(03-30-2005) The ‘Elipse’ … And How To Get A Place - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
The ‘Elipse’ … And How To Get A Place

The elipse, the heart, the circle, the ‘Vertigo Club’ in front of the stage – here’s how to get in.

Last night in San Diego we successfully piloted a new system aimed at creating a fairer way for fans to gain entry into the area in front of the stage (the ‘elipse’, which is the equivalent to the ‘heart’ area on the Elevation Tour).

We understand there was a little bit of confusion as to how it works. Let us explain.

People who bought their GA tickets in the U2.Com presale LINE UP IN ONE SPECIFIC AREA, people who bought their GA tickets in the general sale LINE UP IN A SEPARATE AREA.

As you enter, a ticket scanner randomly selects from the two lines those who gain entrance to the elipse.

The system was a big success last night, with lots of you telling us that it was much fairer – for example it does not penalise people who have to work in the daytime and cannot get to the show hours beforehand to get in line.

The new system means that being first in the queue does not guarantee access to the elipse as on previous tours.

For more information on the Elipse, please visit U2.com.

THIS NOTICE ANSWERS NOTHING!!!!

If it is totally random who gets into the ellipse, why do they need two lines, one for GA ticket holders and Fan Club GA ticket holders????

Do fan club ticket holders have a better chance of getting into the ellipse???

Also, what if you bought your ticket from someone who got them on the presale. So you have a GA ticket bought through the presale, but you are not a U2.com member. Where do you line up?

I love u2, but this is one of the things that bugs, why didn't they make this policy clear before the show, and even now it is not clear.

cmullenjr said:

If it is totally random who gets into the ellipse, why do they need two lines, one for GA ticket holders and Fan Club GA ticket holders????

Also, what if you bought your ticket from someone who got them on the presale. So you have a GA ticket bought through the presale, but you are not a U2.com member. Where do you line up?

I love u2, but this is one of the things that bugs, why didn't they make this policy clear before the show, and even now it is not clear.

If your ticket indicates that it was a presale ticket you line up in the U2.com member line. Doesn't really matter if you are a member or not, your tickets has on it that is was bought during the presale.

You do not have a better chance of getting in the ellipse if you are a member. It is totally random. Some tickets that were randomly chosen were bought from the box offices 2-3 hours before the show. I got in the ellipse due to my roomie.

They said they didn't want to announce it before the show because they didn't know if it was set in stone yet.

News: My friend just talked with Mgmt today 3-30 and they said they were not doing a lottery today. That a lottery will only be done on the first day of a mulitple city stop. Don't know if this is true as of yet.

verte76 said:
I may get into the elipse in Atlanta. I didn't bargain for it, I just wanted GA, but I'm a U2.com presale person.

Doesn't matter.

U2 mgmt said that U2.com members do not have a better chance of getting in the ellipse.

I think the only reason why they had us line up in two lines to help expedit the process of getting in because they frisk you.

This is just a bunch of propaganda (no pun intended) crap. It seems as if Adam's brother is behind this. They probably got those quotes by bribing with entrance in the ellipse.

Having a lottery doesnt make sense. Why have one if it actually going to make ppl line up even EARLIER. People will know that now they have to get there earlier to prepare for the likelihood that they won't get in the ellipse.

who care's about all this ellipse nonsence.Any ticket would do me.I'm from their hometown and like everyone i know i couldn't get a ticket.I see croke park are looking for security staff for the summer,i might have a go.

Absolute bullshit.

How about respect for the people who get there, during the early AM (or even overnight), to be in front of the stage.

Sadly, if you cant be there for the show on-time, DONT BUY GA!

Many.. many people want and are willing to do what it takes to be in teh GA, in a good spot in the "ellipse".

Pure crap.

Originally posted by U2fan05

Having a lottery doesnt make sense. Why have one if it actually going to make ppl line up even EARLIER. People will know that now they have to get there earlier to prepare for the likelihood that they won't get in the ellipse.

This is why "reserved" seating is better...... you can get there
at whatever time you want, and still have your seat there for you,
without the hassle of a lottery or waiting in line EARLY....
(Although this only applies to the 100 & 200 sections..... because
these sections ARE the "best" seats for "reserved" seating...)
I'd like to think that U2.com members with "nosebleeds" seating..(300 & 400 sections) will get some justice from U2 regarding that "crap" presale as well. "Nosebleeds" ticketholders
are getting the "unfair" method... and nothing is being done to
correct this matter, either.... how "BS" is that??? :madspit:
Also, having a scanner randomly choose which GA ticketholder
gets into the ellipse ( whether it's a U2.com member or a general sale ticketholder) seems like a "fair" method, too.. :yes: :up:

ONCE AGAIN!!!

No one has answered this! If it is random who gets into the Ellipse, WHY DO THEY NEED TWO LINES, ONE FOR GA AND ONE FOR FAN CLUB GA???

Someone suggested it was to ease security screening, that's bull...they wouldn't need to separate fan club from non fan club in that case, they would just have to make two lines.

And please don't tell me they are having two systems, one for the first show in a city and one for the second show. U2 needs to figure out what the h is going on, get a policy, and stick to it.

cmullenjr said:
ONCE AGAIN!!!

No one has answered this! If it is random who gets into the Ellipse, WHY DO THEY NEED TWO LINES, ONE FOR GA AND ONE FOR FAN CLUB GA???

Someone suggested it was to ease security screening, that's bull...they wouldn't need to separate fan club from non fan club in that case, they would just have to make two lines.

And please don't tell me they are having two systems, one for the first show in a city and one for the second show. U2 needs to figure out what the h is going on, get a policy, and stick to it.

I agree. They need to stick with one system.

I got separated from my GA buddy because of the two lines. And well I guess they wanted to give fan club members some sort of advantage of getting in quicker but they don't have an advantage of getting in the ellipse.

I am interested in what the ratio was at San Diego. Was it 1 in 10, 1 in 4, etc... That will make a big difference.

I am sure this will become more clear as the tour progresses, perhaps the policy will be refined as the tour goes on.

I don't see how the new policy is more fair. The only unfair thing about the last tour was that in some venues, people found ways to cut in. But, that is line management issue. The last show I went to on Elevation (Austin) was very structured, your place in line was set by security (I forget how we actually did it, I think it was hand stamp or something, maybe it was a sign in sheet, I just remember that it was organized). In contrast, the Houston show months earlier was just chaos, we got to the venue at 4PM and got in the Heart, others did not. We just picked the right door and the right angle to enter the door, there was not much of a real line, just a blob of people.

As for the Fall leg.

Prior to finding out about the lottery, I submitted my time off request for the Houston show in October. To me, I am willing to make the sacrifice.

The U2.Com Pre-Sale line has two benefits, it will always be shorter. So, short that most of us may not have to get their early if we still want a chance at the Ellipse lottery. We will see, as reports come in for other shows, that should be answered. For those who want "First row" of the GA section there is still an incentive to camp out.

I am going to have a great time anyway. But, I am spoiled by the Heart from last time. Especially since the current set-up is almost the same, except for the lottery, a lottery system that I have no control over.

Being in The Heart at times felt like being a large night club concert. Gosh, I really want in the Ellipse.

Last edited:
I don't think it's been talked about too much, but i came down from seattle for the show monday night, and it seemed like there were hardly ANY people in ellipse...at all the shows i went to for elevation, I was in the heart and while it was not stuffed it was fairly full, the show monday it seemed like the ellipse had about half the number of people in the fire marshall would say were OK to be there...anybody else there that wants to back me up on this or have anything to offer.

We camped overnight, and we were about 90th in line, when we got in, me and my buddy were lucky cause we went straight to the table whee they give the eclipse wristbands out, and they didnt scan our tickets, they just gave us the eclipse wristbands, with a little begging!! So we got in with no problems at all! Im pretty sure they will do this at all the shows, not just the first show at each venue. I dont have GA's for tonights show, I want to see them from the seats tonight!! But it is well organised, nothing to worry about

cmullenjr said:

From what I READ...the reason why there's two lines is to let people with pre-sale tickets in quicker as the line SHOULD be shorter.

Neither line has an advantage getting in the elipse. Period.

If your ticket says FAN on them your a U2.com member for the day. SO you line up in the pre-sale line. Period.

If you traded or sold or bought off ebay..your screwed. Thats life.

Hello,
Similar to many Posts we were on the Floor but, alas no Heart last time <My Wife and I have our hearts set on the eclipse.......
However we are lowly GA possesorswith no Presale (Boston)
So we will wait early and as I understand it there are approx.
1,700 GA.s at most Venues of our size (Approx 18,000) capacity

So heres the QUESTION of The Day What is the Capacity of the Eclipse???

I await your estimates and hang together on the floor and be good to eachother for if not we shall all hang seperatly.
apologies to author....:ohmy:

Hello,
Similar to many Posts we were on the Floor but, alas no Heart last time <My Wife and I have our hearts set on the eclipse.......
However we are lowly GA possesors with no Presale (Boston)
So we will wait early and as I understand it there are approx.
1,700 GA.s at most Venues of our size (Approx 18,000) capacity

So heres the QUESTION of The Day What is the Capacity of the Eclipse???

I await your estimates and hang together on the floor and be good to eachother for if not we shall all hang seperatly.
apologies to author....:ohmy:

PhoenixGNX said:

From what I READ...the reason why there's two lines is to let people with pre-sale tickets in quicker as the line SHOULD be shorter.

Neither line has an advantage getting in the elipse. Period.

This makes sense. Since the u2.com line will be shorter, those people who don't get ellipse bands but were in that line will be more likely to get up close outside the ellipse--potentially just as good--because there will be fewer people ahead of them to run past.

This seems like a fair way to give an advantage to u2.com members without directly giving them more access to the ellipse---which would hurt those of us who got GA through the general sale and are still huge fans, but did not or could not pay the $40 for u2.com membership.

There has been a lot of talk on these boards about how "true fans" would not only shell out the 40 bucks, but would also pay hundreds and hundreds for a ticket. But to be fair, there are those of us who are diehard fans like the rest, but simply don't have the means--and it's nice to see that we're not forgotten.

point of two lines for GA

I was at SD opening night and the point of two lines was that U2 fan club folks would get in doors before everyone else. Not that it mattered all that much but it did matter some. But it wasn't at all whgat was sted on-line. Both lines went in at same time but U2.com line was shorter due to maze effects. Bro and I did not score ellipse gold even after waiting for two days but we did get in close enough to be 4 folks back from catwalk. So even if I knew ellipse was random, I would still hang out early for best non-ellipse placement given I'm SHORT and tired of tip-toeing over people who could see just as well behind me!!

What if... I purchased my GA on ebay because I couldn't get a GA thru the pre-sale (got 1 seat on presale). I'm still a fan club member and printed out my membership. Would I qualify for the us.com line or just the general one? Any thoughts?

Lila64 said:
What if... I purchased my GA on ebay because I couldn't get a GA thru the pre-sale (got 1 seat on presale). I'm still a fan club member and printed out my membership. Would I qualify for the us.com line or just the general one? Any thoughts?

Its hard to say. Depends on how strick their being. I could see this going either way. But, if it were me and my luck, I can hear the guy saying, "Sorry, you have a non "fan" ticket.

I failed to mention also that I'm going alone (my friends are sitting up on the side/behind the stage), so I don't know if being alone will work for me. Perhaps I need to dress appropriately, LOL. I'll dig up my 'Boy' shirt... and pray!

Back
Top Bottom