(03-29-2004) U2 is Third Greatest Rock Band Ever - MSNBC*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
The 10 best rock bands ever
A purely subjective list of the groups that changed music forever

By Eric Olsen
MSNBC contributor

When tackling a project as audacious, slippery and fraught with diagnostic peril as ?the 10 best rock bands ever,? one can either cower in anticipation of the monsoon of disagreement sure to come and load the package with every manner of weaselly equivocation, or one can swagger ahead blissfully secure in the universal righteousness of one?s judgment. Being American, I choose the latter.

3. U2
Ireland?s U2 is the most important and influential band of the post-punk era, joining ringing guitar rock, punkish independence, Celtic spirituality, innovative production techniques and electronic experimentalism ? all held together by singer/lyricist Bono?s transcendent vision and charisma.

U2 ? Bono (Paul Hewson), guitarist the Edge (Dave Evans), bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen ? formed in Dublin in 1976 as a Beatles and Stones cover band while the players were all still in high school. In 1980 they were signed to Island Records and released their spectacular first album, ?Boy,? produced by Steve Lillywhite.

The band?s sparkling, radiant sound jumped from the grooves from the first note of ?I Will Follow? and rode Mullen?s massive drums and the Edge?s angular, careening guitar into history. Neither ?Boy? nor its follow-up ?October? (with the glorious ?Gloria?) tore up the charts at the time (though both are now platinum), but ?War? ? passionate, martial ?Sunday Bloody Sunday,? melodic wailing ?New Year?s Day,? and the fierce, new wavy love song ?Two Hearts Beat As One??turned U2 into a worldwide phenomenon in 1983.

In preparation for 1984?s ?The Unforgettable Fire,? producer Brian Eno had a long conversation with Bono, as he later told Q Magazine. ?I said, ?Look, if I work with you, I will want to change lots of things you do, because I?m not interested in records as a document of a rock band playing on stage, I?m more interested in painting pictures. I want to create a landscape within which this music happens.? And Bono said, ?Exactly, that?s what we want too.??

The results of this fateful change of direction were Eno productions of U2 standards ?The Unforgettable Fire? (including ?Bad,? ?Pride In the Name of Love?); Grammy?s 1987 Album of the Year, the personal yet universal ?The Joshua Tree,? which made the band superstars (with ?Where the Streets Have No Name,? ?I Still Haven?t Found What I?m Looking For,? ?With Or Without You? and ?One Tree Hill?); 1991's ?Achtung Baby,? a brilliant and emotionally dark move toward electronica (?Even Better Than the Real Thing,? ?One,? ?Until the End of the World,? ?Who?s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses? and ?Mysterious Ways?); and ?Zooropa,? deeper still into Euro-dance music and electronics (?93, with the title track, ?Numb,? ?Lemon,? ?Stay?). Wow, what a journey.

U2 was the leading rock band of the '80s because its members, like perhaps only Bruce Springsteen in the U.S., still believed that rock ?n? roll could save the world, and they had the talent to make that notion not seem hopelessly naive.

This earnestness and willingness to shoulder the heaviest of responsibilities led to soaring heights of achievement and escalating psychic and artistic demands that eventually led the band to adopt irony as its basic means of expression for a time in the '90s.

All bands want to be cool, and in the '80s U2 almost single-handedly made earnestness cool, but it was hard, relentless work. After the gritty, chunky guitars-and-idealism of the '80s, the '90s saw the diaphanous chill of electronics-and-irony, which was literally and metaphorically cool, but ultimately not what the band is about.

?All That You Can?t Leave Behind? (?00) returned to what the band is about, and is the sonic and spiritual follow up to the ?The Joshua Tree,? the band?s most idealistic, spiritual and melodically consistent album.

Remnants of the band?s forays into electronics seasoned the album (especially the impressionistic ?New York?), but the Edge?s guitar returned to center stage where his unique, chiming style belongs, though it never upstages the songs, every one of which is blessed with a memorable tune.

Following the ecstatic release of the opening track ?Beautiful Day,? the second song ?Stuck In a Moment You Can?t Get Out Of,? states a seemingly modest but deeply profound, earnest and idealistic notion:

?I?m just trying to find a decent melody
A song I can sing in my own company?

They have found it and then some. U2 is now a mature, confident, still amazing band that knows it doesn?t have all the answers, but isn?t afraid to keep asking the right questions.

To read the rest of this article, please visit:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4595384/

Many thanks to Mullen-Girl!

Well, I would still like to see someone put U2 as #1 - but I'll accept #3.:love:

I just can't wait to see U2 inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame! It will be one of the best days of my life! :yes:

Peace and Love. everyone! And THANK YOU U2 for being a Force of Love and Light in a world so desparate to find its way Home! :hug: :up: :heart: :wave:

No mention of POP? :eyebrow:

Oh well.

The rest of the Top 10 are:
1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. U2
4. The Grateful Dead
5. The Velvet Underground
6. Led Zeppelin
7. The Ramones
8. Pink Floyd
9. Bob Marley and the Wailers
10. Sly and the Family Stone

I like how the author used a more liberal definition of rock to include Marley and Sly. The only one I don't agree with on there is The Ramones. I also like how the author didn't just include bands that had enormous financial success, but were actually "the best" (ie Velvet Underground).

This guy knows what he's talking about. :up:

:yes: :love: :up: :applaud:

Wow this is great!:dance:

Remeber what I said: Someday they will be first.:)

Thank you guys for what u have done. :bow:

Shouldn?t a fairer list separate bands from individual artists?
Shouldn?t a fairer list separate the historical influence from the actual quality of the work? Of course no band can touch the historical impact of The Beatles. And does fact play too large of role of almost automatically shooting The Beatles to the top?

CRITERIA
Range Of Songs: Rock / Mid-tempo / Ballads / Epic Pieces. U2 has done it all and excellently.
Growth & Exploration & Innovation: The same old thing over and over? Not U2.
Range Of Subjects: U2 has and can do it all (life = politics / spirituality / relationships / individual struggle and development / social justice). Have not The Stones been limited to mostly ?Sex Drugs & Rock N? Roll?? Does The Who top The Stones here?
Studio and Live: U2 beats The Beatles? Who was a better live band The Stones or The Who?
Vocals: Difficult to top Bono?
Lyrics: Difficult to top Bono?
Guitar:
Rhythm Section:
Longevity & Consistency:

Can U2 beat The Beatles at this point? Or do they need another JT / AB to do it?
Does The Who finish ahead of The Stones?

In the light of this subject - the only thing I would like to see from U2 on their next album or next 2 albums is another 2 great ballads. Does Staring At The Sun and Stuck In A Moment stand up well in their own right and in comparison to WOWY and One? Does Staring At The Sun and Stuck In A Moment even stand up well against All I Want Is You and Stay?

great list, a lot of legendary rock bands, i agree maybe a little more youth, but this is a solid list. better than those mtv and vh1 lists (even though u2 are always on the top of those also),

I've got a feeling that U2 are definetly the most important group for the past twenty years, no doubt about that, there has been no other group with their band members in their 40's that have a new material album (ie All That You Can't Leave Behind) selling 14-15 million copies worldwide. No other group has ever done that. The Rolling Stones have not released a credible album of new material since the late seventies. Radiohead should definetly be on this list for being one of the most innovative bands of the past 10 years. But yes U2 deserve to be right up there. In my eyes the best group but thats my opinion. Jimi Hendrix Experience should be in there as well for sure.

The rest of the Top 10 are:
1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. U2
4. The Grateful Dead
5. The Velvet Underground
6. Led Zeppelin
7. The Ramones
8. Pink Floyd
9. Bob Marley and the Wailers
10. Sly and the Family Stone

Hm. I'd have to ask where the Clash, the Who and Jimi Hendrix are? I think the Who top a good 60% of the bands on the list..and although the Ramones did it first, the clash did it better. The grateful dead seem to be known mainly for their live stuff, I dont know that I could name one of their albums. I am really going to have to disagree with Sly and the Family stone..if I had anyone of that genre on it'd be Marvin Gaye :heart:

The Beatles are always number one on lists like this!I have given up on thinking u2 can best them!I would love to see it just once but its never gonna happen(not that I don;t like The Beatles its just so predictible).Whats the point of this lists when we all know who #1 will be?!

DaveC said:
No mention of POP? :eyebrow:

That's what I said after I read the article! I think POP is a vastly underrated album and was ahead of its time. It's got some great bass lines, some ultra chill tunes, raw energy, and many beautiful moments. I think maybe the spectacle of the tour overshadowed the music at some points, but as I listen to POP more and more, it's one that definitely won't ever collect dust on the shelf.

Last edited:
WOW! U2 is no.3? I think usually after Beatles and Stones either Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd are mentioned in debates like these.

Interesting list, but I'd replace Ramones, Grateful dead and Sly and the family stone with Clash, the Who and REM. (the Doors? and if we're going younger bands, Nirvana? Radiohead?)

What is Bob Marley doing in a top rock band list? :shrug:

*edit* Also, no Springsteen&E street band?

Last edited:
I'm just sick of the Beatles being number one. I honestly do not see what's special about them unless you're trying to figure out the origins of today's boybands. I certainly feel U2 should be number one, with Pink Floyd in two.

I'm not fussed about the lack of younger bands - you can't really tell who's going to stay or not until they actually HAVE, like U2's done.

He did write it quite well although I agree, where *is* POP?

I don't mind ranking the Beatles first. I think U2 would put them up there as well. Not a big Rolling Stones fan though.

The Beatles started out as pin ups but they became much more because of their talented and innovative song writing. No matter how you cut it, many of the bands including U2 got inspiration and more from the Beatles. And also, just because a lot of their songs were shiny pop tunes doesn't make them worse. It can actually be harder to write a good upbeat song then to fuel dark emotions into some melancholy/ironic music. But then you have songs like My Guitar Gently Weeps - a stunner simply because it is gentle and almost sweet but heart wrenching at the same time. It like many Beatles songs is one in a million.

In the end, I never liked ranking things anyway.

Last edited:
I, for one, am glad someone finally acknowledged the Grateful Dead on a list. They are a live band almost exclusively, evidenced by posts such as "I couldn't name one Grateful Dead album". GD is the band that turned me on to the live experience. I understand why some of you would disagree with them being on the list, but just because you don't know them, doesn't minimalize their greatness. This is actually the first list I have ever seen that has pooled all my favorites from the past and present: U2, GD, Led Zep, and Pink Floyd. Add Metalica to that list and you would have my favorite high school band too (ah, the late eighties). My major phases have been u2>led zep>metallica>floyd>GD>U2. It has been a cycle, and I have a soft spot in my heart for all these bands. Can't say I listen to Metallica much anymore these days (or haven't in the past 8 years), but I am sure one day I will re-appreciate them.

and this is my first post, so don't be too hard on me ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom