(03-14-2006) Best Guitarist: The Edge -- Esquire*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Best Guitarist: The Edge

Esquire magazine has given Edge its Esky Music Award for Best Guitarist. Of the U2 guitar hero, the magazine says:

"Influence? Ingenuity? Sheer grace? The Edge has got 'em. If Bono is U2's magnetic rattle, he who was born David Evans is U2's gloriously infallible and apolitical hum. And he's not just a guitarist's guitarist, he's also the heart and soul of one of the most important rock bands ever. We think if anyone in U2 should have a God complex, it's this man. That he doesn't is even better."

We can't help but agree.

U2 is also included in Esquire's poll of The Best Song of the 21st Century with "Beautiful Day" battling it out against 31 other songs. The winning song will be chosen via single-elimination match-ups and "Beautiful Day" is pitted against The Strokes' "Last Nite." The winner of that match will go up against either 50 Cent's "In Da Club" or The Postal Service's "Such Great Heights."

According to the magazine, "Beautiful Day" has already received, as of January 31st, an impressive 11 percent of votes, placing it just behind Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" with 14 percent. To place your vote visit Esquire.com.

The Esky Awards and complete list of nominated songs in The Best Songs of the 21st Century are featured in the April 2006 issue of Esquire.

U2 "Beautiful Day" vs. Radiohead "Kid A"

:ohmy:

[musn't choose... can't choose... 'Tis difficult]

Apparently the intellectual gifts at Esquire are spread so thin that they are unable to praise Edge as he so richly deserves without taking potshots at The Bon. Edge is not apolitical, for crying out loud, and Bono does not have a God complex. If they want to say Edge is not as noisy and annoying as Bon can be, then damn well say it! We love them both, warts and all.

Congratulations, Edge. How typical of this existence that this comes at a time when you couldn't give a rat's ass about it!

I'm glad to see Edge getting more recognition -- which he so richly deserves -- but how about Music Rising? It might not be political but it's activism!

Go Edge!!:edge: My life would be not be complete without your guitar intro for Mysterious way.:up:

rock on Edge :rockon:

wow I like how they have Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" pitted against Radiohead's "Kid A". Kid A? WTF is up with that anyway? They could have picked Idioteque or something. do people even know the song Kid A that don't have the album?

umm. Finally some props for the Edge. Esquire though? Ehh...they're not so musically inclined to be deciding the best song of the 21st century, Rolling Stone would be much cooler.

And RS did rank Edge in their 100 greatest guitarists at 24. Over Eddie Van Halen, Joe Perry, David Gilmour, Angus Young...oh yeah...

Feel Good, Inc? Umm it's catchy and fun to dance to, but as an actually song? Musically? And I bet it doesn't explode live as Bday does either...go U2!

Best song of the 21st Century - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - far more resonant than Beautiful Day. Even better would/will be Mercy - had/when they release it.

beautiful day is now at 15%, 2nd only to Feel Good Inc., which is a great song owing to a U2 melody (Staring at the Sun). Remarkable! :)

Back
Top Bottom