(03-23-2007) A Time for Miracles - TIME*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
A Time for Miracles

By BONO

Fifty years ago this week, the idea of Europe was set to paper, on a continent unsettled but past the worst of the postwar period. The air was clear of sulfur if not spleen. Ireland was a small rock in the North Atlantic made relevant only by its cultural totems and ever increasing diaspora. In Berlin a chasm was opening up between East and West--the partition of lives, fortunes and fates. In the global struggle between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R., between freedom and totalitarianism, Europe was the fault line and the front line. Old Europe was being rebuilt to fight the next war: a battle not just of ideologies but also, very possibly, of nuclear arsenals. It was not a moment for dreaming--more like one for digging a basement and ordering a year's supply of tinned soup.

And yet this was the moment the New Europe was born.

On the continent that had been the theater for mankind's darkest hour, we witnessed a very human miracle. The people of Europe found that their capacity for destruction was mirrored by an equally immense capacity for forgiveness, grace and hope. Looking to the U.S., Europeans could see how cherry-picked European ideas from minds like Locke, Rousseau and Tom Paine could flourish in a society not polluted by blood and aristocracy. And so, in 1957, six nations signed the Treaty of Rome and, with that one crucial act, built a showcase of multilateralism, prosperity and international solidarity.

Fast-forward 50 years. An Irish rock star reads the treaty with the enthusiasm a child has for cold peas but does uncover what I think technocrats might call poetry. Not much of it--just a turn of phrase here and there. Like Article 177, which summons the signatories to foster "the sustainable economic and social development of the developing countries and more particularly the most disadvantaged among them" and calls for a "campaign against poverty in the developing countries." Not exactly Thomas Jefferson but a glimpse of the kind of vision that might bind us.

Over the next 50 years, we might need a little more poetry. Europe is a thought that has to become a feeling--one based on the belief that Europe stands only if injustice falls and that we find our feet only when our neighbors stand with us in freedom and equality. Our humanity is diminished when we have no mission bigger than ourselves. And one way to define who we are might be to spend more time looking across the eight miles of Mediterranean Sea that separates Europe from Africa.

There's an Irish word, meitheal. It means that the people of the village help one another out most when the work is the hardest. Most Europeans are like that. As individual nations, we may argue over the garden fence, but when a neighbor's house goes up in flames, we pull together and put out the fire. History suggests it sometimes takes an emergency for us to draw closer. Looking inward won't cut it. As a professional navel gazer, I recommend against that form of therapy for anything other than songwriting. We discover who we are in service to one another, not the self.

Today many rooms in our neighbor's house, Africa, are in flames. From the genocide in Darfur to the deathbeds in Kigali, with six AIDS patients stacked onto one cot, from the child dying of malaria to the village without clean water, conditions in Africa are an affront to every value we Europeans have ever seen fit to put on paper. We see in Somalia and Sudan what happens if more militant forces fill the void and stir dissent within what is, for the most part, a pro-Western and moderate Muslim population. (Nearly half of Africa's people are devotees of Islam.) So whether as a moral or strategic imperative, it's folly to let this fire rage.

How will Europe respond? For all the babble of clashing ideas, there's more harmony than you might think. Historic promises have been made on aid, debt and even the thorny subject of trade. Aggressive progress on these, matched by advances in fighting the evils of corruption in Africa, could transform the continent and prevent the fire from spreading. As a group, the E.U. countries have promised to commit 0.7% of GDP to the poorest of the poor. How Europe works to keep that promise is as important to Europe as it is to Africa.

We might remember that Europe, 50 years ago, did not pull itself back from the abyss on its own. Across the Atlantic was a nation with a pretty broad notion of neighbor. Sure, the Marshall Plan wasn't all altruism--the U.S. wanted a bulwark against Soviet expansion as the temperature of relations dropped below freezing. But it was also generosity on a scale never before seen in human history. It defined America in the cold war era.

What will define Europe in this new era? What will provide the bulwark against the extremism of our age?

Part of the answer lies eight miles away.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1601932,00.html

Thanks Jayne!

Wow. Thank you for posting. Another eloquent piece of writing from the B man, he is so gifted and someone I thank God for!
I love that he gives America props by mentioning the Marshall Plan. With not much these days to feel proud of, this is something looking back as an American I can feel incredibly proud of, especially knowing that 2 of my family members are buried in France, giving the ultimate sacrifice during WWII.
Thank you Bono for remembering.

U2Man said:
people like bono rarely write articles like that themselves.
Oh yes, he does. He said so in several inteviews. Writes all his speeches, too.
He loves writing and is very eloquent in it, he always says journalism is something that would have been his carreer choice if he wouldn't be in a band.

The ironic thing is Bono said we may need a little more poetry in the next 50 years.

And then he goes on to continue his own poetry.

Thanks for posting.

U2Man said:
people like bono rarely write articles like that themselves.

Have you read U2 by U2?
Just curious. If you have, I don't see how you can possibly think he can't write like that.
Do you think he is a total farce or just has the help of "ghost writers" and editors who punch up his verbage because he doesn't have time to "polish" something he has scribbled down?

i have read some of u2 by u2.

and i do think that bono is a very intelligent rock star.

however like all other people that represent governments, institutions, charity organizations etc., i do think that he is getting help from professional writers. i cannot prove it, but i would be surprised if he didnt.

U2Man said:
i have read some of u2 by u2.

and i do think that bono is a very intelligent rock star.

however like all other people that represent governments, institutions, charity organizations etc., i do think that he is getting help from professional writers. i cannot prove it, but i would be surprised if he didnt.

Ok, gotcha! I can see where you are coming from.

For me, I'm not gushing here, I honestly think he is the kind of guy that speaks for himself and wouldn't let anybody else say it for him. Especially since this is his organization/baby. He seems to like control too, which can be both a bad thing and a good thing at times.

Jeannieco said:

Have you read U2 by U2?
Just curious. If you have, I don't see how you can possibly think he can't write like that.
Do you think he is a total farce or just has the help of "ghost writers" and editors who punch up his verbage because he doesn't have time to "polish" something he has scribbled down?

what does reading u2 by u2 have to do with it? (just curious). it's not as if bono wrote u2 by u2 or anything.

just because he is smart does not mean bono doesn't have editors who help him with his writing. even the most talented writers work with editors ...

I have recently read an interview in a German magazine where Bono said that he writes everything himself ("with two fingers" lol), but he has people who look through his speeches and stuff and talk to him about possible corrections etc. Of course this is something that most people do, famous or not. I work as an editor myself and get a lot of texts from people who just want a second opinion and are not sure if there are errors etc., because for you as a writer it's always hard to figure out if there's something wrong with a certain phrasing, since you cannot be objective about your own writing.
But hello, this does not mean that Bono lets other people write his stuff.

Every author has editors who take care of his work. That does not mean that an author doesn't write his texts himself.

It's a ridiculous argument, and I find it sad that some people have to downplay everything Bono does and cannot simply recognise it or have at least a little respect for it.

cg said:

what does reading u2 by u2 have to do with it? (just curious). it's not as if bono wrote u2 by u2 or anything.

just because he is smart does not mean bono doesn't have editors who help him with his writing. even the most talented writers work with editors ...

The original insinuation made it sound like Bono didn't write a single a word of it.
U2 by U2 is full of Bono's lovely writing by the way....

U2 " In their own words"...... get it?? :)

last unicorn said:

It's a ridiculous argument, and I find it sad that some people have to downplay everything Bono does and cannot simply recognise it or have at least a little respect for it.

i dont think anyone did that in this thread.

Jeannieco said:

The original insinuation made it sound like Bono didn't write a single a word of it.
U2 by U2 is full of Bono's lovely writing by the way....

U2 " In their own words"...... get it?? :)

um, no.

u2 by u2 was written by neil mccormick based on transcriptions of audio interviews he did with the band.

Last edited:
^^Yes, Neil McCormick transcribed that book but those are not HIS words they are U2's. You know what I am getting at why split hairs? I could come up with other examples of Bono's eloquent writing such as his speech " On The Move" made into a book recently released. Did you read that? Those are most definitely his own words; his writing. Edited? Yes, maybe, but those are his words!
I have nothing against editors , but again my statement was in reply to an insinuation (ie, implication) that Bono did not write that article. Writing and editiing are two different things.

We were having a perfectly civil conversation, don't get ugly now. :D :)

Jeannieco said:
^^Yes, Neil McCormick transcribed that book but those are not HIS words they are U2's. You know what I am getting at why split hairs? I could come up with other examples of Bono's eloquent writing such as his speech " On The Move" made into a book recently released. Did you read that? Those are most definitely his own words; his writing. Edited? Yes, maybe, but those are his words!
I have nothing against editors , but again my statement was in reply to an insinuation (ie, implication) that Bono did not write that article. Writing and editiing are two different things.

We were having a perfectly civil conversation, don't get ugly now. :D :)

yes i have read "on the move" and i noticed that on the back cover flap bono prominently thanks his editors ...
:wink:

sorry if you feel i am being "ugly."

i am in agreement with you regarding bono's linguistic brilliance and overall intelligence.

Another great piece of writing from Bono. I especially like "We discover who we are in service to one another, not the self." He has been a good example of getting stuff done and not just sitting around thinking about it.

:up: :bono:

....I think we all know that Bono will quite happily seek the opinion of anyone around him at any given time, even with regard to his lyrics....he does this because he is not stupid.....tis a little thing called research...there is always more, always something other to consider......its what separates a good writer/journalist from a hack.........more power to him!

Very nice piece by Bono. I have no doubt that he wrote it himself either, unlike most of our politicians around the world, they dont have to use their own intelligence for anything, and some of them dont have any.

From what I have been able to hear and from some transcripts I've read of his speeches, this sounds just like what I've heard or seen before.
I have no doubt he has someone edit his published material, but body and/or passion has not changed. Other than possible sentence restructuring or putting his words in a cohesive beginning and ending is all I would say has been changed or edited. But I'm not an editor or anything so don't ask for my credentials. Just an unprofessional opinion. :wink:

:up: excellent piece. Mr Hewson is much more intelligent with the written word than most people even yet know. His inspiration in lyric is one thing, his writing such as this article is quite another. Well done.

Carek1230 said:
:up: excellent piece. Mr Hewson is much more intelligent with the written word than most people even yet know. His inspiration in lyric is one thing, his writing such as this article is quite another. Well done.

Yes indeedy! I love his writing, so eloquent!

He needs to write his own book about his remarkable life from his own point of view. That would be incredible!
Can you imagine the stories he has to tell?

i work as a journalist in a newspaper and all materials are usually edited and re-written. in a case where the writer is someone with a level of prominence as bono, it is possible that the stuff isnt edited at all or is, but returned to the writer for final approval.

a reader's letter was published in the mag's next edition and said that bono's call for government to government aid to help africans is wishful thinking. billions of dollars have been disbursed but to no use and they've simply disappeared. the only hope is people to people aid, like what oprah recently provided at her leadership academy for girls in south africa. she personally funded, supervised and approved the curriculum.

now if we can find another billionaire who would do the same thing, there would be hope for saving africa from itself. i wonder if bono, or even u2, is willing to go that far?

There is a recent interview in the German newspaper Die Zeit, quite a long and very interesting interview with Bono, where he speaks in great details about how aid to Africa has to work and what he wants organisations, including his own lobby group DATA, to do in order to help achieve these goals. He talks a lot about corruption, which is the worst problem in Africa, worse than AIDS and everything, and how we have to make sure that the money is spend correctly and does not disappear like it has done for so many years, unfortunatly. He always emphasizes the importance of private charity, but at the same times says that there have to be strict controls about which projects the money is going to excactly. He also talked about the Global Fund and how people running it have learned from past mistakes, e. g. not knowing where the money was going.
I think it's safe to assume that Bono knows very well that it is not enough to ask governments for money, but that aid has to be much more than that.
The ultimate goal is to help African countries to help themselves, so they won't be dependent on foreign aid forever.

Back
Top Bottom