was added by me.) What does that mean? :hmm:

Full article from Rolling Stone :

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4589

Last edited:
sorry but this is not news to me....we know long time ago they were working on songs - eg: beach songs

bazza said:
sorry but this is not news to me....we know long time ago they were working on songs - eg: beach songs

Yeah, but it was not officially called the follow up to HTDAAB. It looks like the boys are ready to move into the next album proper.

I think Rubin will be the main producer, but that Lanois and Eno or one or the other will figure in there somehow.

This is all very exciting news!! :rockon:

Thanksandy said:
I totally disagree with you MOM. I am a huge U2 and even though the last two albums were necessary to bring U2 back to the masses and maye to a new and younger audiences, on the whole they were quite boring, with the odd good moments, but I just don't think they were that great.
If you go back to albums like JT and AB there was something exciting and interesting about them, whether it was the strength of Bono's vocals, the lyrical content, the music etc. I think U2 has lost two things I have enjoyed most in their music, innovation and expansiveness (the big sound). I'm not saying they should recreate old sounds/songs, but create a new interpretation of the big soundscapes they used to create and merge them with the innovative techniques used in AB and Zooropa, but not with dance and industrial music, but a harder rock sound, soul/funk, blues etc.
They are worried about being the biggest band in the world and therefore do not take the risks like they used to, so there is a lack of experimentation with new sounds or musical styles and I'm not sure I think going down the stripped down/acoustic route is the best thing for a band like U2. Maybe the odd song yes, but not a whole album.
The last two albums were kind of similar in sound and style and I don't think the band will continue doing music in a similar vein, as Bono and Edge have stated. Plus, with Rick Rubin coming on board it could influence them to change their sound and try out new ideas.
I heard Bono in an interview talking about an orchestra coming in to play with them, so maybe they are looking at a greater range of instruments beyond the four guys in the band. I can't remember the last time they did that, maybe it was for All I Want Is You and some extra musicians on Angel Of Harlem.
The problem with that, as the live performance of Hold Me, Thrill Me, on Popmart illustrated, is that some songs just don't have the same power and effect with just the band, they need the accompanyment sometimes.
I for one would like to hear a bigger,maybe darker and edgier (no pune intended) sound. I liked some of the sounds they explored on HTDAAB ie Adam bass at the beginning of Love and Peace, Edge guitar on Yahweh and the highlight song City Of Blinding Lights.
I'd like them to take this further, with Adam really developing his bass sound, Larry's drumming becoming more prominent, as the previous albums have left him in the background, Edge coming up with some great guitar solos, different sounds and some atmospherics/strings he used in tunes like Night and Day and Wild Irish Rose, Bono to use his piano lessons to good use and concentrate on getting his vocals smoother.

Sorry, but I agree more with MOM, and I was a fan since '83.

JT is boring. There, I said it. All the songs sound the same barring a few - and those few are really bad on the album. That's not to say there isn't good music on JT, but it hardly deserves such a throne. I like a few songs on JT and usually skip the rest. AB is interesting and my first or second favorite U2 album , but it also has some real bombs on it. IMO, HTDAAB is similar to AB - it has some soft moments, some rocking wild moments and some things out there. As such, it constantly boggles my mind how people can declare HTDAAB as this boring album, but adore JT and AB when they have similar weaknesses.

It also boggles my mind how fans want something new, but then constantly refer to the past.

So MOM wins. :D Go MOM!

As for this topic... I'll believe a U2 album is coming out soon when I actually see some real proof. Until then, I'm thinking Oct/Nov of '08.

I say album next year... US/Europe Tour 09, Latinamerican tour 2010...

Chile 2010... it's our bicentenial... :hyper:

and I hope I can make it to the Tour opening or WEMBLEY in 09

My husband agrees with you, too Thanksandy and while I love how Adam comes into play on the last album(although U2 has always been generous with bass sounds more than any other group around), I simply prefer a raw rock n' roll show. They really come alive that way. The last tours were so much more memorable for me than Pop Mart and all that. But, I understand how they have to experiment a little to make new fans, a younger generation of fans who'll grow up with them, too. My kids love songs like Elevation and Vertigo but I'm so happy to hear Out of Control, I will Follow, and Bad. Yet, new fans probably can't always relate. I remember meeting a 19 year old during Vertigo who said, "what's rattle and hum?" Therefore, you are probably right that they do need to experiment a little but they did it in the last albums so well...mixing new and fun beats with songs like Walk On and Miracle Drug.

P.S Somehow I feel like Larry's had enough of touring. Like he said in the past, "There better be 11 very good reasons on an album to leave my family and home again!"

Thanks Doctorwho for the support...but although songs on the JT do sound very alike, it was so refreshing compared to bands like Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, and Poison (or whoever was around back then). How about Streets...was that not brilliant? I absoloutely love it live. I agree with you, too that people want new stuff and then cling to the past. I find myself saying that all the time to my friends!!!

perrypickwick said:
they means "the Band"? I doubt that "they" get lost in music - Bono receives knighthoods and Echoes all the time, this guy has a strict calendar.

They means The Edge, and probably some Larry's loops and Adam's lines, no singer....................:wink:

Yep, its just a matter of time before:

"The Edge is on fucking fire right now!"

"Every song sounds like a single"

"We're all just playing in a room, and it sounds fucking phenomenal!"

"It sounds like the mother of all riffs!"

"This is our first real album...and single"

"This will be our heaviest record yet."

...and so on ;)

Last edited:
"We're all just playing in a room, and it sounds fucking phenomenal!"
Just replace "phenomenal" with "brilliant" and I am sooo with you on ALL your quotes :)

I will submit a hopeful ponder...
Spring 08 release with a fall 08 tour.
stadiums, unfortunately, will dominate the dates.

I think that this might be when they finally throw that curve like AB or JT. When I stole/borrowed a copy of WOWY from the radio station I was interning at and first listened to it..."what the F??" the "drum machine" beginning really threw me for a loop.

AB also was a bit mischevious to my U2 brain. It produced their greatest song and the greatest song ever written/performed in "One". So we should look forward to another "curve" hopefully.

But also UF was a very spiritual journey, that i happened to really "need" at that time, was also a bit off their beaten path of songs like 11 o'clock, sbs, nyd, thbao etc- to Wire, asoh...Pride was probably the most familiar sounding.

Then we do have to thank these "commercial" type albums for songs like SYCMIOYO, Walk On, Crumbs...and on and on and on...

Fan since 80, Toads place in New Haven CT was when I received my first "curve" from U2 and I lookf forward to anything they do...but "curves" are the best. In the curve of the room, bye-

Back
Top Bottom