(03-24-2006) The White Man's Burden -- LA Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good

William Easterly
Penguin: 436 pp. $27.95

Review by Daniel Kurtz-Phelan

Late last December, Time magazine put the face of Bono on its cover and declared him, along with Bill and Melinda Gates, a "person of the year." The pick had nothing to do with the increasingly banal musical output of an aging rock legend. Instead, it was for having "persuaded the world's leaders to take on global poverty," as the magazine's editors grandly put it. "We've been doing this for a few years — pretending this is the one, this is the leap," Bono told Time. "And in fact, this year was the one."

Getting the world's attention is one thing but, as William Easterly argues, getting results is an entirely different matter.

"It is great that rock stars donate their time for the needy and desperate," he writes in "The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good." "Unfortunately, the West already has a bad track record [with] previous beautiful goals." Indeed, Bono seems to offer a prime example of what Easterly calls "the second tragedy" of the world's poor. The first tragedy is that 3 billion people live on less than $2 a day, 800 million people do not have enough to eat, and 10 million children die from easily preventable diseases every year; the second is that so many well-intentioned schemes to help them have so utterly failed.

"This is the tragedy," Easterly states, "in which the West spent $2.3 trillion on foreign aid over the last five decades ... and still had not managed to get four-dollar bed nets to poor families" to help combat malaria.

Although his combative, crackling prose might not suggest it, Easterly is a respected economist who spent almost 20 years working on development projects for the World Bank. In 2001, he published the book "The Elusive Quest for Growth," an incisive analysis of why poor countries remain poor despite all the efforts by institutions like the World Bank, and wrote a newspaper op-ed on the same topic — and was subsequently dismissed. According to bank officials, he had failed to follow the organization's publishing guidelines. But most observers couldn't help thinking that Easterly was being punished for his heresy.

"The White Man's Burden" serves as a coda to that incident, and in the intervening years, something has happened (besides his getting fired) to make Easterly — now affiliated with New York University and the Center for Global Development — even angrier about the West's approach to foreign aid.

After declining through the 1990s, aid to poor countries has made a comeback since 2000. With Bono among those leading the charge, rich countries have started to again talk about their "mission" and "responsibility" to rescue the world's poor. Jeffrey Sachs, the Columbia University economist whom Bono calls "my professor," has been traveling the world arguing that "success in ending the poverty trap will be much easier than it appears." Less than $200 billion a year in aid from rich countries, he proclaims, would completely eradicate extreme poverty — which afflicts the 1 billion people who get by on less than a dollar a day — by 2025.

If it were so easy, Easterly shoots back, we would have done it long ago.

After all, scores of institutions have devoted themselves to the cause of economic development over the last 50 years. Countless heads of state have pledged to end poverty in 10 or 15 or 25 years. Africa has received some $600 billion in aid in the last four decades. Yet many of its inhabitants are worse off than they were in 1960.

The $4-bed-net problem, a hot topic in foreign-aid circles these days, is telling. Every year, a million people die of malaria, a preventable, treatable disease that has been eradicated from all but the world's most destitute regions. Because malaria is transmitted by mosquitoes, aid advocates offer a simple solution: hand out insecticide-treated bed nets to the poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Easterly rushes to point out that it's not that simple. "If bed nets are such an effective cure, why hadn't [aid agencies] already gotten them to the poor?" he asks, noting that they "are often diverted to the black market, become out of stock in health clinics, or wind up being used as fishing nets or wedding veils."

Easterly is not, however, opposed to foreign aid, despite the vitriol and occasional sarcasm of his critique. It's not as if he thinks the developed world shouldn't help the developing world; it's that he sees the predominant approach to doing so as fundamentally flawed. Too much attention is paid to what he calls "big plans" instead of "piecemeal solutions." Big plans — the grandiose programs beloved by politicians and rock stars — have sweeping missions like "ending poverty" that overlook the more specific needs of the poor. Piecemeal solutions are small scale and local, responsive to circumstances on the ground and devoted to narrow goals. In fact, Easterly suggests, "the right plan is to have no plan."

The basic problem with big aid, as Easterly describes it, is that it is utopian — of a piece with the high-minded hubris that has driven the United States to deliver democracy to others at the point of a gun (and that underpinned the original, more openly imperialist "white man's burden" of a century ago). Poor countries, according to this vision, need just one "big push" from foreign donors to start down the path to prosperity and escape extreme poverty forever. Unfortunately, it is questionable whether there is any single country where aid has played a significant role in jump-starting economic growth: Most of the major success stories of the last half-century have come in countries that received relatively little aid and that, more important, followed paths that diverged from development orthodoxy in key ways. Ultimately, whether a country manages to grow has to do with conditions — good government prominent among them — over which outside actors have little control. The great anomaly of sub-Saharan Africa, for example, has been Botswana (though not with regard to AIDS). It has enjoyed some of the strongest economic growth in the world mostly because it has a more-or-less well-functioning democratic government that has shrewdly used natural-resource wealth to reduce poverty.

This is why giving foreign aid the mission of ending poverty is like having, as Easterly puts it, "the goal that your cow will win the Kentucky Derby." Setting grand, impossible goals means that there is little accountability for results. The rich world's desire to tell itself that "something is being done" ends up outweighing its interest in making sure that the "something" is actually making a difference.

Easterly does not exactly prove that foreign aid has caused "so much ill," as his subtitle sneers. But he provides plenty of examples of grandly conceived, misguided pursuits sucking up resources that would have been better spent on smaller projects. One of his most provocative attacks is on a highly publicized sacred cow, AIDS programs. The self-importance of rich countries, he argues, has led them to direct their efforts in stupid ways: toward giving AIDS patients anti-retroviral drugs to alleviate "what the West considers the most dramatic kind of suffering" instead of supporting prevention programs like handing out condoms and educating prostitutes. "If money spent on treatment went instead to effective prevention," he writes, "between three and seventy-five new HIV infections could be averted for every year of life given to an AIDS patient."

The trade-off in this case is particularly acute because healthcare is one area (primary education is another) in which aid has helped tremendously, as Easterly acknowledges. A vaccination drive in southern Africa essentially eliminated measles (a major killer in poor countries), and an "oral rehydration therapy" campaign in Egypt reduced childhood deaths from diarrhea (also a major killer) by more than 80%. For Easterly, these are examples of what aid should be: narrowly focused, responsive to conditions on the ground and accountable for results. Thanks to such programs, the developing world has seen recent massive improvements in childhood mortality and average life spans even as incomes have stagnated.

Of course, the utopian advocates of a "big push to end poverty" cite many of the same programs as models for their proposals. Sachs' book "The End of Poverty" — which Easterly savaged in a review in the Washington Post last year — touts some of the same projects "The White Man's Burden" does, an irony unnoted by Easterly. The disagreement between their views has less to do with what effective projects look like than with how to create more — how to motivate the wealthy to pay the bill and how to ensure that those carrying them out get results.

In the end, Easterly's curmudgeonly realism and Bono's earnest cheerleading may be more complementary than either side acknowledges. Easterly's call for a more modest, results-oriented approach to aid is dead-on, but it would be a moot point without the enthusiasm and advocacy with which Bono and those like him raise interest in (and money for) aid in the first place. So it's hardly fair to say that rock stars do nothing for the fight against poverty: Were it not for their preaching, Easterly's important book would probably never have been written.

Daniel Kurtz-Phelan is a senior editor of Foreign Affairs.

--Los Angeles Times

I have so many comments on this book that I think I'll wait until I can compose them concisely and logically.

I think the article's last sentence says it all: were it not for Bono's preaching about extreme poverty, this guy's book wouldn't even probably be paid attention to.

:ohmy:

Interesting article. I can't say that I agree with everything this guy has to say, however, I think that he gives a calm, rational argument for his point of view, which is a good thing. Well thought out debate can be a really useful thing when thinking about big issues like this...what annoys the heck out of me are people who have nooo idea what Bono is doing and yet throw out random criticism based on nothing but some stereotype.

I do think that the relief efforts of today take a lot of flak due to some of the less successful efforts of the past. People think "Africa" and "aid" and it brings to mind all those stories you heard about food rotting in warehouses in the 80s. And I'm not really clear on what this author proposes we do instead of trying to help. Yes, he mentions small projects to help with small-scale local issues but, from this article at least, it almost sounds as if he thinks there's nothing that can be done to help on a large scale.

Time for a little heresy-as-perspective. The issues discussed in this article are way too complicated and multifaceted for a message board, but folks have to understand a few things. Even as a fan who loves them, there have been a few things about U2 that have irked me over the years, and one is their acting like they are the first ones to discover something when they are one of the last. They have always been naive and unsophisticated in many ways, especially musically, and when they come across something that they never knew about that others have known and taken for granted for years, they come off like they've discovered the wheel. They have also dissed or dismissed things that they clearly don't understand. You can't expect people who have spent their lives working in economics and on the subject of global poverty in obscurity to take kindly to Bono spouting what he's learned from a few textbooks and Saks as if it is something new, startling and revolutionary. That resentment takes form in cracks like the ones we've just read. It's galling but understandable. And it may be the beginning of the backlash that no one wants to see coming. But Bono is getting a little carried away. It's damn difficult to negotiate the line of not letting the right hand know what the left hand is doing when some of his chief currency is celebrity, but if Bono has convinced himself that these endless turkey-assed awards he and the band have been receiving are acceptable because they get his message across, he's fooling himself. With each award, he loses credibility, whether his fans want to accept it or not, because the spotlight is then on him, not on Africa, or extreme poverty, or economic justice. And the routine is getting old, he's repeating himself, and even people who don't follow the band are tired of hearing the same stories and quotes. Compassion fatigue is more contagious than strep throat in a preschool, and interest in fighting for justice pales drastically in contrast to dozing off in a Barcalounger with a plate of Hot Pockets in your lap. The boy is on a slippery slope, and stuff like this may just be the beginning, unless he gets a grip.

Ralphie said:
Interesting article. I can't say that I agree with everything this guy has to say, however, I think that he gives a calm, rational argument for his point of view, which is a good thing. Well thought out debate can be a really useful thing when thinking about big issues like this...what annoys the heck out of me are people who have nooo idea what Bono is doing and yet throw out random criticism based on nothing but some stereotype.

I do think that the relief efforts of today take a lot of flak due to some of the less successful efforts of the past. People think "Africa" and "aid" and it brings to mind all those stories you heard about food rotting in warehouses in the 80s. And I'm not really clear on what this author proposes we do instead of trying to help. Yes, he mentions small projects to help with small-scale local issues but, from this article at least, it almost sounds as if he thinks there's nothing that can be done to help on a large scale.

Good response, Ralphie. :yes:

I bet the 400,000+ people who are now on ARV therapies to prolong their lives in Africa due to Bono's advocacy efforts are glad that Bono is doing what he's doing.

People are too quick to criticize and ride the crest of someone else's popularity to publicize their own book that they lose their own credibility in the process.

KUDOS FOR BONO! :up:

FEELINNUMB said:

But Bono is getting a little carried away. It's damn difficult to negotiate the line of not letting the right hand know what the left hand is doing when some of his chief currency is celebrity, but if Bono has convinced himself that these endless turkey-assed awards he and the band have been receiving are acceptable because they get his message across, he's fooling himself. With each award, he loses credibility, whether his fans want to accept it or not, because the spotlight is then on him, not on Africa, or extreme poverty, or economic justice.

I couldn't disagree more. These awards may seem "piddly" to you and me, but with each award and with each speech Bono delivers, comes media coverage and more people are made aware of what's going on over in Africa. Bono is using his celebrity to get his point across.

Even as a fan who loves them, there have been a few things about U2 that have irked me over the years, and one is their acting like they are the first ones to discover something when they are one of the last. They have always been naive and unsophisticated in many ways, especially musically, and when they come across something that they never knew about that others have known and taken for granted for years, they come off like they've discovered the wheel.

Once again you are totally off-base. U2 as a band has grown from being simple to being complex by, for the most part, blazing their own trail through the musical landscape. U2 has its own unique sound in large part because they chose to dismiss the flavor of the day and go their own way. Sometimes they have pushed the envelope the wrong direction and failed, but at least they have dared to try. And that's just the studio stuff.. live no one can touch them. They have single-handedly revolutionized the way we view concerts. Every band in the world emulates what U2 does in concerts - from Zoo TV all the way to today's amazing Vertigo Tour. Zoo TV, Popmart, ELevation and Vertigo are "Rock Concert 101, 102, 103 and 104" for every other band on the planet.

That comment really angered me in a way. Nowhere will you find a rock band that has been more innovative in so many different ways than U2.

I'm too sleepy to be able to come up with any great insights or messages from this review. However, I must disagree with this phrase:

" . . . the increasingly banal musical output of an aging rock legend . . . ."

FEELINNUMB said:
Time for a little heresy-as-perspective. The issues discussed in this article are way too complicated and multifaceted for a message board, but folks have to understand a few things. Even as a fan who loves them, there have been a few things about U2 that have irked me over the years, and one is their acting like they are the first ones to discover something when they are one of the last. They have always been naive and unsophisticated in many ways, especially musically, and when they come across something that they never knew about that others have known and taken for granted for years, they come off like they've discovered the wheel. They have also dissed or dismissed things that they clearly don't understand. You can't expect people who have spent their lives working in economics and on the subject of global poverty in obscurity to take kindly to Bono spouting what he's learned from a few textbooks and Saks as if it is something new, startling and revolutionary. That resentment takes form in cracks like the ones we've just read. It's galling but understandable. And it may be the beginning of the backlash that no one wants to see coming. But Bono is getting a little carried away. It's damn difficult to negotiate the line of not letting the right hand know what the left hand is doing when some of his chief currency is celebrity, but if Bono has convinced himself that these endless turkey-assed awards he and the band have been receiving are acceptable because they get his message across, he's fooling himself. With each award, he loses credibility, whether his fans want to accept it or not, because the spotlight is then on him, not on Africa, or extreme poverty, or economic justice. And the routine is getting old, he's repeating himself, and even people who don't follow the band are tired of hearing the same stories and quotes. Compassion fatigue is more contagious than strep throat in a preschool, and interest in fighting for justice pales drastically in contrast to dozing off in a Barcalounger with a plate of Hot Pockets in your lap. The boy is on a slippery slope, and stuff like this may just be the beginning, unless he gets a grip.

:up: :up: I agree. Sometimes I wished people would stop looking at Bono like he's a saint.

dsmith2904 said:
In the end, Easterly's curmudgeonly realism and Bono's earnest cheerleading may be more complementary than either side acknowledges. Easterly's call for a more modest, results-oriented approach to aid is dead-on, but it would be a moot point without the enthusiasm and advocacy with which Bono and those like him raise interest in (and money for) aid in the first place. So it's hardly fair to say that rock stars do nothing for the fight against poverty: Were it not for their preaching, Easterly's important book would probably never have been written.
--Los Angeles Times

:bow: I do believe this author actually gets "it"!!! Thank you! :bow:

(Even though he fails to fully acknowledge Bono's "realism" as well.)

I feel like this article is saying the author of this book is right on and making great strides in his campaign for change, and that altho Bono campaigns for the same aid and change, Bono is more the activist/cheerleader/messenger. Bono is not being given fair credit for what he has done in his campaigning. I'm not thrilled with it or some of the comments about U2 and their music. I've read much better articles.

FEELINNUMB said:

I'm not sure which is a bigger pile of crap - the article (which I already knew was biased as soon as he drearily wrote "banal output of an aging rock legend") or the nonsense you just spewed.

What I don't get is why so many people feel that Bono should just be a musician and that's that. Tell me - are you only one thing? I'm a scientist. But I also love art. I love children. I love dogs. Am I only supposed to do science? Dare I get involved in anything else?

Also, what makes an expert an expert? Have any of these so-called "experts" in econimics actually been to Africa? Have they actually seen what money can or cannot do? Bono's efforts aren't about "throwing money" at the situation. In fact, if that's all he wanted, I'd be opposed as well. This has been done in the past and it doesn't work - corrupt dictators or poor to no infrastructure doesn't allow the money to work. Bono's plan is called DATA for a reason - it's debt relief, but it's also about AIDS and trade. It's about allowing countries to rely on themselves so that the "white man" no longer feels this "burden". But of course, that's often overlooked. Economists state that $$ isn't the issue. And they are right - but what suggestions are they making? What hope are they providing? They, like you, criticize Bono, but do nothing.

But at the same time, Bono is a musician and a highly respected one. Just because one doesn't like U2's current work doesn't mean it's "fact". I don't happen to be a big fan of "October", JT or "Pop". So what - this is person taste. Throwing an insult at the band for YOUR opinion of their music only weakens an argument. This is why the author of the article seriously needed an editor - insults never prove a point. Meaningless insults based on personal opinion that aren't germane to the topic at hand are even worse. This is writing 101 - it's a shame so many "authors" apparently fell asleep in that class. Nevertheless, as Bono is a musician, he may win awards. Does this belittle his efforts in other areas? If I win an award for science, does this diminish the effort I put in with children?

Lastly, if Bono suddenly jumped on some "charity bandwagon", I'd be applauding your words. It would indeed seem like Bono was just trying to gain attention so that U2's albums sell better (as some critics have stated). But U2 has been doing this for years. They've donated proceeds from numerous singles to charities. They've sponsored charities, allowing these organizations to even be present at their concerts (and Bono has spoken openly about them). Bono has always preached - a quick glance at R&H will prove this. This is who Bono is. He has been consistent. He has always played the dual role of musician and preacher/crusader. It's this dichotomy that endures fans to U2. It's helped U2 come across as sincere - even in their ZOO TV days - when other bands seemed more into the "sex, drugs and rock'n'roll lifestyle".

So, before you dismiss U2's latest album, before you harp about them winning awards, before you lash out at Bono's charity - think. Realize that Bono's actions aren't new - in fact, they are more focused than ever. Realize that Bono is doing something - whereas most are writing articles saying it's all for nought. Realize that many fans feel that U2 is producing superior work - even better than some past "classics". Realize that the awards U2 are winning are indicative that their peers agree.

But if you still disagree - then do something better. If you can find a better way to help millions of people, the world is all ears.

Re: Re: (03-24-2006) The White Man's Burden -- LA Times*

whitehead said:

:bow: I do believe this author actually gets "it"!!! Thank you! :bow:

(Even though he fails to fully acknowledge Bono's "realism" as well.)

I disagree - I don't think the author or Easterly "get it" at all. Bono's DATA is about results. He's opposed to giving money to dictatorial regimes. He is about seeing how the money is being spent and used. He's about AIDS treatment. He's about fair trade.

It seems these men are more about a "wait and see" or "do nothing" or "well, we'll give a little - but only if..." type of approach. This has already been done. This, to me, is just as bad as throwing money at the solution and hoping it goes away. One reason I support Bono so much now is because I feel DATA is truly the right approach.

But I guess if some so-called "expert" knows better, then we should all listen. I'll gladly hear him out - if he's willing to do all the work Bono has done to get at least some attention drawn to the subject. But it's far easier to criticize and then relax than actually make a real difference. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna wait til the light of day to look thru people's comments and re-read this 'review', but it sounds like both the book writer and the reviewer are coming from a very very "small" place.

The reviewer's own conclusion seems to be that Easterly is just sorta 'pissed' about the campaign title...the "make poverty history" grand scheme feel to it. And so is the reviewer, who seems also to just not like U2 and that takes away from his credibility rather obviously I think.

The reviewer responsibly points out that for all his bitterness and curmudgeonliness, Easterly is on the same page about a lot of the programs as Sachs/ Bono are (though I must say, the 'grand scheme failure' of giving AIDS drugs to people instead of spending more money on prevention seems ridiculous as well as cold and heartless to me.. but I guess he'd know how to make good prevention programs in societies with huge stigma attached to condom use. Maybe he has some ideas for good programs to end the problem in Zimbabwe of girls getting raped because men dying of AIDS think unprotected sex with a virgin will cure them, all without actually giving them ARV drugs, and don't forget all the babies born with HIV now, teachers, fathers, mothers who will die without the drugs. And of course, the huge TB problem for people living in close-space slums especially, made worse because of HIV-suppressed immune systems), and also points out that *Easterly fails to disclose this* fact, that many of the kinds of programs he touts as being better are in large part the ones Bono and his mates are interested in funding as well.

That's such a big indictment of his book that it kinda makes it sound like one of those Ann Coulter rants for rantingssake.

So, if it's all a matter of difference of opinion in "marketing" the idea of aid, and it's not about showing us all how aid actually has *hurt* africa over the years, then it amounts to a big whining session about how Easterly doesn't like big rock stars trying to get out a big idea so that millions of people sign up and speak out and say they've had e-fucking-nuf of the misery experienced by those living in the "stupidest poverty". Yeah, the slogans are a shorthand...Easterly should get over it already and find something useful to do if he really cares.

Speaking of simple, non-grand schemes... and stupid, relatively easy-to-address poverty concerns, how about (I don't really know much about bonos' work in this regard, just that it's one of his projects, right?)....WATER!?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...060315/ap_on_re_af/kenya_fighting_for_water_1

Still dealing in an immediate way with what I'm learning from my brother-in-law's experiences on the ground trying to get aid to the MILLIONS who are on the verge of starvation and losing what little they have in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, due to drought...

the linked story focuses on the nomadic people there, but everyone is affected, crops have not done well so staples get more expensive, and those of more modest means can't afford food, etc. And that's just in addition to the problems everyone but those in the wealthiest sections of the big cities have because there is so little water infrastructure. it's amazing to believe, really, that even people not living as nomadic herders, but instead trying to eke out a meager living in non-rural areas, have to spend a huge chunk of their time carrying vessels to get water for their families...time taken away from schooling, from selling, from parenting. That's if they're lucky enough to have some source of relatively clean water at all nearby.

yeah, governments *are* important...as this article states, the need for these families of pastoralists to face gunbattles to get water for themselves and their livestock wouldn't be there if the Kenyan government provided them with WELLS. It's stated that the Ugandan government at least provides their pastoralists with ammo and guns ...it's left unclear whether WELLS are part of the package they get from their government.

Somalia is such a mess aid workers can't get in, and one of the reasons the drought is so bad, worse than ususal in a region prone to them, is the *severe* deforestation (it's not really forest land, of course, but the cutting down of the trees there are actually present, the acacia etc...) by Somali people once the central government fell. It used to be outlawed to cut down trees for making *charcoal* to sell for 5 dollars a bag to folks supplying the market for barbeques in Saudi Arabia, but since the gov't fell apart there it has been going on bigtime and it is taking away an important *rain-producing and water-retaining* aspect of the ecosystem there.

But in lieu of helping to encourage democratic governments like the one that he claims exists in Botswana ( I am ignorant) by offering aid tied to good government...something Bono and Sachs advocates strongly...what does Easterly suggest we do?
Go in with white-man's burden of tanks? or just let people die until they storm their governments demanding reform themselves?

I hope he's not into the privitization crap...lots of good that has done...making water a commodity to be profitable (or not, so as this article states they're pulling out...http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1736592,00.html) by private companies instead of helping to create municipal systems with government (only the trust-worthy ones, and only with monies targeted for these uses and monitored to be sure they are being used for such) and making sure everyone gets served.

Even the title is a nasty divisiveness..."white man's burden"...blech. You'd think this guy is really a marxist or theorist about the effects of colonialism, but I don't get that sense so far...just pissy and not really wanting to engage in conversation to boot.

what a load of crap...I hope his 'burden' has been lessened by writing the book, but from the sound of it I don't think we'll learn how to help anyone...

Last edited:
FEELINNUMB said:
Time for a little heresy-as-perspective. The issues discussed in this article are way too complicated and multifaceted for a message board,.
ya know, you make an interesting point about why the campaign slogans have to be "simple". If regular folk like we "message board" readers get blown out of the water by discussion on which policies work and which don't, then addressing this huge...I think Bono has used this term...hemmorhaging of life in Africa can't be done except by policy wonks. But if the politicians don't feel pressure from regular folk like us to *do something* about it, then it'll keep going. Bono's rhetoric has always been about that, and he's educated himself...you can do it too! if you don't want to, that's fine too, but I don't think one can reasonably claim it's an "inappropriate" activity, no?....so that his appeals to the elite and to the masses have some weight to them...
exactly *not* the miss-america "I want to end world hunger" smile and wink to the judges.
It's a risk he takes to do it; I don't think it's a heresy to talk about his activities and disagree about them......:wink:

I just don't happen to agree with you about the turkey-assed awards...
do you mean the Time thing? or the nobel peace prize noms?
I don't think he runs a campaign to get those...

the spotlight is already on him as a bigass rock star, and though I really hated the picture of him on the cover with the Gates', I think it only takes the spotlight off Africa when people get all bent out of shape about how it's a rockstar doing the lobbying.

I actually think that "compassion fatigue" would be worse if it were just endless pictures of all the dying people, don't you?!
Bono in many ways serves to try and make it "cool" to give a shit about what happens in Africa, instead of relying on the limited supply of armchair compassion. that's why he didn't ask for your money, he asked for your voice with the Live8 thing, he and geldof did. His stuff with the Red campaign will do the same...let you 'vote' for aid and programs to end this bleeding with your selection of jeans, if you're so inclined. maybe some will say fuck no, give me the ones that are made by child labor and don't help get wells built for people who are thirsty and getting dysentary from crap in their water supply because I really don't like it when rockstars support such causes.

I think they might be in the minority though, just like people who might say give me ozone-destroying coal instead of cleaner-burning fuel, or give me more nukes instead of solar energy etc, because those damned artists who play at anti-nuke music festivals are soo full of shit...they say the same things over and over man...:blahblah: :wink:

cheers!

Last edited:
After all, scores of institutions have devoted themselves to the cause of economic development over the last 50 years. Countless heads of state have pledged to end poverty in 10 or 15 or 25 years. Africa has received some $600 billion in aid in the last four decades. Yet many of its inhabitants are worse off than they were in 1960.

this is what really drives me crazy - when people start throwing around $$ amounts that have been given to Africa in the past as proof that aid does not work - nowhere is the acknowledgement that a large portion of this aid either went to 'security' or straight into the bank accounts of corrupt dictators (with full knowledge of the West)

just one example:

in the 80s the US supported the corrupt regime of Samuel Doe in Liberia largely because he dutifully spouted Reagan's strident anti-Soviet rhetoric. No matter that he was a brutal dictator who imprisoned and executed anyone who dared to critcize his regime. During his rule - the US gave Liberia $80 million a year in assistance. $40 million alone was spent on the construction of military housing.

I could go on and on with example after example of 'aid' that was never humanitarian, development focused to begin with but is always used as an example of why money doesn't work.

It wasn't until the late 90s that western governments and the world's financial institutions got religion and finally decided that aid should perhaps be tied to good goverence practices.

So yes the developed world's approach to aid has been flawed but it's been flawed because aid has been given to satisfy the political and economic considerations of the donor countries and has not been focused on the basic humanitarian needs of the most impoverished.

I completely agree, Diane.

The countries who have historically given money to African countries and then looked the other way in the instances when the money has been misused are AS COMPLICIT IN THE UNDERDEVELOPMENT OF AFRICA as any one African head of state.

I have to go to a conference today at my campus about Africa given by African professors from the Continenet, so I don't have much time here right now.

I'll post more of my thoughts later.

In a nutshell - this book is WAY off base and knows nothing about the intricacies of Bono's efforts to eliminate extreme poverty from the planet. :eyebrow:

I'm not going to pretend to have the knowledge base required to get into an in-depth analysis of global poverty and how to alleviate it. Because seriously, what do I know? What I do know about Bono's campaign, however, is that:

- He's made a point of meeting with not one but many well educated people who oppose his point of view and learning about their opposing points of view. In general, he's made a point of learning a lot about this subject overall, even though it is (forgive me Jamila, since you study this! And more power to you for that :applaud: ) really, really tedious and dull to most people.

- He's been at this for years and has made a sustained and consistent commitment to his work over time, slowly working his way into the right circles and gaining respect with people who can get things done. This has not been a 'let's do one big show or a make a single impassioned statement on Larry King to make us look oh-so-compassionate' kind of thing. This has involved hours of drudgery behind the scenes over an extended period of time.

- He's been creative in trying new things instead of walking down those same ruts we created in the past. The 'Red' campaign, for example...getting these products into stores to sort of 'capitalize on capitalism' in this fight. Helping to form DATA, which has united so many people who would normally not be involved with something like this.

- Worked on a wide variety of projects...his focus has been small scale local projects as well as 'grander' schemes like debt relief.

Again, I don't expect everyone to agree with what Bono and his supporters are doing. I can't name one major issue in the world that everyone nods politely and agrees on. No one has a magic book on how to help Africa and what exactly will be the absolute best thing...we are still trying and debating and experimenting and learning about these things, and that's great. I'm just saying that I think he fights his corner on these issues very well, you can't accuse him of flying into the situation all dreamy-eyed and uneducated. This person has their point of view, however, given what I wrote above, I find Bono's POV equally valid in this debate.

Also, I don't think it's fair to detract from what he's doing by saying he's won too many awards, people will get tired of him, it's annoying that people think of him as being so great or whatever. It would be one thing if he sought out this kind of treatment, but I've never seen any evidence of that. If people give him awards or see him in a certain light, that's their decision, not his, and I don't see why he should be penalized for it. As for people getting tired of his causes, well...that may happen, but that is a sad statement on human nature and our ability to turn a blind eye, not a criticism of his work.

Whew! I think that was my longest post ever!

Actually, Bono knows that the public has collective ADD. We need to see the next "new" thing to constantly keep these issues in the press.

Congrats to everyone to keeping this first and foremost, issues that are constant!! It continues to inspire new individuals to learn and help...this is the reality.

So I really don't care if there is criticism, awards or the points made of "backlash". Cause it obviously doesn't matter to Bono, other than to raise the constant communication process (which seems to be the goal).

What bothers me is that first, the author criticizes U2's music, calling it "banal". Stick to the topic, moron. I thought you were writing about world poverty. I sense some general Bono hatred there.

Secondly, I think Bono will be one of the first to tell you that past aid has failed and that's what these past years have been about. No more Somalias, no more decorating dictactor's palaces, this is a new era in aid.

Bono is about communication. Criticize all you want but the fact is more people know now and he trusts in the spread of awareness. Why do we always criticize those that help?

Well said, Tennis. And that goes for other Interferencers too - Jamilia, Dr. Who, cypress and a few others.

I haven't read the book but it seems that even though Easterly has SO much experience he really is missing the point. What a shame. :sad:

Easerly's math vs. Sach's math

Easterly: $2.3 trillion in 50 years = $46 billion per year.

Easterly: Africa received $600B in 40 years = $15 Billion per year

Sachs: Is calling for $200 Billion per year for 20 years = $4 trillion.

Sach's makes the point in his book that while the numbers Easterly quotes sound like a lot of money it doesn't compare to what Sach's is calling for. Sach's believes this is the amount needed to get the LDC's on the economic ladder so growth can be sustained. If you look at Easterly's numbers and divide the $45Billion per year among 3 billion people...you get $15/year. That doesn't go far enough...which is why Sachs is calling for more substantial amounts.

"I'm not afriad of anything in this world/there's nothing you can throw at me that I haven't already heard."

Indeed.

The thing that set me off was reading he worked for the *World Bank*. This organization is THE #1 doofus when it comes to aid. I wonder how many of you have done research on the grand scenarios and truly colassal frig-ups the World Bank has done over the decades, esp in places like Sub-Saharan Africa. Marching in there with grand schemes, thinking that they knew best what was good for a country without bothering to get the boots on the ground and go small-scale. Doing things like building huge dams on rivers for irrigation purposes, and 30 yrs later the river silts up and 50% of the farmland is gone. This is what has happened, for example, with the Aswan Dam in Egypt. They thought they could improve upon God's design by not having the Nile flood and disrupt farmers' lives. The farmers have put up with it for milennia. And now look at the economy of Egypt..it's a wonder the place has remained so politically stable. I'm not sure if the Aswan Dam was a WB project but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Getting back to the point....I think Bono is smarter in some regards than many realize. He has become cognizant of the fact that in some aspects (heretical as it may be to say this) without him, the issue dies. And before any of you flame me, think back and see how much media attention and *ACTION* was taken on this issue in 2003-2004, and compare that with the years he was visible and on tour. He has found out that he really *DOES* have to travel the world flogging the issues to death because in a world where the new American Idol winner could bump a massacre in Iraq off the front page (and keep it off for days, or for good) someone of his caliber of celebrity is needed. The public will go back to eating the aforementioned Hot Pockets while watching footage of starving people on TV. These days, it's "reality TV"--it's good entertaniment.

I think, too, what is most remarkable these days is also Bono's (public at least) sense of undiminished hope--as if hope is itself a self-propelling force with a life of its own, irregardless of the facts on the ground.

Show me a cynic who actually has *constructive detailed plans* and does not disprage his fellow advoctates, and I'll have greater respect. I'm sick of self-righteous cynics who at least do not have token praise for those who follow them in their efforts. If this guy was sincere, he would praise Bono's efforts and offer encouragement, while giving *constructive* criticism.

Teta040 said:
"I'm not afriad of anything in this world/there's nothing you can throw at me that I haven't already heard."

Indeed.

The thing that set me off was reading he worked for the *World Bank*. This organization is THE #1 doofus when it comes to aid. I wonder how many of you have done research on the grand scenarios and truly colassal frig-ups the World Bank has done over the decades, esp in places like Sub-Saharan Africa. Marching in there with grand schemes, thinking that they knew best what was good for a country without bothering to get the boots on the ground and go small-scale. Doing things like building huge dams on rivers for irrigation purposes, and 30 yrs later the river silts up and 50% of the farmland is gone. This is what has happened, for example, with the Aswan Dam in Egypt. They thought they could improve upon God's design by not having the Nile flood and disrupt farmers' lives. The farmers have put up with it for milennia. And now look at the economy of Egypt..it's a wonder the place has remained so politically stable. I'm not sure if the Aswan Dam was a WB project but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Getting back to the point....I think Bono is smarter in some regards than many realize. He has become cognizant of the fact that in some aspects (heretical as it may be to say this) without him, the issue dies. And before any of you flame me, think back and see how much media attention and *ACTION* was taken on this issue in 2003-2004, and compare that with the years he was visible and on tour. He has found out that he really *DOES* have to travel the world flogging the issues to death because in a world where the new American Idol winner could bump a massacre in Iraq off the front page (and keep it off for days, or for good) someone of his caliber of celebrity is needed. The public will go back to eating the aforementioned Hot Pockets while watching footage of starving people on TV. These days, it's "reality TV"--it's good entertaniment.

I think, too, what is most remarkable these days is also Bono's (public at least) sense of undiminished hope--as if hope is itself a self-propelling force with a life of its own, irregardless of the facts on the ground.

Show me a cynic who actually has *constructive detailed plans* and does not disprage his fellow advoctates, and I'll have greater respect. I'm sick of self-righteous cynics who at least do not have token praise for those who follow them in their efforts. If this guy was sincere, he would praise Bono's efforts and offer encouragement, while giving *constructive* criticism.

Teta040 said:
[BThe thing that set me off was reading he worked for the *World Bank*. This organization is THE #1 doofus when it comes to aid. I wonder how many of you have done research on the grand scenarios and truly colassal frig-ups the World Bank has done over the decades, esp in places like Sub-Saharan Africa. Marching in there with grand schemes, thinking that they knew best what was good for a country without bothering to get the boots on the ground and go small-scale. Doing things like building huge dams on rivers for irrigation purposes, and 30 yrs later the river silts up and 50% of the farmland is gone. This is what has happened, for example, with the Aswan Dam in Egypt. They thought they could improve upon God's design by not having the Nile flood and disrupt farmers' lives. The farmers have put up with it for milennia. And now look at the economy of Egypt..it's a wonder the place has remained so politically stable. I'm not sure if the Aswan Dam was a WB project but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

. [/B]

speaking of the World Bank, did people see this latest report on corruption in that body?
http://www.whistleblower.org/content/press_detail.cfm?press_id=408
apparently, Mr. Wolfowitz has been none too useful in creating new transparency of operation there...

and have people checked out that book "Confessions of an Economic Hitman?" I just saw an interview with the author... Amazing stuff on how the US gov't and big corporations screw the developing world. amazing stuff. I don't think most people will take it seriously, but it basically claims that we have been forcing/bribing many nations to take on huge debts, then taking their coveted resources as payment on them, profits to be sort of split between leaders willing to sell their countries and the US-based corporations who get the resources.

cheers!

Back
Top Bottom