(03-17-2006) Bono's speaking tour will bring him to Dallas - Dallas Morning News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rather interesting timing too, he'll be pretty close to New Orleans right in the middle of Jazzfest weekends.....

Nightsong said:
Rather interesting timing too, he'll be pretty close to New Orleans right in the middle of Jazzfest weekends.....

I was thinking the same thing but can't be in two places at one time. That would be a lot of crazy driving from Baton Rouge, LA for me. The talk is a definite while the Fest is a long shot...

I wonder if he'd jet set to NO for Saturday or Sunday. It would be great though if he did visit NO for the Fest. :)

Just joined the Council and will buy my ticket soon. :)

Dallas News

When Bono Comes to Town

He'll be advocating for a stable Africa

12:00 AM CDT on Wednesday, April 26, 2006

U2 sold out its most recent Dallas concert in less than 15 minutes, but tickets still remain for a rare lecture by the band's lead singer on May 5. It seems that many people wrongly assumed that the World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth event had sold out, a logical conclusion when you consider that Dallas is an outward-looking, international city full of people who care – not just about Bono's art, but about his issues, too.

Even though Bono has been a champion of African debt relief and AIDS policy for decades, he has tailored his message for a post-9/11 world: An unstable Africa is a nightmare for anyone who hopes to win the war on terrorism.

How did this rock star gain so much clout that he co-founded the respected activist group DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa), helped promote last year's worldwide Live 8 concerts and persuaded members of the G-8 to forgive billions in African debt? How did a guy who started out singing Christian punk songs as a teenager in Ireland end up as a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize?

After U2 appeared in 1985's Live Aid concert to rally help for Ethiopia, Bono didn't immediately ride the wave of international exposure to a new album and world tour. Rather, he and his wife, Ali, lived for months in an Ethiopian refugee camp. After that, Bono decided to become more than just a spokesman for Africa – a true leader searching for solutions, often telling the hard and uncomfortable truth his audience doesn't want to hear.

James Falk, president of the World Affairs Council, says he has been fielding congratulatory phone calls for weeks for what his group has accomplished by booking Bono. He calls Bono "a man of incredible substance" and notes that how Dallas embraces this rare opportunity says a lot about the community.

If we're lovers of rock music with meaning, we trample over one another for a chance to be entertained. And if we're lovers of ideas that can change the world, this should be the hottest ticket in town. For tickets to the May 5 lecture at the Music Hall at Fair Park, call 972-647-5700 or go to the Web site www.dfwworld.org.

You know, this really pisses me off. This writer is obviously clueless and didn't do his/her homework. Don't come out and criticize the people of Dallas for not selling out a program that is well beyond what people can afford.

My girlfriend at work would die to have a ticket to the show, but she ain't payin' no $500!!! That's why the stupid thing isn't sold out! The WAC is asking too much for most of the seats. Only about 25% or less were the $25 tickets. Those and the $50 seats sold out in no time. Eventually so did the $100 seats. There is no difference between those prices and the cost of a concert ticket. But blaming Dallas for not buying out the $500 tickets?!?!?! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess WAC thought U2 fans were rich, well, they were wrong!

Last edited:
I think the article was just trying to get the tickets sold. There are still $50 and $100 tickets available at member pricing. I have confirmed with WAC that a member is "welcome to buy as many Bono tickets as you wish at the member discount" Just go back to ticketmaster and use your code again. Not sure if I would rely on TM to get them mailed so will call would probably be your best bet.
Also there is a imited number of $25 tickets available that have been pulled from TM. They are in the rafters but if you are seriously interested in these, send me a PM asap.

Nightsong said:
I think the article was just trying to get the tickets sold. There are still $50 and $100 tickets available at member pricing. I have confirmed with WAC that a member is "welcome to buy as many Bono tickets as you wish at the member discount" Just go back to ticketmaster and use your code again. Not sure if I would rely on TM to get them mailed so will call would probably be your best bet.
Also there is a imited number of $25 tickets available that have been pulled from TM. They are in the rafters but if you are seriously interested in these, send me a PM asap.

OK, thanks for the info. I'll talk to her tomorrow and help her out. She was going through the public sale and that's all they had. But since I'm a member I can do that. I just wish the website was more clear on how many tickets you could buy. They made it sound like only you and a guest when you became a member. Not multiple guests.

Who is profitting from this event? The WAC?

If it were a charity event, I could understand a $500 "donation". Is Bono taking money for speaking engagements??

oktobergirl said:
Who is profitting from this event? The WAC?

If it were a charity event, I could understand a $500 "donation". Is Bono taking money for speaking engagements??

:hmm:

Not sure.

I know that they will have to afford the renting of the Music Hall at Fair Park, which ain't cheap since that money I'm sure goes to the city. While if it was connected to like SMU given by SMU, it might have been cheaper.

Allegra said:

:hmm:

Not sure.

I know that they will have to afford the renting of the Music Hall at Fair Park, which ain't cheap since that money I'm sure goes to the city. While if it was connected to like SMU given by SMU, it might have been cheaper.

That's what I was wondering, if it really costs THAT much (all the tickets total) to have the venue. Bono doesn't always get money. There's no WAY the Econ Club of GR could afford him based on the price of the dinner ticket (plus that price is the same for every annual dinner). Also, all the DATA things were free and I know Bono wouldn't get money b/c it's partially his org, but it was free and Lance Armstrong, Ashley Judd, Wynona Judd, and Chris Tucker were all there.

Back
Top Bottom