(03-28-2005) More Reports From Saturday's Dress Rehearsal -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
More Reports From Saturday's Dress Rehearsal

Editor's Note: A friend of Interference.com's who was lucky enough to get into Saturday's dress rehearsal in Los Angeles passed along the following report on the evening:

They opened the doors to the arena for the 300-ish winners around 6pm and "someone" said they let everyone (about 200 people) standing around outside in to watch the show as well. There were 200/300 fans seated on either side of the "egg" at mid-court. No one I spoke with could hear Bono's vocals in the mix - the others sounded great and well balanced, but we couldn't hear Bono in the cavernous empty Sport Arena. Also, Edge was having "effects" problems in a few songs and held a lengthy discussion with his tech as the rest played "Pride" - causing Bono to hilariously remark "Come on Edge, the whole civil rights movement is counting on you!" Larry and Adam each played keyboards once during the set - a first for both, I believe. Surprisingly, the show was still in a rough-rehearsal mode, although some of it was 100% stunning - even for U2. Word is that they rehearsed twice as many songs as they played, so you know the list will change...

City of Blinding Lights
The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart (this didn't work too well)
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else (rocked real hard)
Elevation (rocked!)
Stuck in a Moment...
Yahweh
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still

(break for human rights video)

Zoo Station (rocked real hard - Bono also did his "Fly" dance)
The Fly (played like ZooTV version - no slow intro)
Vertigo (at end, Bono called out "One - One" and the band immediately started playing the song again as he vamped lyrics from the very old "Stories for Boys")

(break)

Pride (big problems w/Edge's guitar)
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
All Because of You

Song notes:

* during "Love and Peace or Else", Larry is at the edge of the egg when the song starts, playing drums & singing with Bono there; during the middle of the song, he goes back to the main stage and drums from there, while Bono drums at the edge of the egg
* "40" is performed like in the old days: each band member leaves the stage one-at-a-time, and Larry ends the show with a brief drum solo

Stage notes:

* very simple stage, clean - just Larry's drums, Edge's stuff, keyboards, and lots of room for Bono to move around
* 3-level video screen
* main stage is shaped like the "Vertigo" spirals
* the "egg" extends further out onto the floor than the Elevation "heart" did
* there's no b-stage at the far end of the egg, but there is enough room for the band to play, just like on the Elevation Tour
* weird beaded-curtain-of-lights backdrop used occasionally

i tried so hard to win the "tickets" for the dress rehearsal on the radio station...i wanna kick myself for not going down to the l.a. sports arena. oh well, i am going to see them tonight anyway, and again up close (GA) this friday.

Back
Top Bottom